Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Chris' HMS TIGER (C20) - 1:72 SCALE  (Read 309584 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Chris' HMS TIGER (C20) - 1:72 SCALE
« Reply #1425 on: April 09, 2022, 12:35:27 pm »

Hi Chris;

5;The plane was pushed down to the deck for taking-off with spinning the props and the flaps were fully down as well. {-)
 And wheels were just off the deck and afloat !! {-) {-)
I have set 2 prop-spinning fighters,the other one is waiting for take-off with spinning the props at the rear deck. :D

Kiyo
Just a little criticism on your setup. A seafire would not take off with the flaps full down, this was a landing setup and would produce too much drag on take off. As a Spitfire's flaps had only two settings, full up and full down they had to use wooden wedges to hold the flap mid way for take off. The procedure was to set the flaps full down, insert the wedge then set flaps up. The wedge would stop the flap at take off position, after take off and once speed had buillt up then flaps down was momentarily selected, the wedge would drop out and flaps would then go to up for normal flying.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1426 on: April 09, 2022, 07:52:04 pm »

HI Kiyo some nice work on your sefires an they look great on take off an we both have the same ideas to get the plane or helo working as you like me like a challange to try an get things working well done Sir an me im still working on my seaking as now my mini motors have turned up in post an i was amazed how small they are as i got 5 of them for only £2.95 an they are only 3mm withd an 5 mm long so one should fit in the tail of the seaking to work the tail rotor ok an i want to fit in a micro hinge so the tail will fold round just like the real thing but will see on that
ATB
Chris  :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1427 on: April 09, 2022, 07:55:44 pm »

Great ideas from both of you for hiding things like power and support structures! Not easy on diddy models even with minute motors etc.

YES THANKS we do try an i try an get things working an if i can as it brings the model to life just like Kiyo has done
an thanks for lookin in
chris b :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1428 on: April 10, 2022, 01:49:06 am »

Hi Jim G;
Glad to have your precious ,informative and unexpected content of comment on my flaps set up of the Seafire..
I have long been thinking that a carrier based war bird is to lay the flaps out to gain as much lift and as possible on the short deck of the carrier whenever they take off as seen in the pics below.

But,anyhow the Sea fire is an exception different from other warbirds ..I have know the Seafire case with your advice.!

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1429 on: April 10, 2022, 03:30:17 am »

YES THANKS we do try an i try an get things working an if i can as it brings the model to life just like Kiyo has done
an thanks for lookin in
chris b :-))

Thanks a lot for your comments and interests on my posting,Chris and ballastanksian.
A warship to load something like aircrafts is rather interesting and enjoyable to build while takes additional time and works
to complete in exchange for the awesome result and scale realism instead. :-))

Kiyo

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1430 on: April 10, 2022, 07:24:18 am »

Thanks a lot for your comments and interests on my posting,Chris and ballastanksian.
A warship to load something like aircrafts is rather interesting and enjoyable to build while takes additional time and works
to complete in exchange for the awesome result and scale realism instead. :-))

Kiyo

HI KIYO yes you are right its better to have things workings if you can rather than just static
as you say it makes the modeling more instresting an challenging an the model itself is more instresting as ive found out the general public loved to see my radars all 3 working on my norfolk an to see an listen to the gun turning an battle alarm whooping an to see the merlin heicopter goin with both main rotars an tail rotars an to see it all the lights on it
https://ibb.co/qmLMXg7

an ready for take off
https://ibb.co/RCBp6cv

as a lot of the general public really thought it would an ive lost count of the people videoin it on their phones an they loved it an gave very nice comments more so the women an children than the men but in general they all like it an for my wife jen an i it makes a fanstastic day out as takin norfolk it up norwich pond again on aprill 24th for a garla day just got to hope the wheather is sunny an warm so looking forward to the day
all best to you Kiyo an happy modeling :-))
chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1431 on: April 10, 2022, 08:56:57 am »

Hi Chris;
I do completely understand your present feeling toward 24th this month at Norwich.!! O0
And I wish you a best weather should come true for the day when many Rc boaters should come together with their boastful ships and boats as well as genera public who might be interested in the hobby very much!! :-))
By the way, it has become around 26 degrees C here in Tokyo today already and the day over 25 degrees C is defined as a summer day by our Meteorological Agency,which temperature is abnormal for this season originally but not so unusual in the past decade here in Tokyo. :embarrassed:  Instead,I could have more chances to enjoy RC boating by the enlarged summer time.! :-)) :-))
Your heli looks so gorgeous and fantastic which will attract many general publics especially at night.
Your Jen will play a role of camera woman on the day like my wife? {-)   %%

Looking forward to seeing many pics of the day

Kiyo

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1432 on: April 10, 2022, 10:30:21 am »

Chris
MOD markings for a T23

Bob

I will finish this model

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1433 on: April 10, 2022, 11:30:20 am »

Hi Jim G;
Glad to have your precious ,informative and unexpected content of comment on my flaps set up of the Seafire..
I have long been thinking that a carrier based war bird is to lay the flaps out to gain as much lift and as possible on the short deck of the carrier whenever they take off as seen in the pics below.

But,anyhow the Sea fire is an exception different from other warbirds ..I have know the Seafire case with your advice.!

