Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Model show trashed by moronic idiots  (Read 17972 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Model show trashed by moronic idiots
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 05:57:43 am »

Meanwhile I wonder what the club's insurers are making of this, It's possible that their loss adjusters will use the generosity of the public donations to reduce their payout on the basis that the clubs hardship has been reduced, asuming that they are entertaining the claim anyway.
And they'l probably increase the club's premium when it's up for renewal because they made a claim too.
More to discuss during the tea & biccies.
Rob.
That's what I was thinking - they win twice - not having to pay out and cranking up the policy in the future.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 12:39:37 pm »

That's what I was thinking - they win twice - not having to pay out and cranking up the policy in the future.

Their profit margins are sacrosanct of course, we're just here to pay their share holder's dividends.......... NOT!
Regards
Kit

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 12:49:08 pm »

Today they found satisfaction in destroying someone's train sets. Tomorrow they will need to destroy a person to get their jollies. There must still be some vacant islands , accessibly only by ship or air, that these two could be sent to when caught. Sort of a "survival" sentence..... give them time to consider their paths in life.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »

Hi all, I expect there was a cost of hiring the hall and advertising probably most of £1K. to put on the exhibition.
For a model railway exhibition of any size, £1k isn't enough to open the doors. Aside from the venue costs, which for a 2 day show this big will be more than that on their own, you also have to pay expenses to all the exhibitors, advertising, insurance etc.
All of this is hopefully offset and more by fees from trade stands and ticket sales - but obviously not in this case.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 01:24:31 pm »

I see the fund is now past £79K.  I have been thinking this has become a liability and will bring unwanted problems.  It is time to take what they need and pledge the rest to some worthy cause.   
Since the volunteers running the club are still dealing with the aftermath - insurance claims and media inquiries - it's bit early to suggest that should already have a costed shopping list.
Behind the scenes they are working on it, but the size and generosity of the response has been a surprise, albeit a nice one!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 03:38:28 pm »

They have now reached £106070 of their £75000 target which was increased from the original £500 target.

I really do wonder where they are going with all this.

As I said before I hope that it ends well.

RST

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2019, 04:26:33 pm »

I don't know a  serious railway modeller yet who doesn't have a line by line catalogue of stock with photographs, specifications, DCC Cv values, purchase price and insurance value. It's almost a sideline of the hobby. They even make up or buy software specifically for it. A lot of guys have it for their house insurance anyway.  Maybe not everyone, but a lot of guys do. Question is always that some consider their time invested, some folk like me consider that not applicable to a hobby.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:14 pm »

I made a donation to the MDMRC and have been following the story since.  The Club certainly intends to donate some of the money raised to local good causes.  They are also talking about a initiative to help encourage youngsters into the hobby possibly through local schools.  Some good ideas there.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »

Good ideas possibly but this sounds like way beyond the objectives that their crowd funding page states that they are raising funds for & which donations have been made to support.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 01:49:52 pm »

Good ideas possibly but this sounds like way beyond the objectives that their crowd funding page states that they are raising funds for & which donations have been made to support.
I dont get this line of thinking. People dont have to crowd fund, it is purely voluntary. People can see the sum raised before they contribute. Maybe they decided they could buy some building outright for future shows or, take on a long term lease with the money?

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 10:03:17 pm »

I dont get this line of thinking. People dont have to crowd fund, it is purely voluntary. People can see the sum raised before they contribute. Maybe they decided they could buy some building outright for future shows or, take on a long term lease with the money?
I agree, to me it would seem an excellent opportunity to be able to get some positive PR for those involved in the hobby and use some of the momentum behind the public spirit to make it a win for railway modelling and give some satisfaction to those who built those layouts that were destroyed that it wasn't all in vain after all.

It's a huge amount of money but if used cleverly it could very well it could have a bit of light at the end of the murky tunnel (and as it's railway modelling there would no doubt be some ready to point out the type of tunnel used was incorrect for the depicted era and the types of flower seen on the side were the wrong shade of lavender etc etc ;) )

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2019, 10:26:27 pm »

No cash compensation will really cover for the loss entailed in modelmaking effort that was destroyed. You simply cannot put a price on that. For example if somebody smashed one of our lovingly constructed scratchbuilt boats they would be literally irreplaceable and no amount of money would bring it back. You cannot buy a replacement.

Obviously the club can use some of the money to rebuild the destroyed layouts and replace some commercial items and that's fine but what then do you do with the rest of the money? As said above, that could be a real problem. Clubs are not really equipped to deal with that sort of issue and I wish them the best of luck in resolving it,.

Colin

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 02:15:31 am »

personally as long as any excess money is used to promote model railroading in some way I wouldn't be worried what they spend it on. it was donated to the club so I wouldn't be happy with it being dished out to any other organisation that is not model railway related. call me selfish but its just my opinion. does anyone know if there is a final total yet or is the crowd funding still open.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2019, 08:52:22 am »

I can't see any difficulty with using some of this donated cash to support local good causes.  Most model shows are used for that purpose anyway.  To buy or build a permanent club building would also, for me, be a suitable use of the donations.  Whatever they do with it,  these are model makers  not politicians, so they're not going to blow it all on a champagne lifestyle.  At worst they'll buy a lot of miniature trees and teeny tiny people.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:41 am »

Hi all I had a very sensible down to earth response from their Chairman who is experienced in dealing with people and no doubt problems.

I think there will be a good and well thought through outcome to this unexpected situation.  I do not think teeny trees will have much to do with it!

I wish him all the best.
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:19 pm »

Sentencing has now been carried out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-49397838

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:42 pm »

Thanks for the heads up Colin.
Apart from that, words fail me - too flippin' soft.

Regards,
Ray.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2019, 05:05:22 pm »

I understand that the club are investing a significant part of the money in efforts to bring new people, especially youngsters, in to the hobby.

There will be a major display from them at the National Festival of Railway Modelling.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2019, 06:04:38 pm »

BBC: Boys sentenced for trashing Stamford model railway show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-49397838
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »

and they wonder why crime is on the rise . Sorry typical libral judge ,Poor boys bla bla . Sorry parents must cover the full cost of any damage and police time. Cant pay take there house. Kids 6 months young offinders no parole.

John

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:43 pm »

"Flogging in public's too good for these scum!! Bring back the village stocks! Hang the man who sold them the vodka and sterilize their parents so that they can't infect society with any more of their foul seed! Where did good old English values go?"   >>:-(
Get a grip, for goodness sake...
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2019, 06:42:58 pm »

You are a bit behind the curve Martin.  ;)

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2019, 06:55:26 pm »

What, no charges with regard to the actual break in?

C.P.S.? Far too lenient!

Regards,
Ray.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2019, 07:18:07 pm »

Hi all, I think that the boys should have a chance of seeing the error of their ways and hopefully being ashamed of what they did.  Better that way than label them and produce 4 more criminals.
Can't condone what they did but alcohol and young lads do not well go together.
They were about to do their exams so perhaps not amongst the not so brights.
regards.
Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2019, 09:49:54 pm »

Hi all, I think that the boys should have a chance of seeing the error of their ways and hopefully being ashamed of what they did.  Better that way than label them and produce 4 more criminals.
Can't condone what they did but alcohol and young lads do not well go together.
They were about to do their exams so perhaps not amongst the not so brights.
regards.
Roy

Will all probably all be future leaders of the country.. 8) 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.