Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Rorqual bulkhead drawings wanted  (Read 6528 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Vic Smeed Rorqual bulkhead drawings wanted
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:29 pm »

Hi, I am hoping to build a mini version of Rorqual, I built the full size model many years ago, with a merco 61 in it. Sadly it and the plan are long gone so I want to draw up my mini sized plan as close to original proportions as possible. I have a fairly decent side view so could manage with either bulkhead drawings or a decent top view or both if possible. Many thanks in advance, Andy.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: Vic Smeed Rorqual bulkhead drawings wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:01 am »

Hi Andy, if you pm me your email address I think I have just what you need.
Chas

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:49 am »

Would this do? I've traced it full-size in CorelDraw and also have a PDF copy of that tracing - that's if Chas doesn't have what you need anyway.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:36:48 am »

Hi Dave, almost the same thing as I was going to send, saves me a little job.
Chas

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:43:00 pm »

Hi , thats perfect, and very quick, thanks very much. Do you have the rest of the text by any chance? Not critical that I have it, but would be interesting read. I built mine from the plan without seeing this article. I will try and look out photos of mine to put on here. Thanks again, Andy.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:00:40 pm »

PM sent.
DM

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »

Hi DM, PM sent. AM. Lol.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 05:52:42 pm »

AM
JPG, CDR and PDF sent.
OK?
DM

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »

Amazing, thanks very much. When I built mine, I had no idea that they hadnt built the model before releasing the plan. Turned out to be very good, even with a heavy merco 61 in it. Wasnt through choice, it was only marine motor I had.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 10:22:15 pm »

Here are some old pics of my rorqual. The photo of me holding it up is to drain water out after it sank in 6 feet of water.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 01:01:52 pm »

Hi, here is my mini rorqual build, 15 1/4 inches long, couple of small changes to suit this size of model, mostly to front end of hatch/top at the front.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 03:31:58 pm »

I thought I should update on progress of rorqual. Several coats of paint later, I dont know whether to leave it 'leftover' yellow or do a different scheme. Tons of room inside for radio and motor, just have to decide what is going in it. I have several options,  I will report further as it progresses.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 03:16:33 am »

I haven't done anything to rorqual for a while, I have been busy with rtr models recently, with impressive results. I have been using my Toyabi T03, two of my friends have one of these each as well. Amazing value for money. I describe these in more detail in my post, 23cm cabin cruiser.
I have also been using my Heng Long Atlantic Yacht, also good value for the money and ripe for upgrading if desired. The boat as it comes out the box is good, decent battery life from provided 2000mah pack, a 4400 li ion (18650 cells) pack ran for ages.
Rorqual project will get some attention soon, at least the paint will be well hardened for a final sand and coat of paint. I hope to get some pics of progress soon.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »

I took Rorqual for a test float, partly to spur me on to get radio gear installed and also just to see it in the water for the first time. It is an amazing shape, very unusual, but it works.
 Being made from balsa, it is very light and should go well once I get the radio and motor, etc in and finally finish it.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:20 pm »

After searching everywhere possible, I couldnt find the inner propshaft for this boat, so I ordered another one, they only had longer ones so it was cut down a bit.
  My homemade shaft coupling requires a strip of 11mm wide insulation tape to be wound onto the propshaft to take it to the right diameter. The motor and gearbox are from a Wltoys v262 quadcopter. I wanted to try this setup first, just as a matter of interest. They drive 8 inch props on the quadcopters, my Rorqual prop is 30mm, shouldnt strain it, I hope.
  Radio and motor are hotglued in place, in case the motor doesnt cope and I have to swap it for something else. Hotglue is far stronger than required but the components can be eased off if required.
 Radio gear is 9g steering servo, 20a brushed esc, 27mhz 2ch radio, (vintage) . Lol
 Bath tests indicate it should go fairly fast, takes off from a standing start pretty quick. Doesnt sit very low in the water, so still quite light. Finally finished, apart from maybe some paint, but I quite like the all yellow scheme.
 I might add a couple of little magnets to hold the lid (or superstructure) on.
 No idea when I will get to test it in open water, just been snowing here so not looking promising.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 05:52:02 pm »

I have now tested Rorqual, shown next to my Starlet yacht. The 27mhz radio was glitching really badly, I might try different tx or rx as I have a few old sets.
Anyway, radio issues asside, the test showed that the rudder was very good but the small quadcopter motor and gearbox is not as powerful as I had hoped. Still moves it about but not in keeping with the racy looks of the Rorqual. Once I get the radio issue sorted, I will give it another go with the quad motor setup, in case I wasnt getting full throttle. I have a few bigger motors I can try if it turns out the quad motor setup is actually too low powered.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:06 pm »

