Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultra-cheap smoker  (Read 8115 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Ultra-cheap smoker
« on: June 20, 2019, 05:48:32 pm »

I built this today from a bit of scrap plasticard, a dounhnut ultrasonic vaporiser and a minifan - all works off USB - total cost £2.50.
I'm quite pleased with the result...   :-))

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ultra-cheap smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 06:30:18 pm »

Very nice,
Being somewhat dense when it comes to anything electricery, can you show us what and where things go to make one please, and where to buy the bits.
Yours runs off a USB, so is that 3 volts?.

Regards,

Len.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 06:39:55 pm »

Also very interested especially looking for proportional control and mucky smoke( Diesel )
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:00:11 pm »

Hi Len I have a few and am sure there 5volt so could run off the bec.
               Regards Howard.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »

Cheers   links are for identical items but you need to look for the better prices.

I've got a parallel circuit in the boat that has a DC-DC converter that takes anything from 4-40v i/p and it has USB (5V) output with an LED voltmeter built in - 99p for 4.   This feeds a 4-way USB hub which powers everything. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blesiya-DC-DC-LED-On-board-Power-Supply-Power-Supply-Module-5V-USB-Charging/253586901913?hash=item3b0af50b99:g:dkAAAOSwHnJb5czr

The Vaporiser is a USB doughnut shaped one from Ebay China - less than £2  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donut-Shaped-Air-Purifier-Aroma-Diffuser-USB-Office-Desktop-Humidifier-NEW/183779383511?hash=item2aca1ad8d7:m:mPNQ3ywpjPnFxvm8lPxQmWw

The fan is a USB 40mm fan, again from China - 99p for 2.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-DC-5V-USB-power-4cm-40mm-40x40x10mm-4010S-Brushless-Cooling-cooler-Fan-New/273787707246?hash=item3fbf04df6e:g:b6kAAOSw0UdXtX5N&frcectupt=true

I've got a load of different batteries that fit in my boats with different voltages so everything is compatible with everything else.  USB powers all the extras like lights and the smoker.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-5V-2835-12SMD-20CM-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-Bar-TV-Back-Lighting-Kit/362422935885?hash=item546217214d:g:VfIAAOSwYlZbg~NZ&frcectupt=true

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:48 pm »

Very nice,
Being somewhat dense when it comes to anything electricery, can you show us what and where things go to make one please, and where to buy the bits.
Yours runs off a USB, so is that 3 volts?.

Regards,

Len.
The standard voltage you can expect to find on the power lines of anything USB (those handy sockets that everything that plugs into your PC through these days) is 5 volts.  The various versions of USB (original USB, white plug tabs, USB2 black, USB3 blue) can supply different levels of current, but all at 5 volts.  Because terminating is a fiddly and error prone job, USB leads are best bought ready to use, the main problem is figuring out which actual plug you want on the ends of the wire.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 05:29:13 am »

Because terminating is a fiddly and error prone job, USB leads are best bought ready to use, the main problem is figuring out which actual plug you want on the ends of the wire.

That's the whole point - it all comes ready wired so no soldering or mucking about - it's modular so easy to build & fix. 

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 08:38:57 am »

Brilliant!  :-))

I notice that the smoke unit that you link is rated at 0.3W but that there is another (link below) that is rated at 2W & costs £1.89. Whether this means that it produces nearly 7 times as much smoke is open to wild speculation.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cars-Home-USB-Mini-UFO-Shapes-Humidifier-Air-Diffuser-Aroma-Mist-Make/264344100058?hash=item3d8c22dcda:m:mpKq5pd24QOtZsbrbwo8p9w

Do you have any thoughts on this?

How much water do they actually vaporize - how big a tank do you need?

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 08:41:49 am »

Congrats plastic, simple and really effective. I've ordered 2 misters, one to use, and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long.
 I presume you have a water reservoir in the bottom of yours, how much does it hold?
Chas

RST

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:04:08 am »

Anyone ever found a UK supplier for the ultrasonic units yet?  The small ones all seem to need importing.

Rich

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 09:35:20 am »

For the tank, I placed a metal ruler on the edge of a sheet of plasticard and cut the width of the ruler - about 25mm - to create a tank with the least number of joints - rolled it like a tape measure and dropped it into boiling water to set the plastic into a uniform curve - glued the 2 end together and it ended up about 70mm diameter - then cut a top & bottom.   drilled a few holes for the fan, chimney & filling pipe and slapped it all together with liquid glue - no drawings - whole thing done in 30 mins.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:37:22 am »

Congrats plastic, simple and really effective. I've ordered 2 misters, one to use, and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long.
 I presume you have a water reservoir in the bottom of yours, how much does it hold?
Chas
Why run it on 6v?    The little DC-DC converters create 5v USB from any input - 4-40V for less than £1  saves cutting wires and messing about.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:24 am »

