Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516  (Read 50095 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2020, 09:59:43 am »

Regarding the propeller, Prop Shop do a huge range, but their standard threads are M2 or M4.  However, if you are really keen, they will probably do you a one-off with a M3 thread.

Greg

RST

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2020, 10:32:19 pm »

I first thought, M3, you'll be lucky but Cornwall model boats stock plenty of M3 props, including those for a kort nozzle, from Raboesh etc. If your prop tube (no American terminology) is 6mm OD though I would personally recommend changing to M4 slimline and fitting the built-in oiler/greasing point also.

Rich

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2020, 12:05:31 pm »

The microwave wood bending tip from SailorGreg is working well. Should have the handrails wrapped soon. Thank you to Greg and Rich for the links and pointers.

Here are a few progress shots.

Added 5mm of combing to the access hatch. This went together really smoothly as cutting the long pieces on the proud side allowed for the model to cut into the ends, effectively locking them in place. They'll get some kind of protective coat before gluing them.

To the underside of the hatch we fit these five grabs.

Two of the rope guides are in. The one on the stern still needs a mounting point

Base for the bridge mast.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 12:51:50 pm »

We've worked on a few things since the last post. Used up more of the bits from the supplied fittings kit.

The winch is assembled. Trimmed down the levers a touch.

It was the the first time to try out Tamiya Epoxy Putty, found it to be excellent. Watched a few YouTube vids and a top tip is keep your hands wet when rolling and forming it into shape. Dries out great and then easy to file/sand. Used here to fix the tow rope guide to its wooden base.

Some lighting shots. Still in two minds on the best way to approach this. Probably practice with a few more circuit designs before deciding.

Decided to try our hand at laying a wooden deck. Created templates then used strips of 2mm x 5mm.

Used some graphite to darken one edge of each piece for contrast. (Photo shows a test piece with both edges darkened. The effect was too heavy - one edge only looks better!)

My girlfriend made an absolutely cracking job of the forward deck.

Can move on to shaping tomorrow.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2020, 10:50:42 am »

We finished up shaping the deck sections this week. Initially the idea was to have the superstructure sit in various cutouts in the sections, remaining in contact with the plastic from where all of the measurements/fitment have been made so far. It half worked but did leave some gaps that kept catching the eye. This led to some reworking to now have the superstructure and rear hatch resting on the new deck. All the bits will get epoxied down later on after coats of stain and varnish.

Today began trimming the hull down to match up with the deck.

Thanks for looking.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2020, 12:13:50 pm »

She looks a treat Phil and Co  :-)) The cardboard template idea is good but I recommend that if retained, you seal it well against moisture to prevent expansion and warping.
Pond weed is your enemy

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2020, 05:36:28 pm »

Hello Phil. Pleased to find this thread on coming back to the forum after some time. As I am probably locked down for months due to my missus being highly vulnerable, I went up in the loft and dug out all my half-finished and yet-to-start projects. One of these is my Billings Banckert, which as far as I can work out I actually started somewhere around 1985!! I got it complete except for  some detailing and had it powered up and on the water with a 27 MHz set. For a variety of reasons it has been  consigned to the loft for years, until the start of the lockdown. It took a helluva lot of cleaning!
I have kept the old 6v Monoperm motor with the original prop as it worked very well on the water. I am replacing the r/c with a modern 2.4GHz set, new battery pack obviously, and a solid state speed controller to replace the old resistance unit. I have had to get the old stuff out through the top deck cutouts, which has been a bit of a job, but the new stuff is all smaller and easier to get in.
I have only had a relatively small amount of detailing to do, masts and aerials, top deck railings and fittings, etc., but all I have to work from is the drawing and two photos that I cut from the original box. I see from your photos that you have started the railings from the top, can I just offer a couple of observations?
 The pipes to the fire monitors are a right pig because they have to be bent in three planes, and you have to make the port one a mirror image of the starboard one, which is easier said than done. On mine , part of the monitor-deck railings had to be cut away for the pipes to go through, and I also found it very difficult to get their entries into the base of the funnel evenly lined up.. What probably made things worse was the 25-year -plus gap between making the port one and making the starboard one!
 Hopefully your instructions will remind you, but don't forget to fit the access rungs onto the deckhouse side that go from adjacent to the wheelhouse doors up to the deck in front of the funnel - BEFORE you fit the other railings. I didn't realise I had missed them till all the railings were fixed in place, which makes it very, very difficult to fit them , and that's what I am currently struggling with.
  I'm looking forward to following your build. I think your modelling standards are probably higher than mine, which makes me a bit embarrassed to attach photos, but what the hell, mine will be the best I can manage. And I think I might be able to stake a claim for the longest time to complete a model! :-)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2020, 05:05:05 am »

Thanks very much for your help @ballastanksian and @SteveH, really appreciate the advice from yourselves and this brilliant forum.