It turned out to be the sanwa transmitter that caused the major glitching problem. Swapping to an acoms transmitter cured the problem, so next venture down the river will be for a decent test. I am quite sure the model is underpowered with the quadcopter setup, but I will verify this next time I get it floating.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 09:25:35 am »

Fit a small bruishless outrunner. Makes all the difference.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 12:14:36 pm »

I did think about brushless, but I only have aircraft motors and speed controls, so no reverse. As I use my boats in the local river, it is pretty essential to have reverse. I will see what I can come up with though.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 01:06:05 pm »

Just use blheil-s or blheli32 esc's, they can be configured to work in reverse, and they're cheap and small.

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAKRC-BLHeli-32-Bit-35A-2-5S-ESC-Built-in-LED-Support-Dshot1200-Multishot-for-RC-/264970532842

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 05:30:18 pm »

Hi, having spent all of my modelling budget on bits for my electric bike, I really have to make do with what I have already. I do have a brushless esc, but it was making the motor kind of stutter and get warm pretty quick, so I figured there was a problem and set it aside. I will do more testing and see if I can get it working properly. My latest projects are being built from what I have in stock, its good to use up some of my odd shaped scraps.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:17 pm »

I discovered that the problem with my brushless motor and esc was because I tested them on the glitchy radio gear in the Rorqual, now I have changed to a different transmitter, they seem to be working fine, just need to come up with a propshaft coupling of a suitable size, I have one suited for the brushless motor shaft, but the other end is for a 4mm plain shaft, over 2mm bigger than the shaft in the Rorqual. I need to find something with the right inside and outside diameter to make a bush for the grubscrew to nip onto.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 11:00:23 am »

I drilled a 1.7mm hole up the centre of a 4mm brass rod to make an adaptor for my coupling, the brass rod was held in a vice, I managed it but also managed to break the drill and followed through into my pinkie nail. I didnt think it had gone through the nail, then it started oozing blood, then getting more painful. Not my worst injury but pretty sore.
 Anyway, I managed to make my tiny adaptor, not sure if the coupling grub screw will nip it onto the propshaft or if it will have to be soldered onto the propshaft. I would rather it wasnt soldered on, then I can move the coupler between different boats.
There doesnt appear to be any 1.7mm propshaft to 3.2mm motor couplings out there. Anyone know of a source?
I have broken the drill so I cant make another adaptor at the moment, dont really fancy risking another hole in my finger anyway.
  It was a bit of luck that I managed to get the hole running up the centre of the adaptor anyway while drilling it by eye.
 Hopefully the one I have made will work and be able to be moved to different boats.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 02:12:16 pm »

I found another drill to make more adaptor sleeves. For accuracy and to avoid any more finger damage, this time I dug my home made lathe out and made another 4 of them for my other propshafts as I had to solder the first one onto the propshaft to stop it just spinning as the grubscrew on the coupling wasnt nipping the adaptor piece onto the shaft. This was definately what I should have done first time, I managed to avoid any injuries using the lathe.
 I kind of forget that I have it, it is behind a pile of stuff in my shed and doesnt get used much, last job I did on it was alloy wheels for my race cars.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 08:42:34 pm »

After a test of the Rorqual with a non glitchy radio setup, I found that it is definately underpowered, the quadcopter motor and gearbox would probably be fine for a cabin cruiser type model, but Rorqual has a speedy look to it, so it is definately getting a brushless motor. I also found that my non glitchy set of 27mhz radio gear isnt as non glitchy as I thought, probably because the receiver aerial was coiled up in the boat. I have decided I will use 2.4ghz radio instead as the comparatively short aerials are easier to fit in, and I have never had glitches with the 2.4ghz set. This should transform the Rorqual into a fast little boat. I will be running the brushless on 3 cells.
 Pic shows one of my adapters soldered on the shaft, ready for motor fitting. I only have one coupling so it will need to be removed from my Edita motor cruiser (yacht?)  I have made a 1/8 liteply motor mount but it wont be glued in till I fit the motor and run it at low speed to fine tune the alignment.
 I was hoping to get more done on the boats today but I had my first covid jab this morning and its knocked the wind out of my sails a bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.