Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > The "Black Arts!" ( Electrics & Electronics )

Ultra-cheap smoker

<< < (3/5) > >>

Plastic - RIP:
For the tank, I placed a metal ruler on the edge of a sheet of plasticard and cut the width of the ruler - about 25mm - to create a tank with the least number of joints - rolled it like a tape measure and dropped it into boiling water to set the plastic into a uniform curve - glued the 2 end together and it ended up about 70mm diameter - then cut a top & bottom.   drilled a few holes for the fan, chimney & filling pipe and slapped it all together with liquid glue - no drawings - whole thing done in 30 mins.

Plastic - RIP:

--- Quote from: chas on June 21, 2019, 08:41:49 am ---Congrats plastic, simple and really effective. I've ordered 2 misters, one to use, and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long.
 I presume you have a water reservoir in the bottom of yours, how much does it hold?
Chas

--- End quote ---
Why run it on 6v?    The little DC-DC converters create 5v USB from any input - 4-40V for less than £1  saves cutting wires and messing about.

malcolmfrary:

--- Quote from: chas on June 21, 2019, 08:41:49 am ---Congrats plastic, simple and really effective. I've ordered 2 misters, one to use, and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long.
Chas

--- End quote ---
If it is USB, almost certainly not for long at all.  5 volt UBEC power supplies that are happy to run off 6 volts are available and cheap.

--- Quote ---Anyone ever found a UK supplier for the ultrasonic units yet?  The small ones all seem to need importing.
--- End quote ---
Any available here will have been imported, and will not benefit from the Chinese post subsidy and will have gained UK handling costs.

Plastic - RIP:

--- Quote from: Tug Fanatic on June 21, 2019, 08:38:57 am ---Brilliant!  :-))

I notice that the smoke unit that you link is rated at 0.3W but that there is another (link below) that is rated at 2W & costs £1.89. Whether this means that it produces nearly 7 times as much smoke is open to wild speculation.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cars-Home-USB-Mini-UFO-Shapes-Humidifier-Air-Diffuser-Aroma-Mist-Make/264344100058?hash=item3d8c22dcda:m:mpKq5pd24QOtZsbrbwo8p9w

Do you have any thoughts on this?

How much water do they actually vaporize - how big a tank do you need?

--- End quote ---
Tank is 70mm-ish by 25mm-ish - and I wouldn't trust any of the Chinese specs for current consumption - I'll bet they're all out of the same factory - remember the 320A ESCs?

Tug Fanatic:

--- Quote from: chas on June 21, 2019, 08:41:49 am ---........................and one to experiment with. I want to find out if the mister will handle 6 volts, and for how long..................
Chas

--- End quote ---

Have you remembered that a 6v battery gives a lot more than 6v when fully charged?

A fully charged 6v lead acid gives around 6.37 volts

A fully charged 6v 5 cell NiMH pack gives a maximum of around 1.45v per 1.2v cell so say 7.25v.

I agree with Plastic that a Voltage UBEC controller is a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version