Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin Propeller Rotation  (Read 7170 times)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Twin Propeller Rotation
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 02:56:17 pm »

Thank you - I didnt know that.  Problem is brass are £16 plastic are about £4, thought I should see how good the plastic are in comparison
2 Blade type

N.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 08:59:44 am »

So, getting back to the original question, does it really impact on the running of the boat if I use two props both running in same direction?
N

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 11:38:47 am »

On our 1/12 CMB torpedo boat we have our props turning in the same direction and even with the rudders trimmed fully to counter the turning motion it still drifts off in that direction. Obviously it turns tighter in the direction of the props too.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 12:01:43 pm »

I have a small (24 inch loa) Frigate with 30mm props both turning in the same direction. At that size I have not noticed any steering problem. However, Vic Smeed had included a gear box, in his design, to reverse one of the props if using a single motor. Obviously he thought it might be a problem.
Don't Assume Check

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 12:08:54 pm »

I don't have a direct comparison but can it be any different to a single prop similar model?
The vast majority of model boats are after all single prop.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »

well I can relate, when on a full sized boat on the broads, I was going down a shallow section (2 foot depth of water) and every now and then the back end of the boat walked itself to the right as the prop found some mud and walked itself to the right.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 02:37:18 pm »

A single prop, or twins turning the same rotation should produce little prop walk effect going ahead.  It's noticeable in many boats going astern, since the prop wash does not flow over the rudder(s).  Prop walk (in reverse) is not as bad in longer boats with long keels or small props.  Au contraire, short stubby boats with no keels (Springers) just wander where they want to in reverse.

To illustrate further what I said in my earlier post: Imagine wanting to spin a boat with 2 outward turning props in its length to port.  Put the rudder partway to the left and starboard engine ahead, port astern.  Now both props are turning clockwise (as seen from astern), so the bottom blades are moving to the left, pushing more water to the left, and moving the stern to the right (PROP WALK).  This adds to the force of the starboard engine pushing water against its rudder while the port engine's main thrust is pulling the boat around to the left.

If the props were set up to spin inward, the prop walk goes against the desired spin of the boat to port.

Prop walk can be used in close in maneuvering, as in docking.  Take a single screw, left hand prop boat.  Approaching a dock on the starboard side at a small angle, as the boat nears the dock, give the engine a small bump astern and watch the prop walk snug the stern to the right and into the dock.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 08:32:01 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:51 am »

hi there
very short video of the RTTL running at high speed in slow motion - if you watch - you will see how the torque of the motors turning in the same direction tend to make the hull dive into the water.  This was renowned on the real boats and also is why Vosper added an extra layer of planking to the hull :

So, in general, having 2 high speed props turning in the same direction, will definitely have an effect on steerage :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNveRCGPMCw

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2019, 03:31:21 pm »

Martin, great video explaining all this.  :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.