Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Model show trashed by moronic idiots  (Read 17977 times)

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model show trashed by moronic idiots
« on: May 18, 2019, 01:47:18 pm »

I feel sorry for not only the organisers but the modelers who have had their displays trashed....2 youths broke in and trashed the hall

https://www.mdmrc.org/

Dave

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Model show trashed by moronic idiots
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 02:12:06 pm »

Words fail me.  >>:-(

Why?
Don't Assume Check

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!

RST

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 04:43:33 pm »

Read about this on NGF earlier.  Just looked at the above link though, oh my days, some effort invested in that mess! I read it was 2 15 year olds arrested so far.  Little toerags!!  Probably dont even know how many folk they'll have affected.  Hopefully the insurance pays out at least.  I'd imagine that will put-off some folk from exhibiting in future.

Rich

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 05:38:06 pm »

What complete "xxxxx". Id love to see them given the birch but i guess they'll be sent on an expenses paid holiday to Disneyland in Florida because they come from broken homes etc.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 07:01:02 pm »

Sue them for the damage, repairs carried out at £50 an hour.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:10:40 pm »

They would probably have to pay at 50p a month.
Woman here fiddled 88K benefits and has to pay
Less than £8 per month and 12 month suspended
 <*< <*<
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:58:00 pm »

Having been a serving Prison Officer for over 20 years I have a somewhat biased opinion of the SH*t of the world who think "how funny would this be!" . If I had the power I would invoke two things 1. Steal you lose a hand! 2. National Service for not 2 years 5 years. The word "respect" no longer exists in our society, I am so glad that I am coming up to my one over 69 th birthday.
    Heaven help us if we have another world war! what would the younger generation do? Kill the invaders by bashing them with their mobile phones or tablets?
     Rant over! Faz.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:12:08 pm »

Just contacted the club to pass on our commiserations. I understand some items are irreplaceable we all know how they must feel.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 10:38:25 pm »

Having been a serving Prison Officer for over 20 years I have a somewhat biased opinion of the SH*t of the world who think "how funny would this be!" . If I had the power I would invoke two things 1. Steal you lose a hand! 2. National Service for not 2 years 5 years. The word "respect" no longer exists in our society, I am so glad that I am coming up to my one over 69 th birthday.
    Heaven help us if we have another world war! what would the younger generation do? Kill the invaders by bashing them with their mobile phones or tablets?
     Rant over! Faz.
I’ll vote for you  :-))  I’d also empty our jails of the thousands of murderers to make way for the other scum
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 11:00:17 pm »

It’s a despicable thing to happen, I don’t know what I’d do if my models were destroyed in similar circumstances. Unfortunately things like recommending National Service wouldn’t work these days, primarily the British Armed Forces will not accept anyone with a criminal record and even if they did it’s not the discipline minded force it used to be. The newest recruits in the RAF, and I can’t imagine the Army or Navy are any different, are more like schools these days in how they are run- no shouting or learning to be a proper team (what I mean by this is that if one person steps out of line the entire flight gets punished forcing the lower ranks to sort out their own) - these days you either get very quiet recruits or ones who don’t give a damn. It’s a shame as I used to think that military training would sort out most disrespectful youths but now I have doubts.
The only equivalent would be to destroy something they love but it would make you just as bad as them.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 11:04:34 pm »

As most of them walk around with a hand down their trackie bottoms in public maybe what they value is self evident
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 11:24:30 pm »

About 15 years ago as I understand it the authorities made it illegal to physically smack your kids for being bad.

Now the public wonder why we have 15 year olds breaking the law and carrying knives.  Go figure  <*<

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 12:21:51 am »

The sad part of this type of vandalism is that no amount of punishment will undo the destruction that's been wrought. Insurance may cover some of the cost, but the hundreds, perhaps even thousands of hours invested in the models can never be given back. I can only try to imagine how I would feel if it were to happen to me, I'd be devastated and disheartened to say the least. My commiserations to those affected.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 02:23:18 am »

Well, it started with Samuel.......[Samuel Plimsoll (1824 – 1898) was an English politician and social reformer]

Of course, his work was valued for human life, however ''do gooders" jumped on the Band Wagon and now some 125 years later this is what we get...

zero respect [from a mixed age generation] for anything ....law, society, environment ...etc...etc

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 08:05:06 am »

The sad part of this type of vandalism is that no amount of punishment will undo the destruction that's been wrought. Insurance may cover some of the cost, but the hundreds, perhaps even thousands of hours invested in the models can never be given back. I can only try to imagine how I would feel if it were to happen to me, I'd be devastated and disheartened to say the least. My commiserations to those affected.

