Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: caton v4  (Read 2036 times)

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
caton v4
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »

I was given a Maxwell Hemmens  caton boiler and v4 engine and being new to steam I have had the boiler steamed to 40 psi and it holds pressure and I have run the engine on air at 30 psi the engine runs in both directions but seems a to be slow is it a good idea to put new rings into the engine and how do I determine the correct size of o ring to use any help please
Rick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: caton v4
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:27:38 pm »

Rick......a few things to consider

1. if the Caton V4 has been unused for a period of time, the engine internals could be a little gummed up
2. unlubricated air is just that...it contains no lubrication

If the engine has the water pump connected, disconnect the eccentric drive yoke [treat stiction in the pump as a separate issue]
Drain to waste any existing oil in the steam displacement lubricator
Inject some quality light oil [sewing machine oil would be OK] into the steam inlet and exhaust ports
Turn the engine over by hand [or very low speed via a battery drill] until the effort reduces

If you are unable to obtain a reliable history of the steam plant, it may be advisable to de-scale the boiler internals
Silicate buildup [from hard water usage] if dislodged can do near irreparable damage to the engine cylinder bores
You will need to use genuine Steam Oil in the displacement lubricator

Why not have a talk with a Model Steam Club.......they can be a wealth of friendly information and help

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:12:29 am »

Thank you Derek for the help
Rick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:40:17 am »

Rick...I was a little short for time earlier, hence some missing thoughts

1. the Maxwell Hemmens plant you have inherited could be termed as top class manufactured equipment and with normal good steaming practices should last the proverbial lifetime
2. you could pull the engine apart, however I would recommend the procedures noted earlier and disassembly only if it was determined that cylinder steam bypass was established
3. the engine and boiler plant being attractively designed would suit an open Launch with the plant completely visible
4. when you disconnect the boiler makeup water pump, the simple withdrawal of the water piston will also give you an indication of the quality of the boiler water previously used

The determination and O-ring sizing is a simple process, however again as suggested that this strip-down process is a last resort

You may well find other MBM members who have the same plant will offer suggestions

Keep us posted and with photographs of the work......Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

pipercub1772

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:17:12 pm »

Rick, I would only strip the engine down as a absolute last resort, this is a much sought after steam plant and not to be messed with unless you are fully knowledgeable  about its operation , never had a max 4 but i have several max 2 engines as with most steam engines left overtime as Derek said the problem most certain is gumming up with dried steam oil ,my way and others probably might not agree is to simply pop the engine in a dish of some sort with some turps/white spirit brush allover with a soft small paint brush on top of the cylinder heads as well ,notice the small holes in the cylinder heads they must be clear they a mitt a small amount of wet steam when running also put some in the steam entry and turn over by hand several times you should feel a difference  when you have done that dry off and put some very light oil in the steam entry and all moving parts remember if running on air you must periodically put some light oil in the air line as i say this is what i have done withe most engines i have got and never experienced any problems after ,as i say a great steam plant so much so one went on ebay only this year for approximately  £2500.00 if my suggestion dose not help i recommend seeking professional advice, best wishes Allan   

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:28:33 pm »

Thank you for the replies I have decided not to take the engine apart as I find it would lead to more problems than I can handle so if I find latter that the engine is not running well after I cleaning it up I will look to send to get fixed by a person who is up on repairing and refurbishing steam engines .
Regards Rick   

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:47:15 am »

Rick......on 21st January 2010, a member called Bunkerbarge posted the following as an owner of a Caton V4

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22028.msg216531.html#msg216531

You may wish to read the thread

Derek

PS...if you click on his Profile you can see the link to See Posts....I found this on the electric page 19.......there are plenty more pages, I am sure you would find his V4 installation thread
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.