Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine model filler?  (Read 3254 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Fine model filler?
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:15:12 pm »

I need to get some 'fine' filler for some small gaps in plasticard.

I dont want to use two part putty such as milliput and I want to avoid any cellulose filler such as Humbrol as I find this goes off too quickly to be worked (maybe Im just too slow!?). Neither do I want to mix my own as that is too messy, I just want something out of a tube suitable for plasticard.
So, any recommendations? TIA

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Fine model filler?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:51 pm »

RST

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:00:54 pm »

I've tried quite a few over the years, often from necessity because that what the local shop had.  I haven’t had quite the same experience with drying times as you -but it’s subjective:

• Humbrol -awful, thin as water or a hard paste.  Takes an age to dry, really poor consistency.  Just awful stuff!
  • Revell -skins too quick which slows down curing then stays a soft blob for days no matter how thick.  Eventually dries very, very hard which makes sanding difficult, and it's subject to cracking.  Terrible stuff but not quite as bad as Humbrol!
  • Deluxe solvent free "perfect plastic putty" -recommended to me by local shop out here in Paris.  OK suppose: dries quick, no smell, water clean-up if that's important, doesn’t stick too well to polystyrene unless you're filling a crack or crevice (no surprise).  It’s “meh” but useable but I don’t recommend it for polystyrene unless it’s a delicate airfix type kit, plastic needs scoring or hard sanding for it to stick unlike solvent types which need less prep.  I suspect it’s just DIY white “decorators caulk” re-tubed and at a massively inflated price (smells, feels, looks and sands the same).  7/10 I’m always left a bit wanting with Deluxe products, this is no different -like Apple: clever marketing for "so-so" performance
  • Testors putty -recommended to me out here in Paris, never tried it until February.  Solvent based -nice to apply, easy to work with, dries quick, sands easy.  Not bad at all, really quite good
  • Squadron putty (red) - solvent based, sticks excellent, dries quick, easy to work with, very easy to sand.  Consistently the best of anything I’ve had.  My No 1 choice for wood or plastic, period.  I buy 2 tubes each time.  If shops don’t have any I resort to E-Bay -it’s worth the rip-off courier shipping costs because of the solvent, RM won't deliver it
...Could of course try making your own with those last few dregs of MEK or a squidge of Contacta professional liquid poly when the tube blocks.  Done it a few times.  Don't use polystyrene dust from sanding -it always seems to have bits of abrasive in it, just plop some small offcuts in the liquid and seal it up intil it turns to goo.  Mixed results for me really.  The solvent can stay active for absolutely ages and sometimes distorts the joint long afterwards.

Depending how big the job, 2K Isopon plastic car bumper repair putty from motor factors or Halfords is great and works well with polystyrene and sands very nicely (wet).  Dries a bit flexible also.  Great on Polystyrene and GRP.  Stinks though because it's polyester based (or uses the same red hardener anyway).  Really like it, much prefer it to Milliput or epoxy putty, and you can start sanding back super quick.

...Sorry for the brain dump -might give some ideas.

Rich

RST

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:01:38 pm »

swear to god I hit modify rather than quote -sorry (no delete post button here!!!!).

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:37:07 pm »

Ronseal wood filler works pretty well, you can mix it in small quantities, it sets quickly and sands well. Adhesion to styrene is OK ish, fine for gaps. Comes in three colours including white.

https://www.ronseal.com/for-home/wood-wall-fillers/wood-filler/high-performance-wood-filler/

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »

Rich! I use white and green squadron, is there any difference other than colour? I just thought it was to be sympathetic to primer colour
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

RST

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:20:15 pm »

Rich! I use white and green squadron, is there any difference other than colour? I just thought it was to be sympathetic to primer colour

...not sure to be honest though I think I had green once years ago and didn't rate it.  I always find "red" tubes for sale (actually it's "white" but all written in red on the tube), but when I see folk posting pics using the "green" version it always seems to look a bit coarser so I've always just stuck with the white stuff.  Do you not find that?  Just checked 'tinternet to compare and found a youtube vid with the guy saying he finds white is finer and easier to use than green.  Welsh chap on youtube: short vid, reminded me of "Twin Town" ..."stay off yer fathers glew!" LoL.  He's mentioning Vallejo also, but dries not as hard.

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 10:43:40 pm »

My tubes are identical except one says green and other says white
Green has a black cap and white a white cap
So are you saying red is not the colour of the filler you are referring to ?
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:30:16 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to try the Vallejo filler mainly because Id tried the others (humbrol & revell). Got some on order via fleabay and should be here soonish.
I havent got masses to fill, just some small joins. I always find the larger humbrol type tubes go off between my longish builds! Thanks again.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:12 pm »

Over here auto body repair shops some times use a "spot putty" Available in three "colors" which reflexes the activation time, it is designed for very small gap/ding filling. Lacquer based, it can be thinned and brushed on, or used straight, wiped on similar to regular body filler. It works nicely, but being lacquer based requires caution when used on plastic stock because it can soften it if applied too heavily.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 12:43:23 pm »

Auto repair spot putty works well. Lacquer based, it can be thinned an brushed on if need be. Available in 3 colors which refer to it's activation time, none of which are long. Sands very easily.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 05:29:04 pm »

Hi rich,
  just a heads up if your tube blocks on your Revell contacta poly pull the tube out gently with your modelling pliers and hold it over a small gas ring or ciggy lighter  not pointing at you as a flame will shoot out both ends let it cool and slowly push it back into the contracta pot again  job done. As for filler I like squadron and when happy with if I always brush I coat of liquid poly over the repair/filled job and let it go hard.
          Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »

Howard, actually normally I just turn the tube round every now and again. Keeps it working fine.

BTW the squadron stuff I was trying to say is white but it's red coloured text on the tube!  Why would you brush liquid poly over it though? That doesn't make much sense to me?

Rich

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:02:34 pm »

Rich seals and makes it hard  ready for painting always did when making plastic models just my thing.
           Regards Howard

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 02:29:40 pm »

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:19 pm »

Baking soda and super glue might be suitable  plenty of Vids on utube
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.