Kiyo
Generally flaps on an aircraft have two functions depending on their position. When partially open they provide extra lift for take off by altering the airfoil shape at their position. When fully open any extra lift is counteracted by the extra drag they produce by being at a higher angle to the airflow, this is then used on landing to reduce the airspeed and the landing run. This drag often allows them to come in at a steeper angle on landing without raching too high a speed, a good example is the Khe San approach by military transports.  A Spitfire is a low drag airframe so loses speed for landing slowly, the full flap allows it to use shorter runways. I see this when I fly my turbine aircraft which are all fitted with flaps. I may use partial flaps on takeoff  on calmer days when there is little wind down the runway. On landing I need to use full flap to slow the plane down enough for landing, the drag from the flap is enough that I generally have to increase the throttle to maintain flying speed. I normally fly from a grass runway with only an occasional use of a full size tarmac runway so have limited runway length.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1434 on: April 10, 2022, 12:47:31 pm »

Chris
MOD markings for a T23

Bob

CHEERS Bob but bit late now as the ship is built but thanks for the info
hope you both as well as can be
ATB to you sir PS Bob could you please give me a link to that chap mike  site with his eletroins gun fire sound unit as i cant find it
chrisb

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1435 on: April 10, 2022, 05:04:42 pm »

Chris
just thought you might like it, never have to much data
Model Radio Workshop is what you need to search for

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1436 on: April 10, 2022, 08:21:38 pm »

Chris
just thought you might like it, never have to much data
Model Radio Workshop is what you need to search for

Bob
OK CHEERS Bob  an i'll have a look at it
atb chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1437 on: April 11, 2022, 01:43:18 am »

Generally flaps on an aircraft have two functions depending on their position. When partially open they provide extra lift for take off by altering the airfoil shape at their position. When fully open any extra lift is counteracted by the extra drag they produce by being at a higher angle to the airflow, this is then used on landing to reduce the airspeed and the landing run. This drag often allows them to come in at a steeper angle on landing without raching too high a speed, a good example is the Khe San approach by military transports.  A Spitfire is a low drag airframe so loses speed for landing slowly, the full flap allows it to use shorter runways. I see this when I fly my turbine aircraft which are all fitted with flaps. I may use partial flaps on takeoff  on calmer days when there is little wind down the runway. On landing I need to use full flap to slow the plane down enough for landing, the drag from the flap is enough that I generally have to increase the throttle to maintain flying speed. I normally fly from a grass runway with only an occasional use of a full size tarmac runway so have limited runway length.
Jim

You are quite correct to understand the effectiveness of the flap.!
I used to study hard the effectiveness of it before starting to build RC scale planes with flaps which flaps were "must" to enjoy the scale like flying as well as safe and secure landings.
I made it a practise to get the flaps a bit down for secure take-offs in my local so narrow a flying "baseball ground"partly with grass. {-) :-))
1;A trainer of the flaps fully down
2;Piper Cherokee with the flaps fully down
3;1/7 Focke-wulf D-9 "Dora" at rest
4;Front 1/8 FA-18 "Hornet"is equipped with flaps which are indispensable to land.
Kiyo

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1438 on: April 11, 2022, 06:46:22 am »

HI Kiyo some very nice planes there an i really like the F/W 190  BUT could you start your own thread on this as this is my tiger thread
ATB
Chris  :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1439 on: April 11, 2022, 11:59:57 am »

Sorry Chris for taking some of the thread away from your excellent Tiger.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1440 on: April 11, 2022, 12:10:50 pm »

Sorry Chris for taking some of the thread away from your excellent Tiger.
Jim

THATS OK Jim its just that it was getting a little out of hand  :-))
CHEERS have a nice day because it is nice an sunny here an jen has gone for a walk out in the fresh air but its a little to fresh for me so im stayin in an modeling
ATB to you Sir
chris b

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1441 on: April 11, 2022, 12:49:11 pm »

Hi Chris;

I'm awfully sorry for our postings out of main theme. <:(

Kiyo

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1442 on: April 11, 2022, 01:56:09 pm »

Hi Chris;

I'm awfully sorry for our postings out of main theme. <:(

Kiyo

HI Kiyo dont worry about it no problem an that F/W 190 looks a super plane i built one about 50 years ago an it was a controll line job as could not afford R/C THEN in them days
ATB to you also Sir  :-))
chris b

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1443 on: April 13, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »

ANYWAY meanwhile back on the helo build  ive just got my tiny motor to work my tail rotator an it only about 3mm by about 6mm so it should fit it the tail section of my seaking
https://ibb.co/wBCDRSK

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1444 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:06 pm »

an it does lovely fit
https://ibb.co/LpwpQLW

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1445 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:53 pm »

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1446 on: April 13, 2022, 08:04:27 pm »

an here its all wired in an the red stobe flashing led is fitted an a white tail light i think they have
https://ibb.co/Bs4fvRr

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1447 on: April 13, 2022, 08:06:16 pm »

here nxt the tails two halfs goin togeather an hinge fitted
https://ibb.co/KjV8VWk

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1448 on: April 13, 2022, 08:08:25 pm »

an yes the tiny motor spun the tail rotor like a oneoh
https://ibb.co/6ZC1tMx

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1449 on: April 13, 2022, 08:11:20 pm »

here all the fusalarge bit have got to fit togeather an im dreading this as it is not a good fit so see how it goes
https://ibb.co/2vHzc2p

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.