Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheating motor/ESC  (Read 10236 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
Re: Overheating motor/ESC
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2020, 10:00:51 am »

Already on board Colin but thanks for the well intentioned thought dear Sir . :-))

I this particular Tug I have both fitted and the lights sounds are fused on the P112 which is slaved / supplemental  to the P92 to which the motors are fitted  lower in the hull adjacent to the SLA batteries in this Tug .

The P112 is a great bit of kit I think and enables you to fuse every item drawing current and if like me the "Extras" are housed in the superstructure means less cable runs and keeps it tidy added to which it has provision for power meter take off to fit current voltage  of battery and current drawn on a meter display set into the bridge of the model  ;)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2020, 07:15:36 pm »

I have just reread this thread again in case I had missed a vital point that would have answered , but not found yet .

There are obviously many experts and as many opinions on these subjects , and accordingly I have also fitted fuses between the ESC and the 545 geared motors as it seemed a logical step , and I did not have the room in the space to fit two P95.1units .

This model which as said earlier is the rescue Tug I use at the club and whilst is serves me well [ apart from the ingested debris mentioned earlier ] but according to previous opinions may not be perfect ......even though it has worked consistently well in its as built state for a few years without mishap

Motors MFA 540 2.5=1 x 2  cooled by 2 x  36mm cooling clip on fan units
ESC P94
PDP P92  +  PDP P112 x 2
SLA 12v 14 Ah            x 2
BPB P103

Bronze 52 mm 5 blade Kort props x 2
Matching. Aluminium Kort Nozzles

30/33 Bow thruster
ESC P93

Servo Morph  P96
80g metal geared servo

Sound system P110
Amp  P97

Spot lights , Nave lights , led flood lights, radar motors , fire monitors x 2 internal radar monitors and lighting .

All fitted within a modified MMM tug FG hull of Ayton Cross OAL 1035mm Beam 365mm converted to a Damon ASD 2810 1/32 superstructure
She pulls anything and often tow's a floating model recovery boom some 200m long if needed to encircle the defective vessel and bring it home safely .. :-))

So that's my set up and if I could post a photo of her that small I would but lack the ability to meet the Forums size restriction

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2020, 07:25:08 pm »

Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you checked/cleaned the prop shafts?  Pete

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2020, 07:34:19 pm »

Sure did , and whilst replacing the burnt out starboard  motor I cleaned both prop shafts and gave them both a liberal coating of White Lithium grease as I had done at the beginning of the season Pete ,  and always fit new Brass nuts and thrust washers as they are a soft metal liable to rounding off when tightened up , but rather do that than lose a bronze prop as they ain't cheap to replace in pairs  :o

I also keep a off cut  of plate glass a role the prop shafts over them to check for distortion and any wear on the bronze bushes on the shafts [ which in hind site I wish I had fitted with oilers .....but hey ho ....

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2020, 07:50:20 pm »

We mismatch props & motors because we don't know any better. It is difficult to see why there is a problem, we don't know so how do we know what doesn't work. To newcomers a 540 is a 540 a 380 is a 380, how on earth are we supposed to know the different types if they are called the same thing. If we are building scale we go for the size prop that look right on the boat, what motor to use, how do we know.

It doesn't help us a lot when so called 'advice' is really just taking the mick out of our ignorance. I asked a serious question on here earlier in the week and the only answer just mocked my prop/motor combination without giving any constructive help. Don't forget you all had to start somewhere.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:19 pm »

as ever was the case Beejay ........the price of knowledge eh ..
I got with what works for me ....but often an expensive route sadly <:(

RST

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2020, 12:12:02 am »

We mismatch props & motors because we don't know any better. It is difficult to see why there is a problem, we don't know so how do we know what doesn't work. To newcomers a 540 is a 540 a 380 is a 380, how on earth are we supposed to know the different types if they are called the same thing. If we are building scale we go for the size prop that look right on the boat, what motor to use, how do we know.

...back in the day we read books and magazines and worked out what might be similar or word elsewhere -and I still recommend any beginner do so also!  The internet is a vast resource but is also "dumbing down" intelect because never has it been so easy to look things up, but seems more difficult to encourage learning and research v.s. instant gratification.  That and very few seem to learn from experience now, making a mistake is a crucial part of learning but now we can't seem to do anything without asking first and obtaining a majority answer before we try anything at all.  Makes me wonder how we ever get a bottom wet sometimes these days.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2020, 07:53:56 am »

I certainly learn by experience, especially if has cost me money.

I think one the the problems we have, especially in the last few months, we have had to buy almost exclusively by mail order. There is little advice available along that route.

When I was first into model boats, about 40 years ago, you generally bought what you needed from your local model shop. This was usually run by a wizened old fella who knew it all and more to the point was willing to share it all. That seems to be a thing of the past unfortunately.

With the internet & 'electronic' mail order we have more choice than we've ever had, which is good, however we struggle with informed choice, which is what we really need. Even on an excellent forum such as this, advice is often contradictory and the world & his wife is quite willing to tell you that you are wrong, often sarcastically. People seem much less willing to actual share good advice based on experience.

Lest you all think that I am slagging off the model boat community, I'm not, these attitudes are rife across a whole range of hobbies. Hobbies of all stripes seem to be dominated by the "I wouldn't do it like that" brigade, while jealously guarding their hard won knowledge.
Personally I have never had that attitude, I have been a First Aid trainer most of my adult life, my remit has been to share knowledge, and that applies to my hobbies too. And in life in general too, I write pub quizzes, even that is sharing my knowledge with one & all.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2020, 02:55:17 pm »

I don't know which online shops you use, but I have to say that my, admittedly limited, experience is that if you call these people and explain what you are after they are very happy to give advice.  I have in the past had excellent advice from Cornwall Model Boats and others when I was uncertain about buying.  If folk are keen to sell to you, they will usually invest some time to talk to you and help you on your way.  And if the online vendor doesn't provide contact details, perhaps it's best to find someone who does.

Greg

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2020, 03:26:54 pm »

Well lads at the risk of having a good slapping by the mod's for being off topic , I would respond thus ..

In my post yesterday at 17.15 where I list whats in my Tug , and the foregoing comments  in this post about prop size ..motors ..esc you can clearly see that most of the "I don't recommend this that or the other " by other modellers has been broken or circumvented .

As stated ....the mix in my model works well [ unless your prop swallows debris ] and I have been using this set up without mishap

I tend to agree with Greg's comments about retailers assistance or the current lack of it nowadays......alway's assuming you can get hold of them that is  , and yes I tended to take as Gospel two retailers advice who helped me a lot but currently it seem's  to have to much to do now days whilst others seem to cope in-spit of the current situation .

The most helpful Guy I ever came across  involved in modelling has retired now and regulars will know of whom I speak .....bless him..... and substitutes are like hens teeth  sadly , but one can only live in hope that they..... in time ...recall that these people who seem to annoy them are the ones who we are trying to put money in their collective company coffers and when they climb down from their ego will see the error of their ways and expand their business

Right I will get off my hobby horse now and thank the fellow members who have taken the time and trouble to share their experience and advice with others ....all with the best intentions and good will ......I thank them ALL  :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.