Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516  (Read 50102 times)

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
Re: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2020, 09:00:47 pm »

Phil 22 - I did manage to get my Banckert on the River Thames last week when the rowers were all having a breather.
It has a Monoperm motor and I thought I would try it with a 6v lead acid brick first of all, the biggest one I could squeeze through the hatch space was only 1.3 Amp Hr but I thought if necessary I could parallel two of them.I could squeeze in a 7.2v nicad pack but the brick is heavier and it needs all the ballast it can get. There is a load of lead under the fore deck, a couple of M16x200 steel bolts under the aft hatch  and a couple of fishing weights right at the stern, and it still floats with about 5mm of boot topping out of the water.
Scale speed is fine with 6v so I will stick with that for now, might want a bit more oomph if i start towing things. At full speed the prop tends to push the stern up and the bow down, but nothing too alarming. Had a bit of trouble with the steering linkages , I think the grease in the rudder stock tubes had gone hard after all these years, but it freed up eventually. Steering ahead is quite sensitive, but awful when going astern - I think it might be the hull form - and it makes it worse if you try full rudder. The two rudders  almost close onto each other so it is like pushing a flat plate through the water.
Anyway, all went well, but I had to take it out because motor cruisers started to turn up and their bow waves are like miniature tsunamis for a 1:48 boat.
Couple of photos attached.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2020, 09:44:50 pm »

Looks good on the water - try Hinksey park on a Thursday afternoon, no motor cruisers there!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2020, 04:36:08 pm »

Fantastic!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 03:52:37 pm »

Hi All,

@SteveH: She looks great on the water, you've set a high bar indeed. Really happy to see some shots, thanks too for the helpful insights. We've read on a few threads that the stock rudders aren't the best. Will need a lot more reading up on the topic.

I've been looking at potential ballast candidates in my local DIY stores here in Tokyo. From your info sounds like we'll need a lot. Is ballast secured with any type of fixing or bond? Seen people online pouring epoxy over stainless nuts deep in the hull, this looks absolute and wondered if it's a usual approach...

Thanks!!

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:32 am »

Progress has been very slow due to ongoing tendonitis. It's really frustrating, then again it's about the journey and not the finishing. So I keep telling myself.....

Here are some updates from when I was in better form.

The last of the laser cut parts, first coat of primer.

It may be useful for future builders to know, that these are the only parts in the fittings kit that are functional. Everything else is a detail.

Repurposed the lamp shades as bases for the rigging. These will provide better contacts than only the brass wire itself going into the ply.

Most of the boat has not been fitted together yet, so access is good. Screws will hold the funnel to the sleeper and that to the bridge.

The plan is to do the upper decks in green. To get crisp edges, we cut these overlays from 0.8mm plasticard to get primed and painted.

Thanks for looking.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2020, 12:02:35 pm »

Very neat looking work.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2020, 04:34:32 am »

Thanks for the kind comment @dougal99

Well it has been a busy past few weeks. We moved home and have almost unpacked everything.   

Some light work has been completed, mostly with painting and a few details. The amount of expansion in the wooden decking is surprising as the weather has turned colder. Across the beam up to 3mm, so before permanent fitting it'll need more attention.

The superstructure details have received a starter coat of metal primer. These will go dark gun-metal later.

The plasticard deck inserts were undercoated and painted. Blue looked better than the green we'd picked out for the bridge and sleeper.

The inserts all need glueing in position. That'll be done before the handrails go in.

The towing gear detailing is now completed, this was particularly fun to do. It helped to make a small hole to feed the thread into before winding. The 'ropes' have been superglued in a couple of spots so are now fixed in position.

Eye-hooks have been added to join the handrails to the base of the stairs.

Thanks for looking. Have nice weekend all.

davejo90

« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2020, 08:08:33 am »

I love the brass work Phil, I think you've done a fantastic job on that, in fact the whole thing looks great

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2020, 08:05:00 pm »

Phil, why did you go for wooden decks? none of the photos I have seen of the actual tug looked like wood planking to me, and I think it would be unusual on a working vessel of this age and type. It's all looking very good, I must say. Are you going to put an inflatable or RIB tender on yours? I had a few goes at making one but gave up and bought a 3D printed one from Mastman, and plonked it on a bit of framing on the sloping bit just aft of the ensign staff  - looks reasonably like the one in the "in service" photos.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2020, 12:06:30 pm »

Cheers @davejo90 and SteveH for the comments. Yeah, the idea to add a wooden deck is simply because it's how we want to build the boat. I did have a try at putting together a small platform for an inflatable though this was after the vents were made so it looked out of place. Have you done anymore detailing on your Banckert Steve? Add any shots here if you'd like anytime ;)

Having searched on google.nl then using Chrome's translate page option, I've found some great build threads here: https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/
Searches also led to some interesting shots of the Steenbank in Belgian Navy livery at marinetraffic.com

Credit: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:107588/mmsi:205216000/imo:5339743/vessel:STEENBANK

Next job here is to paint the brasswork.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2020, 05:50:11 am »

Hi All,

The majority of the brasswork has now been painted and fitted. The assembly of the superstructure came together in an afternoon as is almost complete. For the mast, there are safely rails, the radar, radar guard and some rigging to do in the next few days. 

It'll be the radio gear installation through winter then painting the hull in spring when the weather gets warmer =)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2020, 06:15:19 am »

With a glass of red close by for those brief stops when waiting for the superglue to bite. The Banckert's simple rigging was another enjoyable stage of the build. The lines themselves are 0.5mm elastic picked up from a sewing shop. Glued under mild tension, the hope is they'll all stay taut.