Bought some wood stain for the decking, going to see how that turns out today. The wood will get sealed with clear varnish top and bottom before being epoxied to the ABS. There is some undulation (by design) in the ABS, need to buy more clamps for the task.

"And I think I might be able to stake a claim for the longest time to complete a model! :-)" LOOOL, thank you for sharing your experience Steve, would be great to see photos of your Banckert. Noted your recommendation on access rungs, cheers. Our superstructure parts aren't yet connected so access is still OK. Due to making the small platform to the funnel mounted ladder, there is about a 5-rung offcut which might get used for the deckhouse ladder. About the pipes to the fire-monitors, while not true to the build, we decided to leave them out pretty early on. I did have a go but like you said they are a pig. Skill limit met. Maybe I'll have another go down the line. BTW PM me if you need any more reference info.

RE: Vents on the funnel, I owe Billing's an apology. Previously, we could not find the parts for the funnel vents at all. The other day I spotted them on the decals sheet.... ;)
Also the thread on the supplied propshaft is M4 (not M3). Now verified with an M4 bolt.

Bilge keel question.
The clip below is of a superb Banckert build by a Japanese modeler. His bilge keel placement we guess looks on the money from what we have read which is:

- length around 1/3 of the hull
- positioned 45 degrees from their mounting points on the hull
- they need to be above the hull's baseline

Bilge keel shot at (02:54) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoP06JkoA8

Would appreciate any information on tackling these. Thanks in advance.

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 09:02:01 am »

wow you are doing amazing work. I have been away for quite some time but have a half started kit prior to the laser cut ply pieces in a cupboard. I purchased ti half started and didn't like the superstructure which had been made rather poorly. So I started remaking out of plasticard. I may have to put it back out the cupboard and try and carry on with it. If it looks half as good as yours does I will be happy.

Keep up the amazing work.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2020, 04:50:48 pm »

Phil-22, haven't heard from you for a while, I hope the virus has not got at you? When you read this, check your Inbox, I sent you a PM.

My Billings Banckert is finally complete after a 35 year build !! Started in 1985, three-quarters finished , and banished to the loft ever since after a house move. Finally detailed and finished thanks to the Covid lockdown. Oh well,better late than never.  :embarrassed:

Now trying to figure out how to get it down to the lake and tested without going near anyone.

If I can figure out how to reduce the file size of my photos I will post a couple, my phone camera  appears to produce jpeg's of over 2MB. Advice welcomed...

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2020, 12:11:40 pm »

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement @thething84 appreciate it! Did your Banckert come with the ABS hull too? I think I read somewhere that originally it was planked. How is your plasticard rebuild of the superstructure coming along? Be great to see some shots!

Hi SteveH,
Congratulations!!!! The best things take time as they say : )

Yeah all good here thanks! Nice one for the info about her operating in Iran under the name Takavar. The link to vesselfinder and the slipway pic: https://www.vesselfinder.com/ship-photos/139147, will help with the bilge keels.

We found these resources useful:
Banckert circa April, 1983
http://merseamuseum.org.uk/mmphoto.php?pid=ASH055&hit=432&tot=2557

Nice collection of shots
https://www.varenderfgoed.nl/nieuwezee/banckert.html

About resizing images MS Paint has a resize button.
Open your image in Paint > Press Resize > Then select a percentage of the original file dimensions > Save as a different filename if you want to keep the original pic.

On a Mac, open an image in Preview > Tools > Adjust Size > Enter a new width, height and resolution.
(^ this is how I do it, set width to 12cm (height will auto resize if selected) and set Resolution to 150)

Cheers again!

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »

On a bit of a break atm but this where things are up to:

Another undercoat on all ply parts. Planked deck pre-stain and varnish.

Forward portholes installed

Stained, sanded and varnished x2 rounds

Going for the weathered worn look

Funnel gets a topcoat - mast to go either mustard-yellow (original colour) or white

Trimmed down the anchors, took another 3mm off the offcuts then bonded the bits at right angles. The thinking here being, that if we put anchor recesses into the hull, they might interfere with the bow wave as the model looks like it sits low. We'll see.

Probably never a candidate for any technical schematic awards LOL, it sure helped to figure out where things go with our noob custom circuit attempts hahahaha

Results - this is the mockup to see if it worked. Resistors and LEDs to be trimmed down with the next version.

Thanks for looking.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2020, 01:41:30 pm »

Thats looking great and a very clean, crisp and tidy job too

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2020, 05:25:11 pm »

Thanks for the photo links, Phil, and the advice on resizing. I have had a go with the resize function on my laptop so I will try adding a resized shot as an attachment. Fingers crossed! :-)

It worked!!

