Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milford Star Question  (Read 2667 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Milford Star Question
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:50:50 pm »

Can anyone confirm the depth of the bulwark from capping to deck on the Caldercraft model of Milford Star. I ask because on the drawing the washports are low down and would technically be partially be below deck level which is a nonsense. I looked at the build on this forum and noted someone had placed the wash ports high up in the plate of the bulwark.

Have I,  and perhaps others, the deck too high. I am beginning to wonder?

Toby

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Milford Star Question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:34 pm »

Fishing boats freeing ports are right down at the deck to allow maximum flow off the deck
http://www.llangibby.eclipse.co.uk/milfordtrawlers/accidents%20&%20incidents/haven_star.htm ( sister trawler )The rib line the freeing ports are on is the line of the deck

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:12:24 pm »

The bottom of the freeing ports certainly needs to be at deck level (or they wouldn't work).

I know that with some kits with GRP moulded hulls it is not always obvious that you need to trim the top edge down a bit before fitting the deck. This is one reason why the deck may be too high. Normally bulwarks would be around 4 feet high although it may be different for fishing craft (perhaps someone could confirm) so at 1:48 scale that would be one inch.

Alternatively the drawing may not be to scale or incorrect. A lot of kits of this vintage were not supplied with full scale drawings to discourage illegal copying (before the digital era). The drawings simply served to show the positioning of the fittings etc. I don't know if the Milford Star drawings have been updated, I suspect not.

A third possibility is that some of the kit parts are not 100% correct in fit. This was the case (and may still be) with Imara and Talacre. In the latter case the bridge is actually back to front and has never been corrected!

There are plenty of photos of Milford Star online if you Google the name and examination of these may help you work out what is what!
As a final comment, some kits are actually not to scale for commercial or manufacturing reasons. I built Caldercraft's Cumbrae pilot vessel when it first came out. It went together well and still looks good on the water. It was some time after I completed it that I discovered that the manufacturer had added a significant amount to the beam - presumably to assist stability.

Colin

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 06:51:28 pm »

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Deck ripped out and after tea will be replaced 1/2" lower. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. Hey ho!

What stopped the freeing ports from banging each time when they closed?

Toby

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 02:26:38 pm »

nothing !!! but normally in the type of weather that would have them banging the water would be up above the bottom of the lip on the outside so there was a water cushion effect which kept the noise down....
Also some of these were a vertical plate held up with a chain you could adjust ( plate sat in 2 [ shaped runs one either side to stop it moving inboard ) so no problem with those , also virtually all boats had smaller oval shaped freeing ports without a cover along the deck edge normally aft of the winch position , how many of them depended on the design of the boat and to some extent the year it was built as designs changed over time and later with the diesel boats government regulations on ship design started to have a larger effect
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 03:14:38 pm »

Most of the ports were above the fishroom
so any banging wouldn't wake the fish
already iced away :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 04:04:33 pm »

Thank you Davie and thank you Ned for the info and the humour. Good to know that fishermen regardless of the weather had such concern for the peace and comfort of the sleeping fish. 😁 :}

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:52 pm »

I note that there seem to be no bulwark supports. Anyone know the type and spacing. Anyone have an accurate image of the funnel insignia which essentially appears to be a white flag  with a blue cross. Not sure if the flagpole in the design is white too. Is this the funnel colours of the Edgar Carter Company. Can't find images for this online.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:15:44 pm »

Deck and wash ports done. Riveting of hull almost complete. Waterline line marked out and superstructure underway.

Can anyone advise of the type of supports and their spacing and whether these would be riveted to the bulwark all the way down or just at the top and to the deck.

I Notre the flag on the funnel is white with a blue diagonal cross. What does this flag represent for I don't seem able to find reference to it even when looking up Milford trawler companies of the period. Anyone have an accurate image of the emblem?

Toby

I found that mixing Humbrol Matt paint 70(brick red[Brown]) 153 red and 24 yellow produced an oxide colour to use on the hull and deck. Stirring the paint on the tinlets before using. Approx 1:1:1/3

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:51 am »

Humbrol 100 is probably better colour depending on preference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.