Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Be careful with lathes  (Read 1788 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Be careful with lathes
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:51:22 pm »

My friend was turning some nylon on his lathe and I thought I would lift away some of the swarf so he could see the job better. Big mistake, even my dog was shocked. Luckily it only split my nail and some flesh damage, it could just as easily have ripped my finger off so I consider myself very lucky.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Be careful with lathes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »

yes actually seeing the jaws of the chuck holding the work can be tricky, and there is a lot of momentum in them, been there - done that.
I am still bearing the marks left by a 10mm square stainless plate that came out of the vice when drilling a 0.8mm hole in it, it came out and spun around on the drill bit, attacking my finger en route.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:38:25 pm »

Always be wary of swarf as it can cut as well as tear especially metal. On the big lathes, steels machined are also flippin hot as testified by the pretty blue colour they go as they are parted. The only benefit there is that the wound will probably be cauterised as it is cut :(

Get well soon Andy, we all make mistakes sometimes despite trying to plan for them.
Pond weed is your enemy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:02:47 pm »

Hi, all healed now, took a while for the area to become 'untender' certainly taught me a lesson tho.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 08:51:32 pm »

Had a couple of wounds from commercial multi head lathes as a youth. That stuff is like shrapnel, rough hooked edges that grip the flesh well. That dog does look shocked lol.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.