Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Funnel shop drawings  (Read 2334 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Blue Funnel shop drawings
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:15:51 pm »

I am looking to purchase a set of drawings for an H class ship of the Blue Funnel line. I believe there were four of these ships built of the class; Helenus, Hector, Ixion and.....??
Anyone know of any drawings or if such appeared in the magazine, Model Shipwright or similar.

Toby

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Blue Funnel shop drawings
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »

Sarik Hobbies offer plans of Hector MM1142 from the Model Boats range. Good enough for a decent model.

Colin

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:44 pm »

I understand there are line drawings and General Arrangement drawings in Liverpool Maritime Museum. Helenus was the first Blueys I visited. My grammar school adopted it. I went on a school trip to see her. Joined AH 3 years later. Sailed on Ixion shortly before she was scrapped. LP turbine blanked off.
Jerry

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »

I am looking to purchase a set of drawings for an H class ship of the Blue Funnel line. I believe there were four of these ships built of the class; Helenus, Hector, Ixion and.....??
Anyone know of any drawings or if such appeared in the magazine, Model Shipwright or similar.

Toby

The Jason was the one were unable to remember.

The first three were built at Harland & Wolff at Belfast so you might be able to find some drawings in the Ulster Museum or at least they will be able to point you in the right direction. The Jason was built at Swan Hunters and I'm pretty sure that the Newcastle Museum has drawings of the ship.

LB 

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:58 am »

Colin
Thank you for that information. I have just arrived home having been on a ferry crossing and so will check that in the morning
Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:26:49 am »

Thank you LB

I will 'phone the Ulster in the morning.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:10 am »

Jerry

Fascinated that you have been involved with these ships. I will ascertain what the maritime at Liverpool has available. I have to go to Liverpool sometime as I am also building the Lara 1 barge crane which is based there.
Thanks for your help and suggestion.
Toby

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:52:53 am »

Yes, I served my apprenticeship with Blue Flue. 13 years with them. A wonderful company to work for. But then came the crash and they went the same way as all good things. Should yo make your model here’s a few we’ll chosen words to keep you going, written by a shipmate.

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Another masterpiece by shipmate Steven Woolley describing what it was to be a small part of the finest shipping company ever. [/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]I'm sure that most members will agree with me if I suggest that it can only be the crew that makes for a happy ship or a memorable trip, but in our case there was always something else, something almost impossible to describe, a feeling of being part of something special. I only ever sailed with Blue Funnel,as part of Ocean Fleets so I can't say if seafarers of other companies feel,or felt the same way about their ships but there appears to be no doubt that Blue Funnel ships are remembered with great affection and fondness and revered worldwide within shipping circles. I follow a few other Merchant Navy groups and comments relating to BF are always very complementary, even extending to envy sometimes from guys not fortunate enough to have sailed with our once great company. So what made Blue Funnel  [/font][/color][/font][/size]and the ships themselves so special????..... Was it simply those fantastic names? Agamemnon, Achillies, Prometheus, Protesilaus!..... Names of legend, names to inspire! Was it that glorious funnel? ... Simply two colours..., surely not and I'm sure Blue Star and other household names of the time were equally proud of their distinctive funnel designs too! Was it that lovely unique hull profile of the China Boats, especially when fully laden,.... Was it the ports of call?? ... Not necessarily - many other companies traded in the Far East also. Don't think it was the money, I'm sure it was no more than what others paid. Was it the way we were looked after by the company, or was it the food. I don't know what it was but I remember the immense pride I felt when I climbed up that gangway for the very first time and looked up in awe at that famous funnel, a symbol of a rich British and Oriental history, one that had provided a livelihood for thousands of seafarers and their families for over a hundred years. I was just a kid, I was nervous, anxious, apprehensive, would I measure up to the exacting standards of the great Alfred Holt, his ships were the best and they expected the best! Despite the nerves the feeling of excitement and anticipation was overwhelming. She was made from cold hard steel but somehow she was warm and alive. Surely this pulsating, noisy living creature could not be man made. I felt strangely humbled as I boarded, insignificant even, this magnificent, proud looking, slightly aloof old lady had been to the Far East and back 49 times, starting before I was even born! I was filled with awe and respect, she had seen it all and I was just a junior middie - how dare I even consider myself as part of her crew? The cargo winches screamed, wires strained under load, men busy at work everywhere, the noise, the smells, I now knew the true meaning of the expression " organised chaos", she didn't even notice my/ our arrival, simply carried on working as if we weren't there, we were just tiny cogs in a well oiled machine, but she was reassuring and welcoming and we soon felt part of something very special. Even my dad, who believe it or not was Peggy on the Queen Elizabeth during the war and a Cunarder through and through was proud as punch the day I joined the best shipping company in the world. Romantic, nostalgic ramblings and perhaps viewed through slightly rose tinted spectacles I suppose, but a very, very special and rewarding part of my life, and one which I hadn't really thought about much for nearly forty years until recently. A brief but wonderful trip down memory lane is now part of my daily routine thanks to this fine site, which serves as a constant reminder to me how fortunate I was to have been part of and to have experienced the rewards of travelling the world with such an illustrious and much loved company.
[font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]Best of luck[/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]Jerry[/font][/color][/font][/size]

