Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Chris' HMS TIGER (C20) - 1:72 SCALE  (Read 309489 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: BOATMANS HMS TIGER C20 SCRATCHBUILD IN 1/72 SCALE
« Reply #925 on: May 09, 2021, 07:26:56 am »

HI ballastanksian

JUST to be sure on them decals im gonna fit some on a scrap bit of wood an the spray lauqer them an see if ok thanks for the heads up
chris

HI [/size]ballastanksian well i did some tests on a scrap bit of wood that i used to see if the clear lauqer would attack the paint an it was ok on all the colours so last night  i fitted some spare decals on the test bit an then sprayed over the decals an it looks fine as far as i can see no silvering under the decals so should be ok on that but when ever i do an anything like this i always test first as there is a lot of dosh invested in tiger an i dont want to mess it up if i can help it as a boaty m8 done this he dint do a test bit an his paint crazed on his hull how he's got over it i dont know as i havnt seen him yet as we now comin out of lockdown will have a look when i can chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #926 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:40 am »

mmmmmmmmmm... >>:-( difficiult to find the correct adjective for the word 'fine'........ 'fineness' would not pass the Pub Test'

....filigree is not applicable for such light & fragile brass lattice type work *&(*&*^^%%^ ...as the elements lose their fragility when assembled

Excellent result :-)) .....will need just the lightest whisper of paint :P to maintain the delicate structure :-))   [or is it delicateness?]

Derek

HI Derek  thank you for your nice comment on sayin Excellent result on that brass crane jib but its not delicate in fact its quite strong but as its gonna be postioned right near the bow end hull jiont if i dint make it fold up it would be stickin out off the hull by nr 6inches an it would most  certainly got damaged when in transport to the pond so makein it fold up is a must  thank you for lookin in at the build  :-))
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #927 on: May 09, 2021, 09:43:53 pm »

Hi Chris
Hope you don't mind me posting these shots of my Tiger all wrapped up ready for the application of the BSI 381C-676 paint, finally got enough to be able to correct the incorrect grey used earlier, just need the weather now.

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #928 on: May 10, 2021, 07:21:17 am »

Hi Chris[/size]Hope you don't mind me posting these shots of my Tiger all wrapped up ready for the application of the BSI 381C-676 paint, finally got enough to be able to correct the incorrect grey used earlier, just need the weather now.
(Bob Qoute)

HI Bob no probs what are you reworkin her completely ? as after a few yrs or so these ships need a repaint dont they as i have found out an done how long have you had her now ? An yes waiting for the warm wheather can take months as i have found out tryin to paint spray my TIGER as i missed the chance back in in the end of march we had a couple of days of warm wheather  but  i after that i kept an eye on the wheather forecast now

but yesterday we got a nice sunny warm day  so it was panic stations an get the hulls down into the garage so i could spray the 4 coats of clear lauqer on the hulls

an  that lauqer as it stinks something terrible an me even with a double masks   on an goggles on it gave me a headacke an had to get out an away from it  fast
as its ok  an losses the smell when its gone dry an hard but im not best pleased with the finish but like on my other ships after a little while it will wheather down an look better then i can carry on to the next stage but for now will have to leave it alone an let that lauqer go off an harden for a week or so
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #929 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:19 pm »

Chris
Not a rework but when I originally finished her order the light weather works paint, did a test spray and all seemed ok, but having painted her it dried to the shade of the grey used before that, much like Cavalier at Chatham.
This time decided to use an airbrush and wait till I could get enough of the grey, all in place just need the weather now

Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #930 on: May 10, 2021, 09:00:34 pm »

Chris
Not a rework but when I originally finished her order the light weather works paint, did a test spray and all seemed ok, but having painted her it dried to the shade of the grey used before that, much like Cavalier at Chatham.
This time decided to use an airbrush and wait till I could get enough of the grey, all in place just need the weather now

Bob

YEA Bob that was my problem the weather  but ive managed to spray her yestereday as it was nice an sunny an warm here with  clear lauqer 4 coats
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #931 on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:51 pm »

Miserable and wet with intermittent burst of sun lasting Nano seconds.  Never used lacquer, much prefer one coat matt varnish, but its what works for us isn't it.

bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #932 on: May 10, 2021, 10:52:13 pm »

