Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Ship!  (Read 3773 times)

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
Free Ship!
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:57 am »

Weathered in in Oregon this January I took to the highway and, cresting a rise, beheld this vision near Smith River, Oregon.

Once a visitor attraction and museum, this little ship has been neglected for some time and, according to local sources, has been offered free to anyone who can take her away! (You'd need more than an Ifor Williams trailer for that).

Google reveals she's the one-time SS Caritas, a yacht built in Germany (Blohm & Voss in some sources) in 1925 for an American customer. More recently, she's been known as SS Castle Rock.

Superficially, she looks to be in reasonable condition. I couldn't get on board, so I have no idea what the interior is like, but the engines were removed long ago.

Anyone interested should travel to Northern California, get on the Pacific Coast Highway, and drive North into Oregon. You'll find her!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Free Ship!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 09:46:37 am »

Also known as PYc.15 and renamed Garnet while used as patrol yacht in WW2.490 tons, 147ftpp, 12knots and initially one then a second 3" HA gun http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/1415.htm

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:11:03 pm »

Hopefully it won't be so wet when I make my planned visit later this year.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:43:43 pm »

In that case, you may also have more luck with the motel / holiday camp which was locked up when I was there. Access to the ship would be difficult because there's no steps or ladder. I've no idea if you can arrange that in advance but it might be worth calling ahead.

BTW, the little port of Crescent City just to the South is interesting as a place that was hit by the Japanese Tsunami, astonishing considering it's on the opposite side of the Pacific!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:11:19 pm »

Hopefully it won't be so wet when I make my planned visit later this year.  :-))

Not sure you will get that back in checked luggage on the return.. %% %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.