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:17:22 am »

Jerry C

Thank you again for furthering this topic with interest and[size=78%] for sharing that delightfully written commentary. [/size]

Not having had any experience as a mariner does make my model building more difficult when it comes to details and function of some deck items and trying to make them realistic on the model. The lack of photographs aboard ship even when being built is a great oversight on someone's part.

😁 I blame those sailors who never thought of taking photographs for future model makers. With all the easy way life and all the time they had on their hands they could have recorded such valuable information😁

Ps
I collect postcards showing the maritime artwork of Odin Rosenvinge but alas not one example of a Blue Funnel ship do I have in the collection.  Cunard, Anchor, Shaw Savil, Allan, Ellerman, Nelson, Elder Dempster, Booth and Furness....... no Blue Funnel. Whether it is because I have not found a copy to buy or that Rosenvinge was not commissioned to paint anything for the company advertising, I do not know. 

Thanks again

Toby

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:39:40 am »

We had better things to do than take pics of dirty decks. I’ve had a look through all my BF pics of ships for deck stuff that you could use but really only got pics of ships.
I did find this though. Any night in Bugi Street Singapore, the dance of the flaming Rsoles!

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:53:31 pm »

I’ve found some more pics of probably more use to you. I’ll gather them in a folder and get them to you somehow. Posting pics on here is a pain. Probably best by PM. I’ll get back to you.
Jerry.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:04 pm »

Thank you again for furthering this topic with interest and[size=78%] for sharing that delightfully written commentary. [/size]

Not having had any experience as a mariner does make my model building more difficult when it comes to details and function of some deck items and trying to make them realistic on the model. The lack of photographs aboard ship even when being built is a great oversight on someone's part.

😁 I blame those sailors who never thought of taking photographs for future model makers. With all the easy way life and all the time they had on their hands they could have recorded such valuable information😁

One of my neighbours joined Blueies around 1938 as a engineer rising to Chief in the fifties. He used to tell me about the sights in China at that time and what was floating in the Yangze. Most of his war years where spent on the 1930 Ajax, he never experienced any real action throughout the war even though the ship was in most of the major convoy's. My point though is, that during that time he photographed virtually everything on the ship he was on. He did once show me an album of small prints from this period, I asked him "well Jock where's the negs", his reply was "what do won't those for? They just got in the way so I burnt them....." Through my tears of frustration I said "way on earth did you do that? He just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

If you wont detail pictures of the deck fittings of these them I suggest that you visit Liverpool Maritime Museum as they have or had on display on of the "P" class of that period and were virtually the same ships as the "H" class. 

Thanks again

Toby
[/quote]

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 01:19:58 pm »

Jerry

Amazing what persons consider to be in the way.  What an archive that would have been. What happened to his album?

So that is what sailors get up to when out of an evening! Someone had a camera though!

I would be glad of images you have. I well and you my email.

Toby
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.