Miserable and wet with intermittent burst of sun lasting Nano seconds.  Never used lacquer, much prefer one coat matt varnish, but its what works for us isn't it.

bob
HI Bob yes the weather has been a devil as you never know how it will work now one its sunny an warm nxt day its hail an sleet crazy isnt it an this is may i dont think we will get much nice weather afore sept
stay well Bob
ATB Chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #933 on: May 11, 2021, 09:34:59 am »

HI Bob when you get your tiger all sprayed up can you please post some pics of her  on here if you like or on your thread either one  :-))
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #934 on: May 11, 2021, 01:28:07 pm »

Until I can get Roosevelt on the water for a test ballasting I don’t know how much more ballast she will need to bring her down to the correct water line. I’ve do prelim checks in the hot tube, this showed she still requires additional ballas
[/size](Dave Qoute) from his burke thread
[/size]
[/size]AN hi Dave yea getting the ballast correct is a HECK of a job especially when i was building my big USS NIMITZ CVN-68 here in her test tank as there was so much over hang from the flightdeck was nr 2an a half feet wide an now my TIGER will be hopefully in the test tank in a month or so
[/size]https://ibb.co/Tt46RPVchris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #935 on: May 11, 2021, 03:32:51 pm »

AN  NIMTZ  at  water level veiw in test tank
https://ibb.co/25gM38g

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #936 on: May 11, 2021, 09:38:03 pm »

HI Bob when you get your tiger all sprayed up can you please post some pics of her  on here if you like or on your thread either one  :-))
chris

Chris
Will do, probably hull first as still a few tweaks to do to the bridge, the SCOT domes and bases arrived to day so building their platforms now.

Bob
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #937 on: May 11, 2021, 09:38:47 pm »

AN  NIMTZ  at  water level veiw in test tank
https://ibb.co/25gM38g

Nice test tank

Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #938 on: May 12, 2021, 06:35:06 am »

Nice test tank

Bob
HI Bob yes it does the job  its a cattle  trough   that a freind gave me  an just a nice size an TIGER should fit in ok
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #939 on: May 12, 2021, 09:42:47 pm »

Ha Ha love it Chris
First three coats on Tiger, think you can see a big difference in colour not correct standards paint used.

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:39 am »

Ha Ha love it Chris
First three coats on Tiger, think you can see a big difference in colour not correct standards paint used.

Bob

HI Bob  glad you like my test tank as its been a very handy item an glad you getting her resprayed in normal grey an you say you are tweeking the bridge an such so is this repairing the damage you got on  hitting that bit of concrete overhang as thats nearly  happened to me
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2021, 10:46:22 pm »

Chris
Tweaking the bridge involves replacing the top of the mast (done) and fitting new SCOT domes platforms in correct location and adding the new SCOT domes and bases. then a coat of grey, add the pennant numbers and we are done.
Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #942 on: May 14, 2021, 06:52:00 am »

Chris
Tweaking the bridge involves replacing the top of the mast (done) and fitting new SCOT domes platforms in correct location and adding the new SCOT domes and bases. then a coat of grey, add the pennant numbers and we are done.
Bob

HI Bob  oh so very glad you have repaired the mast an new scott domes on her could you please send a couple of pics of her when she is done
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #943 on: May 19, 2021, 08:11:34 pm »

HI ALL UPDATE TIME
AN im thinking of leaveing the ships crane for a while so i can think up how to get it to work if possible
so ive been working on spraying the hull with clear lauqer to give her a better bit of water proffing an now ive done that ive stripped off the maskin tape so the lovely stainless steel prop tube are now seen
https://ibb.co/4JVjV38

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #944 on: May 19, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »

an now some pics on how far shes got with her stabilizers all fitted in an her big rudder as well fitted in an props all fitted on an soon now will be test tank time but first i fitted in some metal L SHAPE angels to give the hull jiont more strenght
https://ibb.co/SxnqxLt

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #945 on: May 19, 2021, 08:22:40 pm »

an all painted up a nice white so look nice an neat
https://ibb.co/BBNmmfr

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #946 on: May 19, 2021, 08:23:17 pm »

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #947 on: May 19, 2021, 08:23:50 pm »

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #948 on: May 19, 2021, 08:25:34 pm »

an here some shots of the props an shafts
https://ibb.co/sRtnX7p

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #949 on: May 19, 2021, 08:26:06 pm »

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.