Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cura questions from a new user  (Read 287 times)

RST

• Full Mayhemer
Cura questions from a new user
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:42:56 PM »

Hi,

Jut starting in 3-D printing and getting surprisingly good results on a stupidly cheap small Steadytech / Moniprice printer with PLA.

Is anyone failiar with Cura sicing program?  I have some questions I can't find answer to on google so far...

I'm having problems wih the Cura generated .gcode file only saving a part % of the print.  I'm doing a preview of the process before saving the .gcode file -if I'm only looking at a part percentage on the preview it seems not to write the full file.  Is that normal?  I've had one good print so far, otherwise printer keeps stopping 20mins into a 1h print (it's only a small part).  I only noticed when I had a brainwave and dragged the .gcode file back into Cura -no wonder, it's only been producing 20% of the layers, save for the one good time!

When the print finishes, the extruder stops dead on the spot.  It's generating a hole/blob on the part at the end of the print.  Can't see a way of retracting the extruder head away at the end of the print, just a 5mm vertical retreat would do.  Can't find a way to program that so far -any pointers please?  There's maybe a term for it I'm not getting right on google.

Is Cura the best "easy" slicer to use?  I think this is the default program for my machine.  But it's doing some strange things sometimes -filling some objects which are "cut-outs" / "holes" rather than "solids".

...This is just an entry into the 3-D world for me.  Stupidly cheap printer but it has great reviews.  I understand most of the settings, but the above are eluding me at the moment.

Also: I'd like to know although I understand why not to print via USB (which seems counter-intuative), but my machine has a USB port but it does nothing when laprop is connected -why even bother fitting it and giving a cable in the box!  Is that normal??Thaks for any guidelines,Rich

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cura questions from a new user
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »

I dont use cura as my machine has its own dedicated slicer, my slicer shows a preview of the object after it has sliced, including any supports, so I can check whether it is complete. most problems come when there is a problem with the original cad file, a missing face or a gap somewhere.

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:10:11 PM »

I re-drew everything, no difference -just worse.  Seemed to be a problem with Cura slicer.  Uninstalled, re-installed and nothing worked still, then all of a sudden (changed nothing, honest), it started working fine!  The .gcode files went from 0kb (dead give-away) to actually having some file size.  My windows defender then started complaining yesterday afternoon also, dunno if was related.  All working now -very impressed with the results!

Must have not installed properly first time because now: 1) all my .gcode files have a "Cura" icon, 2) Cura doesn't automatically close at the end of saving a .gcode file, 3) Cura slices and previews as you change settings now rather than having to press a button at the end, 4) the extruder automatically retracts and moves to "home" at the end of a print now.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »

whew, glad you have managed to get it all working, sometimes its necessary to run the program with added admin authorisation to get things working properly.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »

I use Cura, only just seen this - glad you got it sorted, happy to help if required in the future!

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:44:02 AM »

I use Cura, only just seen this - glad you got it sorted, happy to help if required in the future!
....Just saw your message now.  A genuine IT glitch when it installed it seems.  My printers only a cheapy, but already knocked out a Bantam tug hull 350mm long costing about 4.50 of filament.  Cura works perfectly, just have to learn a bit better 3-D program as I pretty much mastered tinkercad now, time to try fusion 360 again.  Unfortunately its now almost 20 years since I last used Autoship and forget how to actually design in it anyway, still have it -if my old Vaio laptop even still works.  Need to find a decent hull design package I can re-learn.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:15:07 AM »

I think the Cura is very popular with 'Makers Muse' on Utube....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!
Pages: [1]   Go Up