Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8 scratch build porsche 904  (Read 2063 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1/8 scratch build porsche 904
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:41:46 pm »

Hi all well move went well new job is going well and I have negotiated a modelling area (well when we don't have guests that is) so gulp I've jumped in to try this scratch build, ive managed to find some profile drawings of the body so I've copied them onto paper and glued it to this ply wood.

I'm hoping to make a former from this as a rough starting point. I'm expecting this to be  a long build, somewhere between 3 and 60 years (but that's just an approximate guess could be much longer ;)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/8 scratch build porsche 904
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 08:27:43 pm »

Well first lesson learned I tried to made a cylinder head and bought card stock of the correct thickness and cut out 15 cylinder bits and 17 fins then glued them together after which they should have measured 10.25 mm well after gluing 10 of the fins together it measured 13 mm so I thought I will compress them in my vice trouble with that was it compressed the cylinder bits but not the fins and ended up looking like this

Instead of how it should look. I can only assume the extra thickness was due to the glue so I think I will have to experiment with different thicknesses.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:30:41 am »

The cardstock may have swelled due to the moisture in the glue. You could try controlling this with with compression until the glue is extra dry, but you will also need to allow for some 'rebound' in the card stock when you release the compression. I.E. you will need to compress to smaller than you need. This could be uncontrollable.
An alternative would be to use plastic card, and still allow for a thickness of glue.

You may have already planned to do this. I would make an assembly jig. Drill holes in precise locations (using a jig) in the card, and mount pins in an assembly jig. Slide the drilled card over the pins to keep everything aligned. Sorry if I am teaching you how to suck eggs.

Another option would be to take the cylinder head to be scanned and 3D printed to scale.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:14:10 am »

Thanks for all the info mate (I had thought to try plasticard next) i like the idea of a jig (There are 8 of these to make not to mention the cylinders as well)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:57:08 am »

Superb Ken! Your modelling is going from strength to strength, so pleased you are pushing your boundaries and trying stuff. I can only echo what TT has said, the moisture has swelled the card, platicard or 3D would work better.

Glad the move went well and your new job is working out also, take care mate.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.