Chas
If it is USB, almost certainly not for long at all.  5 volt UBEC power supplies that are happy to run off 6 volts are available and cheap.
Anyone ever found a UK supplier for the ultrasonic units yet?  The small ones all seem to need importing.
Any available here will have been imported, and will not benefit from the Chinese post subsidy and will have gained UK handling costs.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:18 am »

Brilliant!  :-))

I notice that the smoke unit that you link is rated at 0.3W but that there is another (link below) that is rated at 2W & costs £1.89. Whether this means that it produces nearly 7 times as much smoke is open to wild speculation.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cars-Home-USB-Mini-UFO-Shapes-Humidifier-Air-Diffuser-Aroma-Mist-Make/264344100058?hash=item3d8c22dcda:m:mpKq5pd24QOtZsbrbwo8p9w

Do you have any thoughts on this?

How much water do they actually vaporize - how big a tank do you need?
Tank is 70mm-ish by 25mm-ish - and I wouldn't trust any of the Chinese specs for current consumption - I'll bet they're all out of the same factory - remember the 320A ESCs?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 09:43:22 am »

........................and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long..................
Chas

Have you remembered that a 6v battery gives a lot more than 6v when fully charged?

A fully charged 6v lead acid gives around 6.37 volts

A fully charged 6v 5 cell NiMH pack gives a maximum of around 1.45v per 1.2v cell so say 7.25v.

I agree with Plastic that a Voltage UBEC controller is a good idea.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:30 am »

Have you remembered that a 6v battery gives a lot more than 6v when fully charged?

A fully charged 6v lead acid gives around 6.37 volts

A fully charged 6v 5 cell NiMH pack gives a maximum of around 1.45v per 1.2v cell so say 7.25v.

I agree with Plastic that a Voltage UBEC controller is a good idea.
I have lots of different batteries, all different voltages so the USB psu standardises all that ancillaries to 5v

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 11:05:48 am »

Plastic
I am very interested in you post as last week I also tried to convert one of these smokers for a boat.
I cut the wire and fitted a Futaba connector and used a 4.8v battery pack. The wire has a coating on it so after a bit of advice from David48 (
grip it between a sheet of fine abrasive paper and  pull  it one way only.) it soldered okay.
I have not yet packaged it but used a spray paint top as the water supply just to test it.

Regards
Skimmer Fan

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:00 am »

did it work ok?    I work on the theory that the big boat battery is my main power source so the DC-DC/USB converter sorts it out for the vaporiser and its fan.   The USB power supplies are so cheap that any other solution will cost you more money & hassle - like trying to solder nasty cheap Chinese wire.  ;)

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 11:54:30 am »

Plastic
It worked fine.
I bought 2 of these units to play with so I will have a go at your system which does look better.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 09:40:40 am »

A bit of a failed experiment for my intended use in submarines but could be useful for anyone wanting a cheap, simple smoke/steam unit: [/color][/size][/font][/size][/color]https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t1908-smoke-or-steam-generator-for-submarine-models#11428[/font][/font][/size]

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 12:06:56 pm »

Morning All

This is my 10p worth with the disc type misting units and some testing results....

My build is a 1/10 scale Riva Aquarama, not much room in the hull for toys as space is at a premium, but then again we wouldn't be here if we didn't like a challenge...  :-))

I'm aiming for 'mist' rolling out of the two exhaust tips, together with water coolant.

I'm using the 20mm disc. ( LLAni D20mm 113KHz Ultrasonic Mist Maker Ceramic Humidifier Atomizing Sensor 3.7-12V from Amazon)

I'm then using a step down buck converter to be able to control the voltage. ( MP1584EN DC-DC Buck Converter - again from Amazon)

I don't want to worry about a water reservoir being too large / small / heavy / overflowing / empty...  So I've made the unit so that it has a constant feed from the water cooling circuit, with an exit too so the water is not under pressure.

Here's the parts:

And here it is in dry fit, machined from nylon bar, coming in at 22g:

And being tested, mist is tricky to take pics of... ! :

At the moment I'm not planning to use a fan, the disc seems to work best at an angle, like above, then the mist just rolls down and out. This down angle also stops the disc being overwhelmed by water sitting on the mist side...  Because when that happens, it stops misting.  Happily for my application the exhausts are lower than the misting unit so this approach works. There are mods that could be made with a small fan to force the mist out if required.

Here's some more recent pics showing the unit assembled and watertight, water inlet is far left, outlet is top.

Idea is to keep the 'reservoir' behind the disc topped off but not pressurised, mist then travels down to the splitter and to the exhausts.  It's work in progress at the moment.

Pipe is all 9mm id, misting unit is 50mm long and 28mm in diameter.

And in the spirit of this thread...  Misting disk was £3.99, Buck converter about £1.50...  :-))

Best regards to all.
David.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.