Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting stanchions and rail dilemma  (Read 1784 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Painting stanchions and rail dilemma
« on: May 27, 2019, 02:47:36 pm »

I need to complete some 1\72 scale RN 3 ball stanchions and rail on my HMS Newcastle build. These pics show the parts of the ship that need the stanchions and rails. They are mainly upper superstructure parts.
As seen in the pictures, these areas have already been painted by the original builder.

So essentially, all the deck edges and on top of the original Type 42 air intakes need railings added. Due to some of the railing runs not being straight, Im unsure whether I should build the relevant railing runs on the ship and paint them in situ, build and paint them complete off the ship or, individually paint the stanchions and rails then assemble on the ship and touch up as required.
How would most people approach this seeing as the decks and superstructure are already painted? TIA.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Painting stanchions and rail dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 04:58:33 pm »

If this was me I would make a template of the deck and transfer it to a piece of board.  Then make the stantions off of the boat and then install the finished and painted railings.  This would prevent any damage to what has already been built.  Having said that I have seen some very talented builders on this forum who can make them in situ - I personally cannot do that very well so its also down to the builders abilities

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 05:06:10 pm »

One possibility would be to dry build the rails in situ, remove and paint them and then refit them. This was the method I used on my fishery cruiser. Holes were drilled for the stanchion bases and the stanchions plugged in to them. The rails were then run through the stanchion holes in sections and everything lined up. Next step was to apply Carrs 188 solder paint to each joint and lightly touch with a soldering iron (it doesn't 'blob'.) The soldered sections can then be unplugged, cleaned up and painted off the model and subsequently glued back on. It worked for me and gave a neat result.

I did find it best not to attempt more than one angle in each section and where necessary made rail connections between stanchions using very thin metal sleeves which you can get from jewellery suppliers or Hobbycraft. You can see the links just above the bollards on the second image.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 05:53:21 pm »

Hi ya there

the method I am using now, after many trials and errors :-) is - for complicated shapes of railings - draw them out to size (plan view - looking down on the rails) on a piece of paper first.  Don't try and do a full rail run in one go - if it has several (shall we say) kinks in the rail shape - say over 6 inches long - do it in 2 sections - it makes life a lot easier.  Bend your rail wires to your plan, making sure they all match, then feed the stanchions onto the rails.  Then, feed your stanchions into pre-drilled holes at the correct spacing onto your model.  Do this carefully one at a time, but, it is one of the best ways I have found of doing it.   Make a plywood gauge up to set your heights and ensure all the stanchions are at the same height and a drop of superglue on a pin; then superglue your stanchions in place.  When you are happy with the positioning of the rails you can either solder them or superglue them.

I am trying a new method out new for painting them.   I have cut a piece of brown paper so it slips under and lies flat on the deck between the rail stanchions - so any splashing of MY PAINTING :-) which there is plenty of :-) doesn't go onto surrounding areas, e.g. the deck and spoil the affect,

just as a side note - when I last spoke with retired Mr James Lane - who used to produced stanchions - he said when he was professionally model making for the shipyards - they used to build them up on a mock up baseboard, transfer them to the actual model - I have tried this several times and I must admit it must be an art as it doesn't work for me - as I have found on many an occasion, that even though I have tried my best to copy the shape of the railings from model to the mock up board - there was always a deviation and they would never fit back onto the model.

Food for thought for you.   :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:54:36 pm »

here's a pic which I had bother posting to go with my last posting  :-))

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 06:32:48 pm »

Some very good suggestions there, thanks all. Yes, I think trying to do more than one 'turn' in a run makes life very difficult.

I think I'll probably end up using a mix of all the suggestions for different sections of railing. The more I think of it, the more I think painting has to be done off the model. I could separate more of the superstructure as it's built in modules and mask the decks etc where necessary but that will probably require a lot more time and work. Cheers again.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 06:51:55 pm »

Hi  oh happy days, hahaha I forgot about all them bendy rails on the type 42s

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.