Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: soldering iron help  (Read 1174 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
soldering iron help
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:51:37 pm »

Ive been given the soldering iron thats in the pic, it seems to have the heating element running through the inside which can be removed, theres no wire attached but has three stand up posts to connect some wire, can any one shed a little light on the tool for me, such as what wire to buy to connect and which posts to wire up. also would the iron be suitable to assist in the lighting of model boats..

Trucker

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: soldering iron help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38:03 pm »

The three posts are to allow for the connection of a standard mains cable. One of them will be the earth and this is probably connected to the outside of the heater. You can check this with a multimeter. The other two are for the live and neutral wires and will be connected through the heating coil, again a multi meter will confirm this. Check these are not shorting to to the outside as this will mean that the heater is useless.You will also need the bit which slides over the end of the element. The iron looks like it is made by Antec so bits made for them should fit. You might find the name and wattage moulded onto the handle.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:39:14 pm »

It looks like an old Antex iron.  You can get new tips for it on E-bay quite cheaply.  The tips slide on over the element attached to the handle.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:46:33 pm »

just used mine 5 mins ago a cracking soldering iron

Dave

RST

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:12:26 pm »

One tip if you can: allot of us prefer silicon mains cable on irons rather than PVC insulation. Silicon is allot more flexible, and heat resistant.  Also, for cable no soldering iron I've ever seen comes with enough cable to the plug.  Something like 1-1.5m is normal. I'd buy 3m of cable -saves on using an extension lead with the connecting plug/socket dangling in mid air!  Depends where your sockets are of course!

When buying tips / bits: sticks in mind antex have 2 different diameters. Check diameter of your rod first.  Buy something like a 2 or 3mm flat chisel bit for normal work. I'd suggest you make or buy a stand and consider a sponge and bit cleaner / tinning pot also.

Rich

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 03:40:15 am »

thanks for the help , there are a few tips with this all be it they are in need a some cleaning, on one of the existing elements there are the remains of previous cable and it doesnt look like the standard cable , its much thinner , trip to the local electric shop i think.;; but to be fare they arent expensive to buy new any way..

Trucker

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:04:27 am »

I agree entirely with RST, they do get hot and as he has pointed out and have rather short cables, many a time I have held the hot part with my foot on the cable!.

The sponge and water is very useful and the cheap holder has a place for the sponge to sit.  Only problem is the holder can over balance sometimes.  Otherwise a weighted large jam jar is useful to hang the iron from.
I carry several bits as spares it is a small point but when cool make sure the bit has not bonded with the iron a small twist is a quick check.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:19 am »

What the others have said, just to add -
NEVER use anything abrasve to clean the tip.  They are usually plated, the plating protects the copper inside the tip from very rapid corrosion.  damp sponge to wipe the hot tip.
If you have any, a smear of heat sink compound (sometimes known as heat transfer paste) is good for speeding up heating, helping keep the bit attached and making it easier to remove when needed.
Repeating - have a stand.  A light iron with a cable will try to go walkabout, you don't want the hot end to seek out anything that melts or singes, you really don't want to find the hot end unintentionally.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:43:16 am »

What Malcolm said.  It's a law of the Universe that if you catch the cable the hot end of the iron will end up in your lap, every time!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 10:46:55 am »

I found this while wandering through the CPC catalogue https://cpc.farnell.com/antex/w021600/1-5m-silicone-lead-w021600/dp/AN00041Do be warned, however, that one purchase on-line from CPC will condemn you to an eternity of mail-shots!
DaveM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.