Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cura questions from a new user  (Read 2995 times)

RST

Cura questions from a new user
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:42:56 pm »

Hi,

Jut starting in 3-D printing and getting surprisingly good results on a stupidly cheap small Steadytech / Moniprice printer with PLA.

Is anyone failiar with Cura sicing program?  I have some questions I can't find answer to on google so far...

I'm having problems wih the Cura generated .gcode file only saving a part % of the print.  I'm doing a preview of the process before saving the .gcode file -if I'm only looking at a part percentage on the preview it seems not to write the full file.  Is that normal?  I've had one good print so far, otherwise printer keeps stopping 20mins into a 1h print (it's only a small part).  I only noticed when I had a brainwave and dragged the .gcode file back into Cura -no wonder, it's only been producing 20% of the layers, save for the one good time!

When the print finishes, the extruder stops dead on the spot.  It's generating a hole/blob on the part at the end of the print.  Can't see a way of retracting the extruder head away at the end of the print, just a 5mm vertical retreat would do.  Can't find a way to program that so far -any pointers please?  There's maybe a term for it I'm not getting right on google.

Is Cura the best "easy" slicer to use?  I think this is the default program for my machine.  But it's doing some strange things sometimes -filling some objects which are "cut-outs" / "holes" rather than "solids".

...This is just an entry into the 3-D world for me.  Stupidly cheap printer but it has great reviews.  I understand most of the settings, but the above are eluding me at the moment.

Also: I'd like to know although I understand why not to print via USB (which seems counter-intuative), but my machine has a USB port but it does nothing when laprop is connected -why even bother fitting it and giving a cable in the box!  Is that normal??Thaks for any guidelines,Rich

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cura questions from a new user
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:30 am »

I dont use cura as my machine has its own dedicated slicer, my slicer shows a preview of the object after it has sliced, including any supports, so I can check whether it is complete. most problems come when there is a problem with the original cad file, a missing face or a gap somewhere.

RST

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:10:11 pm »

I re-drew everything, no difference -just worse.  Seemed to be a problem with Cura slicer.  Uninstalled, re-installed and nothing worked still, then all of a sudden (changed nothing, honest), it started working fine!  The .gcode files went from 0kb (dead give-away) to actually having some file size.  My windows defender then started complaining yesterday afternoon also, dunno if was related.  All working now -very impressed with the results!

Must have not installed properly first time because now: 1) all my .gcode files have a "Cura" icon, 2) Cura doesn't automatically close at the end of saving a .gcode file, 3) Cura slices and previews as you change settings now rather than having to press a button at the end, 4) the extruder automatically retracts and moves to "home" at the end of a print now.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:08 pm »

whew, glad you have managed to get it all working, sometimes its necessary to run the program with added admin authorisation to get things working properly.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:08 pm »

I use Cura, only just seen this - glad you got it sorted, happy to help if required in the future!

RST

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:44:02 am »

I use Cura, only just seen this - glad you got it sorted, happy to help if required in the future!
....Just saw your message now.  A genuine IT glitch when it installed it seems.  My printers only a cheapy, but already knocked out a Bantam tug hull 350mm long costing about £4.50 of filament.  Cura works perfectly, just have to learn a bit better 3-D program as I pretty much mastered tinkercad now, time to try fusion 360 again.  Unfortunately its now almost 20 years since I last used Autoship and forget how to actually design in it anyway, still have it -if my old Vaio laptop even still works.  Need to find a decent hull design package I can re-learn.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:15:07 am »

I think the Cura is very popular with 'Makers Muse' on Utube....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

Re: Cura questions from a new user (new version not working)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 07:37:33 pm »

Just to say I got the pop-up for the new release and downloaded it 4.21 or summit.  It doesn't work, couldn't even open the program. Lots of users having problems on the forums. None of the "fixes" worked for me. So back on the old version again. Had to re-install it from the original software provided on the SD card as there doesn't seem a way to install previous versions from curas website. Lucky I had the configuration to put back -in. All working and printing again. Anyone else struggling. Don't bother with the update!

Rich

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 05:59:13 pm »

I used cura for all my prints, neverhad a problem, that was last year. Had various other problems though, a volkswagen beetle shell picked up and started making a birds nest instead, melted filament was oozing out of the extruder silicone shield, I had to strip it while it was hot and get all the filament off/out of it. Still no idea why. Never tried that print again. It is an amazing technology once you get the basics mastered.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 06:27:23 pm »

i have had a hot end so messed up i had to use a hot air gun and a scraper.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 10:20:27 am »

OOOO Matron - as Kenneth Williams would say  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

RST

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 04:51:49 pm »

I don't suppose you guys know if flashforge printers will work with cura without editing the script print file? I'm seeing contradictory info online.  Tempted by a new printer I can do ABS on but kind of liking cura and not wanting to run another program now.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 08:08:25 pm »

It really depends on how the file was created.
When printing the  Tiver21 Damen 2810 tug, the Cura software left the bow off, and I had to patch it.
Mesh mixer couldn't patch the file either. I thought it might have been due to the enlargement I made prior to slicing.

Later, Cura refused to print the deck house. Same issue, only I noticed that it was an issue with the file. 
Again Meshmixer was not able to repair the file, so just for grins and giggles I tried the provided Creality software and
the deck house printed fully, and with no issues.
 So for all the better features that Cura, or Lichee might offer, they may be too smart in some instances.

:-)

RST

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 08:59:30 pm »

Hi,

My original post is so old now it probably doesn't relate.

I have had problems with cura since:. Basically I have learned when a pop-up says to download the latest version, not to do it for a while until bugs have been fixed!

I have a Flashforge printer now also which is semi-pro spec and learned the hard way the same thing.

...I'm not competent in code, so leave it to those who are to fix the bugs.  Otherwise when the slicers work, they are absolutely great!

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.