There's an ensign staff and material flag provided with the kit. Wondering what methods are used by members to:

- stop these types of flags from fraying when cutting?
- how to shape them into a wave?
- how to best attach them to staffs (would the striped portion remain or not)?

Any help is welcome.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2021, 09:03:35 am »

Absolutely essential in all good toolkits! Kindly donated by my GF, it's great for those fine sanding tasks.

This was the method taken with the flag:

- Masked up the material leaving 1mm showing all round
- Applied superglue to the unmasked area to seal it. This changes the colour slightly (becomes a shade lighter)
- The glue provides the rigidity to then cut the flag out from the surround
- Added a spot of glue at the end of each tab. Glued it to the staff at these points and let dry
- Wrapped the flag around the staff then glued to fix

All rails have now been epoxied to the deck section.

The gaps in the rails received some Tamiya putty and were sanded into shape.

Another portion of the deck under the superstructure was removed to give better access to the battery later on.
Some combing will be applied here as a margin.

The lifebelts received a coat of orange, before getting masked to apply a coat of white.
Used small shaped strips of plastic to act as a clamp to affix them to the railings.

davejo90

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:25 am »

It's looking very good Phil.

Not sure but as far as the flag is concerned I think the 3 vertical lines are the part that you would wrap around the pole. I'm sure others will let us know  ;)

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2021, 01:51:32 am »

Hi All,
Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.
After a long and slow recovery from tendonitis finally the Banckert build is able to continue.

The balcony paint booth is working well, I wait for noisy buses to pass by when spraying as not to alarm our landlord.

Going to get a maintenance free prop shaft from Raboesch as there isn't likely the access into the hull for servicing later on. Since putting in the first large bulkhead, the hull doesn't marry up as well with the deck. Further edge shaping and a lot of care will be needed to make a watertight fit, especially at the mid-deck curves. For those tackling this kit its advised to leave a few extra mm of edge material until you're sure of the fitment between the hull and deck.

More updates to follow. Have a good weekend MBM.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2021, 02:26:42 am »

Hi Phil.......that balcony paintbooth must be a bit of a challenge  %) , but progress is good  :-))

Those stern facing red & green navigation lights have me a bit tossed?........I didn't know such were permitted?

I am sure a seasoned Deck Officer will correct me here

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2021, 02:56:58 am »

Hmmm, will have to chalk this one up as a rookie error. Thanks for pointing that out Derek. Google confirms the gaff hahahaha. Oh well no going back now as the epoxy went off about 6 months ago xD, noted for next time.

RST

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2021, 03:45:04 am »

Perhaps Derek could post a pic. of one of his models some time instead of just picking faults in everyone elses.  They must be perfect examples as he is so well versed in all things marine related?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2021, 07:37:09 am »

Iv’e not looked in for quite some time Phil and I’m glad I’ve caught up. Truly sterling work  8) 
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2021, 10:47:22 am »

Looks like Phil took the comment as constructive rather than an insult, I'm inclined to agree with him. Good build Phil.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2021, 12:41:02 pm »

Rear facing nav lights are not only permitted but essential on some tugs. They are only used when the tug is on the stern of the tow and being pulled backwards. They are then facing the correct way, obviously the normal nav lights are not used in this case. The Parat tug I have has basically 2 complete sets of nav lights including the mast lights.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2021, 04:25:13 pm »

Rear facing nav lights are not only permitted but essential on some tugs. They are only used when the tug is on the stern of the tow and being pulled backwards. They are then facing the correct way, obviously the normal nav lights are not used in this case. The Parat tug I have has basically 2 complete sets of nav lights including the mast lights.
Jim

:-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2021, 11:20:06 pm »

Thanks Jim, not suggesting you were the seasoned Deck Officer  :-X .....the Switzer Tugs moored in Kembla when used 4 x on a 100,000 tonner entering or departing port at nights with 1 x tug always used as a stern spring..so must [edit or may] have these stern facing Nav lights?

My comment was certainly not intended as a criticism, just a question and acknowledging someone would correct me O0

I too, have looked at the general Standards for ships Navigation lights.......I have not seen  :o  any references to the exception over the rule, however obviously they must be there...

Derek

PS...a note for Rich.....never fear, I am not a model ship builder and you could certainly be correct as my nautical knowledge could be written on the back of a 10 Penny stamp.....my hobby is Home Cooking of Australian native animals & witchety grubs :P
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2021, 08:24:32 am »

Hi All,

Many thanks for the encouraging comments. It's great to be able to build again.
Cheers @JimG for the information on the navigation lights, very insightful and good to know.

Found the cause of the deck sitting 3mm back toward the stern. The deck mold was fouling on the mid section bulkhead. I can now recall another builder mentioning they needed to trim down the bulkhead.

A dremel was handy in removing the excess ply without stressing the ABS.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2021, 11:47:31 am »

Thanks Jim, not suggesting you were the seasoned Deck Officer  :-X .....the Switzer Tugs moored in Kembla when used 4 x on a 100,000 tonner entering or departing port at nights with 1 x tug always used as a stern spring..so must [edit or may] have these stern facing Nav lights?

Derek
Derek I can make no claim to any professional experience at sea just what I have learned in over 40 years as a modeller. (My grandfather did sail on sailing coasters as I believe a ships carpenter.) I based my comment on information I had previously found when trying to find out why the Parat had two sets of nav lights. The Parat has no towing gear forward so if at the stern of a tow would have to be towed backwards.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.