Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery for "Veron" police launch  (Read 2804 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Battery for "Veron" police launch
« on: May 31, 2019, 06:19:34 pm »

I'm currently building the SLEC version of the old Veron 26" Police Launch and am using a 540 brushed motor. I'm currently trying to find a decent battery pack to power it but the normal 'buggy' style pack is a tad too long at 135mm long, as the room I have available is going to be a maximum width of 120mm.
Has anyone any idea of a suitable decent battery pack that I could use that would fit in this space, any help or advice gratefully received...  O0
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Battery for "Veron" police launch
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:39:00 pm »

Use 2 smaller packs in parallel, one on top of the other, or next to each other on their sides? I assume you are looking at LiPos...

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:10:27 pm »

Use 2 smaller packs in parallel, one on top of the other, or next to each other on their sides? I assume you are looking at LiPos...
Thanks but no, as I said I'm using a brushed motor...
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:36:28 pm »

Mike
There is nothing about a brushed motor which says you can't use LiPo batteries with it. Similarly there's no rule which says you MUST ONLY use LiPo batteries with brushless motors. All a battery pack does is supply power, and an ESC/Motor combination has no knowledge nor concern about where that comes from. As the good Malcolm Frary might say, "volts are volts".
DaveM

RST

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »

Thanks but no, as I said I'm using a brushed motor...
Nothing stopping using Li-Po with brushed motors.  Anyhow, nothing suitqble in Component Shop?    They have battery packs shorter thqn the regulqr 7.2v sticks -dilemsions qre given for everything.  I believe they can do custom packs also, but not sure as they didn't respond to enquiries about them recently.
Yo can also step-down to the "mini" 7.2v sticks.  Don't get them much bigger than 1,600mA but they are cheap and small enough to sneak inside tight spaces.

Rich

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 07:53:52 pm »

Ah, mea culpa Dave, got that wrong...  :embarrassed: ... I wanted to use standard NiMH batteries as I already have chargers for those....  Good idea Rich, I shall have a look through Component Shop to see what I can find in there .....  :-))

RST

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:10 pm »

No worries. Just looking back, sorry for my shocking typing. Combination of using an azerty keyboard during the day and auto correct o this! The smaller sticks are certainly good for hot 400 size drawing a good 5A, but maybe a tad too small for a 540 motor. The split sub-c ni-mh packs might fit in one of the off the shelf sizes?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:35:29 am »

Thanks, I had a look at Component shop and came across this configuration which just moves one of the component parts on top, for which I have the room and it reduces the length to what I need and I'm hoping that will do the job.... ... https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-2v-3700mah-sc-nimh-hump-battery-pack-suits-tamiya-frog.html ...

Presumably that should power a 540 OK...  :-)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:46:10 pm »

Yes it is a standard buggy pack reconfigured.
Only consideration 3.7 Ah might not give long run times on a 540.
Do you know the current load?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 01:19:18 pm »

Yes it is a standard buggy pack reconfigured.
Only consideration 3.7 Ah might not give long run times on a 540.
Do you know the current load?
Bob
Now you're getting all technical on me ! I do wood, electrikery I have trouble with....  :D   

The motor that I was thinking of running in the boat would be this one https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=motor%20540&PN=mtroniks_vision500%2ehtml#SID=2305  What do you think, is it looking feasible or what would you think might do the job instead ?...
All help gratefully received..

I see that they have this pack as well... https://www.componentshop.co.uk/8-4v-4600mah-sc-nimh-humpback-295.html

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 01:49:20 pm »

Mike
I wouldn't advise putting a motor like that into anything like the Veron Police Launch - it's way too fast and powerful. Rather go for the MFA 540/1, a 7.2v NiMH pack and maybe a 30mm prop (and not the X-type racing variety, either). Don't forget that the VPL was designed for small diesel motors which wouldn't do much damage to the skin on a rice-pudding. They certainly wouldn't rev at nearly 16,000 - which is what you'd get with that Vision 500 on 7.2v unloaded.
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mfa-re540_1.html#SID=2304
DaveM

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 02:20:25 pm »

Thanks for that Dave, I'm more than happy to be advised as I'm trying to modify the Police Launch to look a little more scale and using some nice timber to get the effect I want, so I want to get the motor side of things right too .. ...
 Remember however that I'm the chap that put a Graupner 600 Speed 8.4V, complete with water-cooling in a Sea Scout and produced something that potentially could have broken Bluebird's speed record if it hadn't run out of water on my club's lake before it hit top speed...    I'm trying to avoid that this time...   :embarrassed:

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 06:36:29 pm »

Hi Artist mike, for a modest plane the Veron Police launch needs about 16 20 watts which equates to 3 amps max on a 7.2 volt battery.  A speed 600 or a standard 380 not a 385, will do the trick.

As has been said use the prop to decide how much power you are going to use, start with the suggested 30mm probably nicer as a 3 blade brass prop, but you may need to go down to 25mm dia.  Too often this type of boat is over powered.  With a 3.3 Ah (3300Ah) battery you may well get 40+ minutes run time.
Another option is to reduce the battery voltage, i.e. 6 volts (5 cells) or 4.8 volts (4 cells).

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
kind regards,
 Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 08:04:56 pm »

Thanks for that advice Roy, I've started the build and I'm impressed with the quality of the SLEC version of the kit which was resurrected by The Vintage Model Boat Company. I want to tweak it a bit though and try to improve the overall look but it's certainly a very evocative boat to build for those of us of a certain age.... 

I'll let you know how it goes and maybe post a few photos as I go....

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 08:12:09 pm »

A speed 600 or a standard 380 not a 385, will do the trick.

Sorry, Roy, but no Speed 600 will offer a "modest plane" - even the relatively soft Speed 600 ECO. The model is a sedate 26" launch, not a long-distance, high-speed powerboat which Mike has said he doesn't want to reproduce after his earlier experiences. I've made one or two of those at that size and with an 8.4v Speed 600BB it is a truly terrifying thing. I have tried it and I know.

The rest of your post makes good sense, however. 

DaveM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 08:26:08 pm »

A speed 600 or a standard 380 not a 385, will do the trick.

Sorry, Roy, but no Speed 600 will offer a "modest plane" - even the relatively soft Speed 600 ECO. The model is a sedate 26" launch, not a long-distance, high-speed powerboat which Mike has said he doesn't want to reproduce after his earlier experiences. I've made one or two of those at that size and with an 8.4v Speed 600BB it is a truly terrifying thing. I have tried it and I know.

The rest of your post makes good sense, however.
DaveM
Hopeully a typo for a Speed 400.  One of those, on the voltage shown on its label, with a 2 blade 25mm prop, gave my Lotse (only a bit smaller) a quite indecent turn of speed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »

Sorry I did mean a speed 400, thanks for the correction.Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.