Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516  (Read 50121 times)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:16 am »

Hi Everyone,

Great to now be active on the MBM Forum. Looking around at the wealth of shared experience is an inspiration. My GF and I hope to make our own contributions as we embark on our first build, a Billings Banckert 516.

Growing up by the sea, river tugs have always caught my eye the most. For me their shape is perfect, having a definite timeless quality.

This project is something we are working on together; I've some carpentry skills and can make tea, my better half is good with science and is not easily frustrated (this will come in handy as the build plans are let's say 'challenging'). Neither of us has any experience with electronics, this is something we'd like to learn more about to get running lights on board.

Photos of first steps:   https://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/8gvX

Cheers,
Phil

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:53 pm »

Hmmm...

There seems to be something amiss with the link to your pictures.  If you want them to appear in your post, do this (I assume you have uploaded your pics to the MBM image site)  -

Select the image you want to post, then click on Embed Codes under the picture.  In the Full Image section, put your cursor over the BBCode line and a small box saying Copy should appear.  Click on this, then go to your message and paste that where you want the picture to appear.  I did all that and...

Good luck with the build.  Keep asking questions, there will always be answers and the rest of us will learn something as well.

Greg

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:49 pm »

Thanks so much for your help Greg!!

Think I have it now:

Keeping all the ABS cut offs for glue/bond/epoxy testing.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:46:04 pm »

:-))

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
Help to bond ABS to Plywood - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:35:28 pm »

Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommended way of bonding ABS to plywood? A number of threads mention epoxy and yellow glue for example. We are currently living in Japan and having tested 6 types of both flexible and stiff drying Japanese glues, so far nothing has stuck. The ABS has been roughed up but the bonds have simply peeled off even after 48 hours of drying. Any brand names would be appreciated that we could order online.

Thanks,
Phil

RST

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:57:38 pm »

Stabilit express (stability express more commonly marketed as). Don't know if you can get it in shops in far east. I had to order from Germany via eBay.

Rich

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 05:59:33 am »

Hey Rich, thank you so much for the reply.
We've done some initial searches here but would probably have to order from Germany too it looks like.
Appreciate your help  :-))

Phil

RST

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:22 am »

No worries. Always fancied a banckert, but the wood puts me off these days, and they're getting expensive here when I see them. Do you know tamiya make a liquid solvent for abs to abs, you'll get that easy peasy.

Rich

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:23:42 pm »

Thanks again Rich, will look out for that here (Tokyo). I was really surprised as so far I've not found any model shops which carry boats and parts. There are plenty of car, planes, helis and drones to be found. Wonder if there are any other Mayhemers here. We ordered the Banckert from a stockist a fair way from the capital (too far to visit).

Today was the first day working with the laser cut wood in the kit. Although it starts off pretty scorched on the underside, with a bit of light sanding it comes up nice. We've already decided that the plans are merely a loose guide. With a square and some creative license. pleasing results can be had. Here are some more pics of today's efforts.

Heated a spike on the stove and made a pilot hole before using a 2mm bit and finishing the rest by hand.

Some of the bigger pieces are oversized so needed some trimming and shaping.

On to sanding a bit more then priming when dry.

Cheers!

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »

Built a Banckert years ago. It's a nice wee kit. I added a bow trusted to mine cos I'd never tried one before but it handled well without using the thruster. I think I replaced some of the plywood with styrene sheet to get a better finish without all the filling and sanding.

I'd be surprised if a 2 part epoxy doesn't bond ply to roughened ABS but acrylic glues stick just about anything to anything else - Stabilit Express as has been suggested or the one I use at the moment is called Super Crylic.

Good luck with your build.  Ralph

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »

Thanks Ralph for the reply and info about Super Crylic. In your experience, how is it to sand and shape post curing?

Today we removed a little more out of the deck and sured up the frame that sits below with corner pieces and a cross-brace. This part of the deck has around a 2mm curve front to aft so it might be a bit of challenge to get the balsa insert to bend that much. We'll see.

Put a chamfer on the deck underside

Curved frame for deck underside

Widened the laser cut holes to receive the portholes

Cheers!

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:14:21 pm »

Wow Billings Banckert with the ABS hull was my first modelboat way back in time and before laser cuts. Still have it but it needs some TLC.
If you are on FB try to look up Mr Nobuhisa Watanabe he is located in Tokyo and do "play" with modelboats he may be able to point you in the right direction for modelboat parts in Tokyo.

RegardsCarsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 08:14:54 pm »

Acrylic glues set very hard so they take a bit of work to sand smooth.  Riffler files are good to take off the worst in awkward places then finish off with wet & dry.

Regards Ralph

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 08:55:26 pm »

hello phil  i noticed you have the Billings Banckert 516 kit  (nice kit btw) any way have you got the fittings kit  511  that goes with 516 as i dont see any in your pics best regards pat

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 01:01:04 am »

Thanks Tica - I'm not an FB user but I could find his page. Appreciate the idea!!

