Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart charger failing batteries  (Read 1629 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Smart charger failing batteries
« on: June 17, 2019, 07:21:07 pm »

Hi all I am using a VTE500PH Vapex smart charger, and very good it is too.  I was looking out some 4.8volt Rx. packs that had not been in use for a while and put them on charge.  I had 4 packs all failed with flashing 4 reds then 4 green LEDs.  This is signalled as a Short.

After some investigation I found that by applying a non intelligent charger in my case switched to 6 volts,I got the battery started up again with a partial charge, only 10 minutes or so. Then the smart charger was able to fully charge them up, so no failures.

Hope this helps if anyone has discarded any suspect battery packs.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Smart charger failing batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:32 am »

Smart chargers can only work smartly with batteries that give results that they expect.  Presented with a battery out of expected parameters, its logic, to be safe, has to assume that the battery is either not a battery, or is broken beyond redemption, and refuse to play.  Dumb chargers that don't really care whether they are presented with a battery or a light bulb have their uses.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:59:05 am »

Hi all, done it again brute force and applied thought still works.  Found a 9.6 volt pack not used for 10 years to my knowledge.  The Intelligent charger refused!  Put them on a dumb 12 SLA battery charger for 20 mins and the smart charger then was happy!
Another pack resurrected.
regards
Roy

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 12:22:05 pm »

Hi All

I had a Lipo battery which showed failure, so disconnected the smart lead and charge the battery for about 10 minutes.

Turn off the charger and reconnected the smart lead and the battery charged as per normal.

Canabus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.