Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat Propeller Designer 3D printing  (Read 1010 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boat Propeller Designer 3D printing
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:49:38 pm »

I came across this item on Thingiverse today.

Looks like it could be useful for making your own props if you have a 3D printer.

Does anyone know anything about it?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3384835

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Model Boat Propeller Designer 3D printing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 05:12:40 pm »

Looks like an App/script designed to run in OpenScad free CAD software.

OpenScad is downloadable off the interwebs...  :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 05:16:30 pm »

Would you have to learn it or could you just tinker with the main parameters affecting number and size of blades etc. as mentioned in the description? I have a friend who printed out a set of feathering paddle wheels parts from a free source. He doesn't know CAD but was able to scale the size to the diameter I needed and print them off.

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 07:01:05 pm »

Sounds like you could tinker with it, then push it to the slicer and print.
Still might be some basic learning on the software itself. I still can't use Delftship very well...

Learning CAD is an exercise, and I feel like I make forty steps for every three a good CAD operator makes.
But I did manage a replacement fan last summer in the middle of a heat wave.  %)
Finding the right YouTube tutorial is absolutely indispensable.  ok2

RST

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 07:41:34 pm »

By the time I finished university as a Nav Arch. graduate I was fairly competent on autoship and autoload -ready for professional training.  These days I can't remember any of it, just the principles!  I spent too much time the last 2 decades on 2-D CAD and can't seem to get my mind to transition back.

I wouldn't rule out "tinkercad".  I've got lots of projects on the go for an azimuthing drive and am printing kort nozzles all the time to suit propellers about 20mm diameter.  I do have a nice flament printer that can print very small sizes which I admit is a luxury.  It's surprising what you can do in tinkercad without proper CAD knowledge though.  I still rank as a complete amateur.

For the azimuthing drive, I've got brass 6mm outer diameter bevel gears to fit in the c13mm casing.  Almost too small to handle and struggling to think how I can get them to work reliably -it's a long-term project!  The pic posted is just rough prints in ABS to see how they work -bear in mind the kort on both is only something like 24-25m diameter and not sanded or smoothed.

I'm not adverse to grabbing a file off thingverse and transforming it in tinkercad, but only if tinkercad fails me to make it first.  My little puffer at 1:48 was grabbed and modified from basic thingiverse prints for the hull.

Not sure if this helps,

Rich

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:59:47 am »

Just downloaded the file and installed OpenSCAD and it look like a good starting point for a prop with sharp edges, I don't see any possibility to get nice rounded blades like tugs and freighters have, and I'm missing the possibility to set it up to be mounted with a Dog Drive or inside threaded.

Maybe one can just do the tread after the print. I'll design one and print it later today, stay tuned for an update
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 03:24:51 pm »

Did a design to fit the prop on my Classic, it came out ok, picture is a close-up it is only 28mm in diameter. And I have to find a way of attaching it to the shaft, so I can test it on the water, and not sure that PLA is the right material for this.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.