Hey Pat, yes I have the 511 fittings kit (I believe it is all the brass fittings and lifebelts etc.) Some very nice detailed bits included. Looking forward to adding those on.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 09:02:33 am »

We had a little time today to work on the Banckert. Having received some kind advice from a local builder "Sugi-san" in Japan, we are now in the process of getting our hands on some epoxy. The Japanese name for it is: セメダイン ハイスーパー30 (Cemedine High Super 30).

Reading up on the build, I'd noted people mentioning that the wood isn't square in the kit. So far we've found it to be fine although offering it to the curved hull becomes the brain teezer. Test fitting part of the forward structure showed that the starboard side gets pushed out of square at the front by the desk's molding. The side will go back to square but we saw the whole piece edge away (about 4mm) from the intended position. We've put a 2mm bead under the wheelhouse floor to make sure we retain square during assembly. The deck may need a bit of light persuasion.

Some light sanding to remove the mild laser burn

Took off the bevel from the wheelhouse deck

Test fit

Added a 2mm bead under the wheelhouse floor to help with assembly

Have a good weekend all!

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
Recommended Gear - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »

Hi All,

For our Banckert project we'd like to ask for recommendations regarding running gear.
We haven't any experience to go off (yet), and so would ask what fellow MBMayhemers feel would be a solid basic setup (easily maintained). 

We have a few things in our minds at this point:

1. to achieve a scale-like speed (nothing overly fast for a tug)
2. a simple motor without gearing (very interested in brushless)
3. a brass prop
4. not planning to tow anything (we know "but it's a tug!")
25. way on down the line (ability allowing) we may 'attempt' adding in a self-contained bilge pump

So far we have the stuffing tube which came with the kit and that is all. So we really are starting from the beginning.
We appreciate that a 'solid basic setup' will mean different things to different people, we hope to get a better idea based on wisdom of this brilliant forum.

Cheers!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 12:48:58 pm »

Nice build thanks for sharing
This guy might answer some questions for you
https://youtu.be/Li6SB1B1vFM
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 03:44:35 pm »

hello phil  i noticed you have the Billings Banckert 516 kit  (nice kit btw) any way have you got the fittings kit  511  that goes with 516 as i dont see any in your pics best regards pat
Hi Pat
I believe that Billings kits come with fittings these days and not as separate purchases
This kit from CMB is a bargain at £180

Dearer here but includes a list of what is included.
https://www.trinityaries.com/shop/model-boats/model-boats-billing-boats/experienced/billing-boats-b516-banckert-tug-model-boat-kit-fittings/

Phil ! The above Link shows recommended accessories which may help with your question  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 02:34:39 am »

Thank you so much for the links Andy  ;D  gave us a good pointer in terms of what is what.

Very interested to know what other Banckert or similar sized vessel owners are running too.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:42 am »

A good epoxy or modified acrylic glue will work fine for wood to ABS. Modified acrylics come under many brand names, and consistencies, Stabilit express is one, as is Deluxe materials Super Crylic, Devcon Plastic Welder I and II, Uhu Plus Acrylit, Loctite do a range, as do Starloc adhesives (very competitive prices).

For epoxy my favourite is JB weld marine, as it sands well, and being pigmented is easy to see where you have any where you don't want it.

Most of the glues will sand back, although some epoxies and modified acrylics can be a little chewy, the trick is to mask off areas you don't want overspill on, then apply the glue, that minimises any clean-up required.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 11:22:51 am »

With regards to the motor, can you tell me the prop size? I'm guessing it'll be about 40-50mm for a tug that size and scale?

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:27 pm »

Thank you @Subculture for your information and advice. Very interested in the epoxy containing pigment. We were recommended this prop by a UK seller: Raboesch 40mm 3 Blade R/H C-Type.
The hull is 65cm long, 16cm wide (1:50)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 04:56:13 pm »

Raboesch tend to be roughly square props e.g. the pitch is roughly equal to the diameter. That tends to work very well with electric motors and is efficient. So I would aim for a shaft speed of between 4-5000rpm, which should give plenty of go, with a bit in reserve if needed.

A 28mm to 35mm brushless outrunner will run a prop that size direct drive all day long with no issues, depending on system voltage you'll want an outrunner that works at either (6v) 700kv or (12v) 350kv.

I'd go for a 6 volts system or 2s lipo/Life and a 700 kv motor e.g. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-dst-700-brushless-outrunner-motor-700kv.html

Esc, something like this is a bit overkill, but not expensive and capable.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-brushless-car-esc-30a-w-reverse.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 05:28:52 pm »

Thank you @Subculture for your information and advice. Very interested in the epoxy containing pigment. We were recommended this prop by a UK seller: Raboesch 40mm 3 Blade R/H C-Type.
The hull is 65cm long, 16cm wide (1:50)

ALWAYS test glues, paints, fillers on scrap before committing to the final job!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.