Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting order and compatibility  (Read 1384 times)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Painting order and compatibility
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:09 pm »

Nearing the finish line with my first build - an Aeronaut Ramborator springer tug.

I've assembled the hull, deck and bulwarks, epoxied the hull, sanding sealer on the deck and bulwarks, and primed the whole thing with Halfords grey car primer.
I plan to paint the hull with red primer below the waterline, black above, and the deck green. Not sure yet whether to do the bulwarks black or green. The superstructure will be white, with a green roof.

If I do the bulwarks black to match the upper hull, it will probably be easier to paint the deck green first, then mask it before spraying lower hull red, then masking that and spraying the bulwarks and upper hull, before giving the whole lot a coat of Halfords satin lacquer.
Sound like a good way to proceed?
All Halfords paint, so no problems.

I might find it easier to paint the inside of the bulwarks by hand. If I do this this, I guess i have the choice of Humbrol enamel (which I already have), or some form of acrylic (maybe Tamiya?) which I don't have.  Would either or both of these paints be OK over Halfords primer, and under Halfords lacquer? Or should I just paint the inside of the bulwarks the same colour as the deck?
It's not exactly a scale model, so I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I chose this kit as my first build to practice my techniques on before building something more complex.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Painting order and compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:22:46 pm »

Hi

I know that some one who can give you better advice that me will be along soon, I can only say that I always do the lighter colour first then the darker colour, and I only use auto paint on my boats.

sorry that I can not be of any more help
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:37 pm »

I would never use a mix of acrylic and enamel as they react quite badly with each other ( paint gets rough and bubbles , looks like orange skin and is a pain in the rear to get removed )

Car spray cans are all acrylic and you can use car lacquer spray to seal it ( basically its a spray on varnish )

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »

That's what was worrying me. I couldn't remember what reacted with what. I'll stick with Tamiya paints if I need to do any brushing before the Halfords lacquer goes on.

I believe that Humbrol enamels will be OK though if applied last, over the lacquer?  I find Humbrol paints much easier to use for small highlights.

I really need to get a small spraybooth sorted so that I can use my airbrushes again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.