Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Model show trashed by moronic idiots  (Read 17971 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model show trashed by moronic idiots
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:25 am »

The Market Deeping Model Railway Club, who organised this show, set up a Just Giving page to raise £500 in order to fund the repair or replacement of the layouts and property destroyed.  I made a small contribution and, this morning, the funds raised stood at £40,510.  The donations seemingly came from all across the world with strong messages of sympathy mostly from model makers but also from those whose families enjoyed visiting such shows or who had enjoyed the model railways created by fathers and grandfathers.  It restores faith in humanity.

Mick

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:49 pm »

I notice that the target has now gone up to £75000 but there is no detail about what the money is being raised to pay for.

Is it the club (& if so to pay for what exactly) , or some sort of financial compensation for those who lost models or?????????????

Before anyone comes back let me just say that I am appalled by what has happened and that £75000 is a lot of money. I would just like to know where my donation is going. I trust that it will be spent wisely but on what exactly.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »

I notice that the target has now gone up to £75000 but there is no detail about what the money is being raised to pay for.

Is it the club (& if so to pay for what exactly) , or some sort of financial compensation for those who lost models or?????????????

Before anyone comes back let me just say that I am appalled by what has happened and that £75000 is a lot of money. I would just like to know where my donation is going. I trust that it will be spent wisely but on what exactly.
A burglar alarm?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 02:47:49 pm »

They had a burglar alarm.... and the the Police actually responded!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 02:48:32 pm »

BBC:  Money floods in for Market Deeping Model Railway Club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 04:05:48 pm »

Apparently Rod Stewart, a noted railway modeller himself, donated £10k.Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 04:31:20 pm »

I wonder if he knows where the money is going - or just as importantly where it isn't.
I think of some of the clubs around here (& their committees) & I find it difficult to imagine they would cope with all this. Once a lot of money is involved the climate changes very quickly.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:37 pm »

He has "pledged" 10,000 and he's trying to get Jools Holland and Roger Daltrey to do the same.  They are also keen train modellers.  Jools Hollands layout was featured in Railway Modeller and Continental Modeller a couple of months back.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:29 pm »

It's a sign of the times that the default position is too assume the worst.  It's a lot of money for a small club to suddenly receive One can only hope that they keep their heads.  I would hope that they will donate a fair amount to the charities that the Club normally supports and just retain what they need.  The original amount was 500 which was about what they had expected to raise from the show.  Some payments to members and guests who lost expensive items, perhaps. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 06:09:00 pm »

Isn't Pete Waterman a big model railway fan?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 06:18:29 pm »

Yep. Just been looking that up Martin - seems he auctioned his layout off a while back. He champions other causes now, including railway apprenticeships.
Plenty info about that and other projects via Google  :-))
Regards
Ray.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 07:10:23 pm »

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 08:07:08 pm »

Isn't Pete Waterman a big model railway fan?

Pete Waterman "upscaled"! He bought a locomotive workshop at Crewe to renovate full sized mainline steam locos.  He sold that business to Arriva and after several more incarnations now owns the Railway Exchange Training Academy jointly with OSL. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 08:14:46 pm »

I think Tug Fanatic is right. That amount of money could turn out to be more of a curse than a blessing.

You can't really compensate the work somebody has put in over many years in purely financial terms. It's not as if you can simply go out and buy replacements.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 12:07:32 am »

I see the fund is now past £79K.  I have been thinking this has become a liability and will bring unwanted problems.  It is time to take what they need and pledge the rest to some worthy cause.   I understand that they were just hoping to raise £500.

I had a nice reply to my email from their chairman, I do not envy him one bit with the decision that needs to be taken though. What ever it is it will upset someone.  I would not be surprised if we suddenly hear about lawyers being involved.

regards Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 07:46:47 am »

I see the fund is now past £79K.  I have been thinking this has become a liability and will bring unwanted problems.  It is time to take what they need and pledge the rest to some worthy cause.   I understand that they were just hoping to raise £500.

I had a nice reply to my email from their chairman, I do not envy him one bit with the decision that needs to be taken though. What ever it is it will upset someone.  I would not be surprised if we suddenly hear about lawyers being involved.

regards Roy
Roy please don't think that I am getting at you but this illustrates the problem well. "It is time to take what they need". There are so may unsaid thoughts in that simple sentence.

Who are "they" in this context? The club, the traders, the model builders, the ????
"need". I am afraid that I don't even understand this. How do you define need in this context? I am guessing that the hall was covered by insurance as I hope were the traders. Money will not repair the work that goes into building a model railway although it might help encourage some very upset modellers to build something new & hopefully better. I can see lots of room for debate. What duty of care did the organizers owe the participants & did they fulfill it?

"pledge the rest to some worthy cause". I am afraid that I don't agree with this at all. Your worthy cause is my waste of money & probably vice versa. I gave money specifically to try & repair, or at least try & help control the damage that these 4 idiots caused. I did not give money for a "worthy cause". If they don't have a use for the money directly related to the tragedy they should stop collecting it and probably should have stopped some time ago. At the moment it seems to be the ambition to collect as much as possible but I am still asking for what purpose.

Please don't read into the above that I am not desperately sorry for the cub, the modellers, the traders & anyone else that was damaged by this.

RST

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 08:06:39 am »

Afraid I'm with Roy. Divvying up that amount needs very careful (and legal) thought. Fantastic total that it is though. I'd agree though, it absolutely needs to stay true for the original purpose. Perhaps a summation of the original insured values per person needs considering, with some sort of proportional pay-out. Don't envy them working that one out. There can be lots of arguments in railway circles, don't really see so much with  marine modellers.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:07 am »

The modellers are the only people to suffer a loss.

I would think the best way is to get a few guys together who know about the models and calculate build times and true costs of each model - add it all up and divide the money out on that basis.

It's unlikely that the money will fully cover that actual cost in hours and materials of all of the models. 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 08:45:59 am »

Hi all, I expect there was a cost of hiring the hall and advertising probably most of £1K. to put on the exhibition.

I see there is a £75K target, which should stop any more contributions.  Rod Stewart contributed £10K so he may get to be an Honorary member!
I sincerely hope it ends well.
regards Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:30 am »

..................I see there is a £75K target, which should stop any more contributions...................

They have reached £81708 of their £75000 target. Last time this happened they just upped their target.
I also hope that it ends well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 09:02:07 am »

Goodness...wildly overstated comments {-)  please read ........the original target was ...so easy....just read %)

"We originally hoped for £500 to fund some of our rebuilding costs. The response has been out of this world and overwhelming. We are truly grateful for everything that has been donated both money and gifts"
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 09:16:02 am »

Hi Tug, no offence taken we all have our opinions. That is what makes life interesting.  The 'they' I was thinking of was the club committee.

I did mention in thread No. 40 that their aspirations were for £500. A modest amount in wordly terms but high as far as a model club is concerned.  Although that money would only buy 4 off 'OO' gauge locos these days.
We have a committee meeting in a few days I will raise it as a hypothetical problem during tea and biccies.
regards Roy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:27 am »

I think the 500 target was to make back the money they had expected to make from the show after expenses.  I just hope that wise heads prevail as regards disposal of the donated cash.

robbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Time flies like an arrow;fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 10:23:39 pm »

Meanwhile I wonder what the club's insurers are making of this, It's possible that their loss adjusters will use the generosity of the public donations to reduce their payout on the basis that the clubs hardship has been reduced, asuming that they are entertaining the claim anyway.
And they'l probably increase the club's premium when it's up for renewal because they made a claim too.
More to discuss during the tea & biccies.
Rob.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.