Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: propeller size  (Read 3183 times)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
propeller size
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:31:58 pm »

Im looking for two propellers 40 to 45mm size M4 thread for my seaplane. 41 inch long.
I cant make out what Im looking at on the Propshop site - I just cant find a prop (under Gen purpose) amongst their lists
Anyone point me to one please.
N

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: propeller size
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:36:05 pm »

They are sized in inches followed by pitch angle. Of course number of blades too.
Best thing to do is ask Simon via the contact form.
He knows the codes are confusing to most including me but just does not have the time to change it
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:41:36 pm »

I know people rave about Prop Shop propellers and they are indeed very good. However Raboesch also do a wide variety of styles and sizes and you might be hard put to tell the difference. You can check them out on the Cornwall Model Boats website and elsewhere.

Unless you really, really must have a Prop Shop prop then I would personally go for Raboesch myself. You will get them a lot quicker too!

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:05 pm »

To be frank the prop shop website does protean no favours at all.
I never understood why it is so complicated to plain old simple model boat builders like myself. The blade pitch angle is also not required IMHO, it is what it is.

A mm to inch conversion site like this is usefull
https://www.convertunits.com/from/mm/to/inches

Roebesch ? NOT  {-)  .....or is it?

Best just to order the catalogue for £2 then its plain sailing

ANDY

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 07:48:08 pm »

I do agree! Pitch angle is unmeasurable for me , complicating the issue for no reason!
N

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:53:24 pm »

Phone numbers on last picture. Probably best to just call Simon directly and he uses WhatsApp too
ANDY

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:35 pm »

Thank you Andy I might call them this week. Their prices look comparable to other suppliers which is to their credit.
Such a vast number of props cant believe they can all sell? Made to order I suppose?
N

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »

Thank you Andy I might call them this week. Their prices look comparable to other suppliers which is to their credit.
Such a vast number of props cant believe they can all sell? Made to order I suppose?
N
He has lots of stock of common regular props, I don't anticipate you will have a wait.
ANDY

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 11:16:54 am »

I do agree! Pitch angle is unmeasurable for me , complicating the issue for no reason!
N
I am afraid that I regard pitch angle as just as important as the number of blades. I would very much regret dumbing down to remove it.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:40 am »

He's been selling these same props for years so they are all proven without needing to know the blade angle. It's not like we can change it is it? or am I missing something  %%  other than fine or course
ANDY

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »

Just spoken to Prop shop/Protean , they recommended a 35mm 1.4 pitch is that? LH & RH off the shelf and in the post today.
Pretty helpful and concise with no doubt about the size.
Sorted.
N                               

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:25 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:33 pm »

He's been selling these same props for years so they are all proven without needing to know the blade angle. It's not like we can change it is it? or am I missing something  %%  other than fine or course
If you are an expert on any topic you don't need a lot of the information that is supplied for the less expert.
I note that most Prop Shop 2inch props have a 2.2in (55mm) pitch for a 2in prop but that a 2inch (50mm) Raboesch prop has 52mm pitch (type A) or 44.5mm (type D). A Graupner 3 blade 50mm plastic prop has a pitch of 26mm.
I find it useful to be reminded of what I am buying.
We were looking for some small plastic props for some youngsters & were offered British made plastic props but neither the dealer nor manufacturer could tell us what pitch they were. So frustrating!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:54 pm »

Good result best to speak directly  :-)
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 12:35:37 am »

"pitch angle"????....if they recommended a 35mm 1.4 pitch ....

Is the diameter not 35mm and the pitch [d x 1.4]?....so the propeller as a ratio is 35 x 49?

Propeller pitch of 1.3 to 1.5 [d] are common for low RPM steam engines ...

X or Z style propellers are also designations for high speed - high powered engines......these have I believe up to d x 2 ......

[Galileo, http://solar-center.stanford.edu/galileo/, used and measured the rotation or pitch of movement of components in his inventions 100's of years ago] 

If a Dealer or Manufacturer could not confirm the propeller pitch is .....go to another shop .....obviously they don't understand their product

Derek

PS.....there is also another thread here on the same subject..
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63180.msg667850.html#msg667850
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:03:00 am »

Knowing your props pitch is more important than knowing your diameter. The difference in load between a 1.4 and 1.6 prop is enough to cause you significant issues with motor heat and esc loading. It also with an electric boat is the main decider of how your boat will perform - a tug with too much pitch would be rubbish, likewise a fast scale boat with not enough of it.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:46:09 pm »

Knowing your props pitch is more important than knowing your diameter. The difference in load between a 1.4 and 1.6 prop is enough to cause you significant issues with motor heat and esc loading. It also with an electric boat is the main decider of how your boat will perform - a tug with too much pitch would be rubbish, likewise a fast scale boat with not enough of it.

[/quote
Ok, So I know the Diameter now 35mm and I know the pitch 1.4. What does this number tell me?  This is what I need to know in order to select a suitable prop for the boat.
Prop shop said I need RPM's as Im using  smallish brushless twin motors. Not power.
N

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 02:32:56 pm »

Quote     "Ok, So I know the Diameter now 35mm and I know the pitch 1.4. What does this number tell me?  This is what I need to know in order to select a suitable prop for the boat.
Prop shop said I need RPM's as Im using  smallish brushless twin motors. Not power." Quote

It tells me that you haven't given enough information for me to comment much. The important thing about a power system is to think of it as a whole and not as a series of separate parts. To give significant thoughts we need to know the type, size & weight of the model together with the size & kv of the motor and the batteries used together with the prop details that you have given except that you haven't told us about the number of blades nor the type of prop surface piercing v sub surface etc. We need to know what level of performance you are looking for. Slow progress around a lake is wholly different to planing nicely and again wholly different to blasting around like a possessed demon.

In general a 35mm diameter 1.4in pitch prop is, as Propshop have said, suitable for a planing hull type of model which requires a small column of water moving quickly rather that a slower model which might require a larger column of water moving much slower.

If you are looking for a prop recommendation we need as much of the rest of the information as possible. If you want a recommendation for a complete power train then we need more detail of the model that it will power. I am afraid that a 41in long seaplane is not a description that works in my brain.

This is not me being awkward but rather needing as much information as possible in order to make sensible comment.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 03:09:56 pm »

I am afraid that a 41in long seaplane is not a description that works in my brain.

Seaplane Tender springs to mind.
Very light and not a lot of beam
and reasonably quick.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

An Ekranoplan or a very large Martin Mars springs to my mind which amply demonstrates the possible confusion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.