Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Navy Type 42 Boot topping 1/72 scale  (Read 2331 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Royal Navy Type 42 Boot topping 1/72 scale
« on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:26 pm »

Hello, anyone able to answer this query? Im finishing off a build of HMS Newcastle, T42 B1 circa 2002 in 1/72 scale. Does anyone know how the height of the boot topping in 1/72 scale would equate to?
I dont have a plan so cannot lift it from that. Would it be 1" \ 25mm, more? TIA.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Royal Navy Type 42 Boot topping 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:22:01 pm »

Hello, anyone able to answer this query? Im finishing off a build of HMS Newcastle, T42 B1 circa 2002 in 1/72 scale. Does anyone know how the height of the boot topping in 1/72 scale would equate to?
I dont have a plan so cannot lift it from that. Would it be 1" \ 25mm, more? TIA.
While Im thinking about it as well(!), at midships and in 1/72 scale, how much freeboard (if that's the right term) should there be from the top of the boot topping to deck level (gunwalls)?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 08:41:26 pm »

Just had a look at a photo of type 42 in procedure Alpha (men lining the rails). Freeboard approx 2 1/3 matelos, average height 5’ 9”. Boot topping about a foot. Can’t remember how much fuel we carried but what with food, stores, victuals, ammo and fuel and water depletion suspect it would rise about 8” from start of exercises to endex. This is all very approximate and a little tongue in cheek you understand but heyho what can you do.
Jerry.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:17:43 pm »

Just had a look at a photo of type 42 in procedure Alpha (men lining the rails). Freeboard approx 2 1/3 matelos, average height 5’ 9”. Boot topping about a foot. Can’t remember how much fuel we carried but what with food, stores, victuals, ammo and fuel and water depletion suspect it would rise about 8” from start of exercises to endex. This is all very approximate and a little tongue in cheek you understand but heyho what can you do.
Jerry.
LOL, I'll have to eyeball it, I guess!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:40 pm »

Well it’s a start matey. Rivet counters don’t do boot topping. If it looks right it probably is.
Jerry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:40:40 pm »

hi there,
I don't think the Royal Navy have a size for the boot topping - as - whilst working in Rosyth Naval Yard, on a very bleak and cold/freezing November day, sleet was going horizontal across the dockyard - low and behold Navy divers were in the water. There were pots of paint slung over the side and they were painting black over the rust around the water line of the boot topping.

The other thing I recall on that particular day (apart from the cold) was a German Navy vessel and half the crew were stood on the deck in white short sleeved shirts, saluting as they came in - poor blighters.   

I hope you are going to put the Newcastle Brown Ale flag on HMS Newcastle - she was the only ship in the Royal Navy allowed to fly it and also a Lynx helicopter was signed by Kevin Keegan - so try and get him to sign your Lynx helicopter.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:32:21 pm »

might help
Regards,

Rich

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:28 am »

bottom picture

That's a bit extreme to paint the boot topping isn't it
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:01 am »

This is taken from Atlantic models kit instruction for their 1/350th HMS Newcastle.  You could perhaps compare the width with some other part of the model  to get an idea of the size as I don't know what scale this is.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 03:32:08 pm »

Hi all. Didnt know about Newcie Brown flag!
Couple of pics, first is what I ended up with.

I think it looks ok but this one of Newcastle Im modelling circa 2002 clearly shows the boot topping isnt the same 'thickness' from stem to stern. It clearly follows the deck level so at midships, is at its lowest and rises toward the bow and to a lesser degree at the stern.

So, I think think it needs a bit more depth towards the bow and a little more at the stern. There again, I might leave it because masking the hull was a real PITA!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:51:01 pm »

Don't change it, the photo of the real ship is an optical illusion, caused by camera angle and water movement.
As far as I'm aware, the boot topping always follows the waterline, which is always straight.

I stand to be corrected  :-)

Regards
Ray.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »

hi there

I have just checked on the type 42 which is at 1:96 scale - and - the boot topping width is approximately 18 mm and this comes from the Jacobin plans so you will be able to scale it up :-)

Capt Podge is right about an optical illusion as what you need to take into account is the flare of the bow and the radius of the stern.

If you levelled off the hull correctly and use a marker gauge to draw two parallel lines along the length of the hull, you will see the band width will increase in width at the bow and at the stern and you will find that the inner part of the boot will radius right in towards the keel which will give you the illusion of the thicker boot topping.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 10:53:09 pm »

hi there

I have just checked on the type 42 which is at 1:96 scale - and - the boot topping width is approximately 18 mm and this comes from the Jacobin plans so you will be able to scale it up :-)

Capt Podge is right about an optical illusion as what you need to take into account is the flare of the bow and the radius of the stern.

If you levelled off the hull correctly and use a marker gauge to draw two parallel lines along the length of the hull, you will see the band width will increase in width at the bow and at the stern and you will find that the inner part of the boot will radius right in towards the keel which will give you the illusion of the thicker boot topping.

John
Thank you. I think Im going to leave as is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.