Crew members are two modified deserters from a 1:48 B24 Liberator plastic kit. I like to think the one is telling the other to get his 'bottom'  down on deck and give him a hand.......

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2020, 06:46:15 pm »

That is certainly a very smart first build. Whereabouts in Oxfordshire are you?
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2020, 09:50:35 pm »

That is certainly a very smart first build. Whereabouts in Oxfordshire are you?

Dave, I am in Abingdon. I could put my boats on the river (Thames) if its calm enough, but I get a bit concerned about the "traffic"-  some of the rowers don't even seem able to see my sailing dinghy, let alone a model boat. The marina slipway is too weedy, so Hinksey lake is my nearest suitable water. Thanks for the compliment; it isn't actually my first build, that was a Graupner Marina, but they are very simple. I have actually just restored it for my grandsons to play with.
That's a good thing about model boats, they are remarkably long-lived. I bought an r/c Thames barge last year from an old chap in Somerset, although it is a moulded hull ( I think it is from an HFM? kit) it must be twenty years old at least, but a bit of repainting and refurbishing and a new 2.4 r/c set and its good for another twenty! Unless it goes down with all hands, of course...... :D

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2020, 09:58:18 pm »

I'm just up the road from you, then, on the A415 towards Witney. I was at Hinksey this morning, there were several people with boats there. I was on the water for about three hours.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2020, 11:57:03 am »

Cheers @MarkT for the compliment, having a lot of fun and enjoyment building the kit.

Hi Steve,

Really happy to see a post of your Banckert. Well done indeed!

You've made an outstanding job of it and looks really true to the plans. The age of the kit adds to the appeal having a real-world look about it. Great work with the pipes to the fire monitors too.  I'm interested to know if and how you made the material bumper (unsure of the technical term).

If you don't start a comeback thread for your build, feel free to post more shots on this thread, especially when you get her back on the water =)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »

1982 movie recorded aboard the Banckert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obXBLjCs9Y

Translation of Dutch description of the footage: "Various recordings of the Banckert, ex Maasbank, de Ruyter and the Van Woelderen. With the Cardium from Vlissingen to the Oosterschelde works towed by the Breedbank, the Smitbank and the Indusbank in March 1982"

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2020, 10:10:12 pm »

Phil, the bow fender on my Banckert is a Caldercraft accessory (100mm size), bought online.It is not really correct scale for the model but the lake where I will use it most has a concrete edge, and given that it is just a plastic hull I didn't want to chance damage through accidentally ramming it. I didn't think the scale soft plastic fender on the kit was really up to the job.
A question for you - does your kit have load line  decals/stickers? my decal sheet is long gone and I can't remember if they were there or not.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2020, 12:34:23 pm »

Thank you Steve, spotted the fender online now.

Checking the decal sheet, the load line isn't there. Decals of the name Maasbank, Banckert and the funnel vents are included.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2020, 12:45:21 pm »

Hi Phil22
On your drawing of the LED circuit if you use one dropping resistor in the negative input line this will drop the voltage to all the LED's.
Save having a resistor of every LED .
Canabus

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2020, 09:28:11 pm »

Looking fab Phil and co! I liked the schematic for the electronicals  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2020, 09:57:50 am »

1982 movie recorded aboard the Banckert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obXBLjCs9Y

Translation of Dutch description of the footage: "Various recordings of the Banckert, ex Maasbank, de Ruyter and the Van Woelderen. With the Cardium from Vlissingen to the Oosterschelde works towed by the Breedbank, the Smitbank and the Indusbank in March 1982"

Thanks for finding this, Phil. Perhaps like me you find researching the vessel almost as interesting as the build. Trouble is, I now have EVEN MORE detailing to do........ {:-{

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2020, 04:18:54 am »

We hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Had to layoff the build for a month, still slowly coming back from a bout of tendonitis. While no actual work went on, a shed load of thinking continued. Understanding that this is a large part of the hobby ... and its appeal =P

The circuit for the navigation lights was dismantled and refitted into the superstructure. We are very happy with how it turned out as we now have reds, greens and a white which was the goal. Our first test builds had 5 white LEDs with the intention to add colour to them with cellophane or similar. This didn't look good at all. Again a big thanks to good people of this forum in getting us this far.

Update shots

1st fingers crossed moment - was the circuit dismantling and reassembly successful?

2nd fingers crossed moment - chopping out the mast section of the circuit then reattaching after fitting. Things are pretty tight.

Earlier in the build log we asked about the best way to seal the exposed underside of the LEDs on the mast. Vanish was one answer. Could paint be used too? Any other methods recommended by members?

A few pieces of furniture to hide the wires.

Painting under way

Map table for the bridge. Any ideas where this might be in the UK? ; )

@SteveH did you manage to get to the water with your Banckert?

Have a good weekend all!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.