Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet ben Ain  (Read 2122 times)

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mountfleet ben Ain
« on: June 04, 2019, 09:37:19 pm »

I've built the 1/32 Caldercraft Puffer and would love to build the 1/32 Mountfleet Ben Ain - I like the scale.  But it's a lot of money.  Never built a Mountfleet model - advice please.

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mountfleet ben Ain
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:21:58 pm »

Hi built the original one many years ago very much enjoyed it makes a great boat..bill...

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:11 am »

Kit quality?

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:37:12 am »

Hi when I built the ben ain it was the original one by Frank Hinchliffe never built one of Adams so I cant say but he appears to get good write ups in the modelling press  Bill....

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:21 am »

I was impressed by the quality of the Caldercraft kit, hull, castings and drawings.  Just a bit unsure about whether Mountfleet is at least as good. 

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:22:04 am »

Still hoping for comments on the quality of Mountfleet kits before I rob the bank and buy Ben Ain.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 11:57:04 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:35:15 pm »

Yes - very helpful on conversion to steam but what I am really after is reassurance that when I spend well over £400 I am going to get a good kit with good instructions and castings.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:15:15 pm »

See if they will let you do a shop / factory visit...
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:16:19 pm »

Mountfleet did have a fire at their premises some years back which destroyed many of their master white metal mouldings. They subsequently used production castings from unbuilt kits to make new masters and I think that in some cases the quality of certain of the production castings was affected as a result. Whether that included Ben Ain or whether new replacement masters have been fabricated I'm afraid I don't know.

You are quite rightly looking for someone who has recently built or is building the kit for reassurance. Unfortunately only a relatively small proportion of modellers actively participate on Forums so it is a bit hit and miss as to whether you get a response. It may be worth emailing Mountfleet to see if they can put you in touch with recent purchasers who may be able to set your mind at rest. As you say, £400+ is not a small sum.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 08:30:51 pm »

Having made two Mountfleet kits perhaps I can make some comments about them. In general the glassfibre mouldings are good although the superstructure moulding on the Cruiser had some flaws, it looked like the mould was past its best in places. These flaws were easily repaired however. The white metal castings again were generally good but a few were poorly moulded, Mountfleet are good at replacing faulty or missing parts. The ply parts printed on sheet were accurate and fitted well when made (more than can be said for some). The full size drawings were good and could be used to measure for the placement of parts although labels said not to scale, they worked well. The written instructions are basic, a few photocopied sheets that do not add much to the drawings. Both kits (ST Cruiser and Lighter No7) however turned into good models. There are build threads for both of them on this site.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.