Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Torrey Canyon  (Read 2085 times)

Airtrooper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
SS Torrey Canyon
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:15:36 pm »

I'm searching for plans (lines, body, GA etc.) for SS Torrey Canyon. Plans for the Torrey Canyon herself may be tough to come by, but I believe she was built to a common design? If so, does anyone have details? T'internet tells me she was an LR2 (any ideas if that is a class, or a specific design?) Suezmax (i.e. maximum dimensions for the canal) tanker built by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company and initially had an oil capacity of 60,000 tons, but was later enlarged (simply lengthened, with any luck?!) in Japan to 120,000 tons capacity. If anyone knows any more, or can even direct me to some plans, I'd be very grateful indeed!

Many thanks

Andy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Torrey Canyon
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:30 am »

Hi my first searchbrought up.  Good luck with the rest
Roy

SS Torrey Canyon was an LR2 Suezmax class oil tanker with a cargo capacity of 120,000 tons of crude oil. She was shipwrecked off the western coast of Cornwall, England, on 18 March 1967, causing an environmental disaster. At that time she was the largest vessel ever to be wrecked.Capacity: 120,000 tons of crude oilName: SS Torrey CanyonFate: Sank after running aground on 18 March ...Owner: Barracuda Tanker Corporation

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:07:57 pm »

Two suggestions to try, 1) U S Maritime Academy Museum at King's Point 2) The mariner's Museum at Newport News, Virginia. The is a gent who lives locally who is the model repairman for King's Point. I'll ask him to contact the museum's curator. You can e-mail directly as well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:47:23 am »

courtesy of WIKI....the name of the vessel came from the Torrey Canyon Oil Company.......

The following link confirms this......it is also absolutely fascinating reading, treading very carefully on who owns or owned what in the world of Commerce, Politics and even War  <*<  .....yes all for black gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unocal_Corporation
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:26 pm »

I reached my friend. Don't bother with the US Maritime Academy museum. Their only interest was US flagged ships. I am looking at the Smithsonian's merchant catalog and will let you know if she is in it, doubtful. You might also consider checking with the public relations department at Newport News Shipbuilding. They might possibly have plans.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.