Peter.
Peter
I very much doubt the insurance will cover it as most modellers do not value the cost of the model at full commercial rebuild.
From now on when I go to model shows where boats have to stay over night I will be using a commercial rebuild value so not longer about £1000 more like £25000.
Yes the two little 15 will not be named due to their age and get a token punishment.  This is what is wrong with both the CPS and judges and the courts

John

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 08:28:14 am »

I had intended to visit this show but was told by a family member that a report of vandalism had been published and that the show was cancelled.  I chose not to travel as I thought the organisers would have enough on their hands without well meaning members of the public turning up and trying to help !!   

I attach a link to an article in the local press with some photos of the damage.  Hopefully the link will work.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/four-youths-arrested-after-thousands-of-pounds-of-damage-forces-model-railway-show-to-be-cancelled-1-8932543

Sadly, I have to agree with the comments that these youths will not be punished in any meaningful way. Furthermore, the bleeding heart liberals, that run what is jokingly referred to as the Criminal Justice System, would never allow the punishments suggested in some of the posts no matter richly they are deserved.

Mick

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:23 am »

That is so *****  >>:-( <*<

Just looked at the video.  The louts didn't just trash the exhibits, they piecemeal destroyed every bit.
I very much doubt if they will receive any real punishment.   <:(
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:07:28 am »

This is more than vandalism. The level of destruction is manic but I am sure that they are such nice boys who love their mother & their brothers & sisters who wouldn't hurt a fly and just had a mad moment caused by the stress of being 15.  <*< <*< <*< <*< .

I would start with castration to make sure the little buggers didn't reproduce.

I feel so sorry for the modellers. We all know that the insurance payout will neither compensate nor remove the very bitter taste that this causes.

I live in a "safe" village but when we have had events with "valuable" exhibits we have had a couple of people sleep in the show room. I think this might change a few thoughts on security.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 01:58:23 pm »

It's made the national news now, heartbreaking really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48326572

I am slightly surprised that there appears to have been no overnight active security given the nature of the contents which had much more than monetary value. If I put one of my models into a show under those circunstances I would have wanted there to be somebody on site overnight.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 02:12:22 pm »

While it might be tempting to blame some current social malaise for this sort of nonsense it's a fact that it has been going on for decades. I've often wondered about the mentality of folk who smash bus shelters and telephone boxes; who spray obscene and brainless graffiti onto new paintwork or who deliberately set fire to buildings, cars and grassland. I can only conclude that they get some sort of perverse kick out of seeing the results of their handiwork and thinking "I did that!".

Perhaps we should set up the old-fashioned village stocks at the sites of their stupidities; lock the miscreants into them for a few days and hang signs around their necks which say "I did this". I believe that a public shaming would be much worse for the egos of these pathetic morons than a private punishment, especially if pictures of their ritual humiliation were circulated on Farcebook etc.  Perhaps we could pay to throw rotten veg at them, with the proceeds going towards repairing the damage?

Jean-Paul Sartre said "Hell is other people". He wasn't wrong - in this case at least.

Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 02:43:15 pm »

There has always been a group of people who either can't or won't see the difference between right and wrong.  Usually, if they suffer a bit of wrong to themselves, they find the ability to tell you what the difference is very eloquently.
A bit of judicial wrong, and the certainty of being caught and suffering it, is probably the cure.  I am quite sure that if the do-gooders who object to that kind of thing, as personal individuals, had their nice new cars keyed a time or two, they would reconsider their thinking.  For years past, those who make the rules have been largely safely insulated from the consequenses of those rules, and any feedback they get will have been laundered, manipulated and spun to make any disaster look like an achievement.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 03:48:57 pm »

The train hobbyists must be devastated - its akin to an attack on ones person . They must be totally overwhelmed - one can imagine if it were your models the feelings it would cause.

One of those who must share a lot of the blame was the so called child care "Guru" Dr Spock (no not Star Trek ). He admitted on his deathbed that he had been wrong in his advice on handling children and now believed in the adage "spare the rod and spoil the child". The loonies choose to ignore that and generally try to deny he recanted his original beliefs.

I for one as a colonial was totally taken aback at children's attitudes when living in the UK  - even my then wife was shocked and she had grown up in England. On the other hand we found children , even of the so called "difficult teenage years" in France to be generally well behaved and respectful of their elders. A French friend said to me that they did not believe in sparing the rod, which I totally agree with. I only punished my own children twice, and even heading to middle age they remember it well.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 04:49:06 pm »

I've often wondered about the mentality of folk who smash bus shelters and telephone boxes; who spray obscene and brainless graffiti onto new paintwork or who deliberately set fire to buildings, cars and grassland.

How about those that attack paramedics and fire crews etc dealing with an emergency?

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 07:40:51 pm »

Words fail me they are just  B******S
Dave  <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*<
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.