Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSC Opera Cruise Ship Crash  (Read 2341 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MSC Opera Cruise Ship Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:01:41 pm »

Here is another video report that is not limited as non-viewable due to a :police:  Threadblocker

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/out-of-control-cruise-ship-crashes-into-boat-wharf-at-venice/news-story/d385551e8e6f5f82b614cc89dc10afc8

Pity those folk in the lower fwd Port side buffet table of the River Crusier "River Countess"....as she was shunted <*< to Port
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 01:35:52 pm »

Perhaps NOW the Venetian authorities will act to stop these obscene leviathans from coming anywhere near the city. What on earth is wrong with anchoring them out in the lagoon and using tenders? The propwash from them must be contributing to undermining the foundations of the buildings along the main canals, which are already slowly sinking.

Meanwhile the tourists are swamping the place and the attendant prices are making it unaffordable for most of the inhabitants. When it's finally become economically and physically uninhabitable then the locusts will move on and ruin somewhere else. Sometimes I despair of my fellow creatures.

DaveM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 02:10:59 pm »

That's what happens when you fit a 320 amp forward only Chinese ESC...

Quite agree with you Dave. We have visited Venice on a smaller cruise ship in the past and you do get a great view from on deck but routeing these behemoths along the waterfront like that is really not sustainable. I gather the St Mark's Square area now has turnstiles to give access.

It's not just Venice though, these huge ships, often carrying over 4,000 passengers, can totally swamp local facilities, especially if you get three or four of them in port at once. They don't do the local economy much good either as most passengers just buy a coffee in a cafe as their food is already paid for aboard the ship.

Cruise companies don't like tender ports as it takes too long to get the pleasure seeking hordes off and back on the ship plus a lot of them are not really agile enough to cope with the process and can get hurt.

In the case of Venice, maybe they should build a separate cruise terminal somewhere out in the lagoon and use local waterbuses to transfer to the city itself. And, of course also limit the number of ships that can call simultaneously as they have done at Dubrovnik and I think Santorini.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 02:26:44 pm »

Another video here:
https://youtu.be/70_jyYpnVcs
Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 02:38:50 pm »

That's what happens when you fit a 320 amp forward only Chinese ESC...

Colin
{-)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:34:57 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48489158
Looks like they've been reading today's Mayhem!  %)
DaveM

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 06:00:28 pm »

Tugboats not doing their job?  {:-{

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iokM_o1Y6Qk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 06:41:22 pm »

One report suggests that the tug line either broke or otherwise became detached.
Some ripe language on the bridge one would imagine.

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 04:43:03 am »

One report suggests that the tug line either broke or otherwise became detached.
Some ripe language on the bridge one would imagine.

Colin

Sounds plausible.
You can see the towline on the bow in this video, but it is dropped as the ships collide.
So it could be the cruise ship had the messenger line across, and were trying to get the towline back on board when 
the ship began colliding with the smaller ship on the dock. And the stern tug couldn't slow or stop the ship on it's own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV88jy9aqgE
 {:-{

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 07:51:17 am »

Sounds plausible.
You can see the towline on the bow in this video, but it is dropped as the ships collide.
So it could be the cruise ship had the messenger line across, and were trying to get the towline back on board when 
the ship began colliding with the smaller ship on the dock. And the stern tug couldn't slow or stop the ship on it's own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV88jy9aqgE
 {:-{
Possibly or the tug was cast free when it became clear that both it & the riverboat were in danger because the tow line was getting caught up on the riverboat.
What surprises me is the speed at which MSC Opera was moving. It suggests that the problem might have been long before the video & that we have just seen the end result.

I am sure that someones career prospects have not just improved

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 08:55:27 am »

Just very thankful that nobody was seriously hurt. I'm sure that, in some way, the days of cruise ships coming directly into Venice are numbered and perhaps this will help contribute to that but if the reports of failed lines are true then this could have happened anywhere.
With all the footage available these days I'm sure the jobs of investigators are a lot easier (or harder?!) than they used to be.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 09:29:36 am »

I'm not sure what the propulsion configuration of the Opera is, can't find anything obvious online. But if she has conventional screws and rudders then a certain minimum speed is needed to maintain steering control. She is around 15 years old.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:28 am »

I'm not sure what the propulsion configuration of the Opera is, can't find anything obvious online. But if she has conventional screws and rudders then a certain minimum speed is needed to maintain steering control. She is around 15 years old.

Colin
A relatively small cruise liner with 2 Azimuth Thrusters + 2 bow thrusters and in this case 2 tugs all on an apparantly calm day. Should have been plenty of control.
The normal way for a ship like this to dock is to become stationary off the key & parallel to it & then move sideways to dock. This ship hit a berth with something already moored to it! I have no idea what happened here but too fast and wrong berth with all that control & good visibility suggests something major.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 10:27:07 am »

Perhaps another (Italian??) cruise skipper showing off to his ladyfriend?  "Look, Giulia! No hands!!"  :kiss:
DaveM

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 01:08:49 pm »

BBC online news is reporting that there was a technical problem, it said that an engine locked.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 03:52:18 pm »

They call it "touch parking"   it's normal in latin countries
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.