Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permagrit - but which tools?  (Read 4172 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Permagrit - but which tools?
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:37 am »

I have been granted permission to buy some Permagrit tools at Wings & Wheels this weekend but which ones?
Would those who own Permaqgrit please list, in order, those which they find the most useful?
As the owner of a large bag of semi worn out abrasive paper - which still has a good corner or two - I really don't know whether I want coarse or fine. Please advise.
There is a third question which I am posting separately.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Permagrit - but which tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:38:16 am »

I use them, as I work with glass composites a lot, which will wreck normal files very quickly. They're not cheap, but they do work well.

I find the coarse ones most useful, then do final finishing with papers, my most used Permagrit tool is a half round coarse file. They also do thin shim with the Permagrit tungsten carbide bonded on, which you can in turn bond onto blocks to make custom sanding tools. These are best value compared with the premade sanding blocks they sell.

The fine grades I find less useful, as you don't get such an efficient cutting action.

If you're working mainly with metals, unreinforced plastics and wood, then the benefits are much lower, and normal abrasives are probably just as good.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:59:45 am »

Thank you
I am working mainly with wood with the occasional tidying up of a fibreglass moulding.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:09:26 pm »

I'd just get one of these- https://www.permagrit.com/large-needle-file-half-round-18cm/

Covers 90% of my requirements, as you can file flat, curved, and get into corners. I have some diamond needle files for very small work- cheap on ebay. The latter are a lot less coarse though.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:47:17 pm »

I have had the needle file set for some 23 years now and still going strong,  :-))
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 01:05:33 pm »

I had not really considered a half round file but now you have pointed it out I can see it doing so many of those nasty tricky little jobs.
Added to list.
I have been considering

1. A wedge sanding block or more probably make my own out of 2. flexible file below.

2. A flexible file (or more than one) for making a sanding clock and possible conversion into a drum sander or for use around a former such as a dowel
https://www.permagrit.com/fxt-104/
3. A pair of cutting disks - I am less sure about these.
https://www.permagrit.com/rd3/
& now 4. A half round file.
https://www.permagrit.com/large-needle-file-half-round-18cm/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:52 pm »

I have had the needle file set for some 23 years now and still going strong,  :-))
I have always been wary of sets as they include items that I find useful & some that I don't and often don't represent much of a saving. I have had a socket set for 50 years & I am sure that there are some - probably Whitworth - which have never ever been used.
Which of them fall into the rarely used category or do you actually use all of them? I suspect that the half round file might well be enough - particularly if I got on of each size - but I wait to be educated.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:17:10 pm »

I bought the wedge sanding block for my SLEC Huntsman build on Dave Milbourn's recommendation and it proved to be very versatile and useful. The wedge ends allow you to get into areas where a rectangular block can't go and the top surfaces are excellent for truing up when sanding edges and flat surfaces. Just wish they were a bit cheaper.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 02:46:26 pm »

I bought the wedge sanding block for my SLEC Huntsman build on Dave Milbourn's recommendation and it proved to be very versatile and useful. The wedge ends allow you to get into areas where a rectangular block can't go and the top surfaces are excellent for truing up when sanding edges and flat surfaces. Just wish they were a bit cheaper.

Colin
That is the tool that I first looked at.
I agree about the price. It is amazing how easy it is to spend £100+ on just a few items

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 03:06:48 pm »

I would not get the cutting disk had one at some time I also got the hacksaw blade but they are co thick that makes them a waste of time.

As do I use all the files in the set then yes I do, as for my old Whitworth socket set then no as I do not have an old British bike now the same goes for my A/F set,

One thing that I would love to have is a metal working lathe but as I no idea how to use one it would just be taking up space that I do not have.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 05:59:55 pm »

I have a sanding block and two sets of file, standard and needle. I use them all the time. As for expense, you get what you pay for. These carry a life time guarantee.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »

I've had a selection of permagrits since they were first marketed to modellers 25 or so years ago. All have been used extensively, and all are still in good condition. Just get whichever ones look the most useful to you.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 06:49:33 pm »

Wedge Sanding Block. Hand File Flat Coarse.  Angle File Coarse. Cutting Discs Coarse. Hingle Slotter Coarse 6mm, Hinge Slotter Coarse 3mm. That is in order, the ones I use the most.
Also have needle files, round files, curved sanding blocks, plus various rotary drums. Very good for woodwork, fibreglass hull work, grinding down filler, and building robots....
I am on my second set of cutting discs and wedge sanding block, that is a very large amount of building that they have been through!
Highly recommended :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:40 am »

....................... Hingle Slotter Coarse 6mm, Hinge Slotter Coarse 3mm..................................
Highly recommended :-))

Thanks for the list. Love the Tin Man!. I didn't know that they sold hinge slotters nor can I see them on their web site. Do they have an alternative name.
It is clear that those who have answered find the needle file set more useful than I would have expected. I have only had cheap (rubbish) needle files in the past & have never found them very useful. I might have been missing something!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 08:34:38 am »

https://www.permagrit.com/spar-slotter-3mm-coarse/

Sorry, Spar Slotter, still very useful. I have the needle files set also. I did have to grind the sharp ends off them as I kept stabbing myself with them!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 12:38:44 pm »

The file I use is a larger than a needle file- more like a small file. I guess the utility of any tool depends on the nature and size of work.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 07:42:57 pm »

I have a flat file, about 3/8 x 1/8", which the nice chap with the hat split from a set at Alexandra Palace about eight years ago...it is getting near to needing replacing..that's how good the stuff is!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »

I have a flat file, about 3/8 x 1/8", which the nice chap with the hat split from a set at Alexandra Palace about eight years ago...it is getting near to needing replacing..that's how good the stuff is!

That sounds like the spar slotter that others have recommended.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 10:14:26 pm »

I think I've got most of their tools and to be honest I don't use that many.  I use the riflers mainly as have got me out of many awkward problems as I find them very versatile and they fit into really awkward places.

The files I have found to be not that much better than standard files but I only use them on metal and wood so I don't know how they perform on plastics.

The sanding blocks are very good on the medium grade for the sort of wood that we use but the rough side is so rough that I find it just tears the surface.  I would like them to make a block that uses there medium grade and a finer grade on the other side.

Also do not sand down anything that has epoxy resin in it.  It will clog the block and its very difficult to remove once its in the abrasive.

I think that if I had to replace them I would just but some really decent abrasive paper  -the sort that they use on professional car body work as its lasts for ages

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.