Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > The "Black Arts!" ( Electrics & Electronics )

Ultra-cheap smoker

<< < (4/5) > >>

Plastic - RIP:

--- Quote from: Tug Fanatic on June 21, 2019, 09:43:22 am ---Have you remembered that a 6v battery gives a lot more than 6v when fully charged?

A fully charged 6v lead acid gives around 6.37 volts

A fully charged 6v 5 cell NiMH pack gives a maximum of around 1.45v per 1.2v cell so say 7.25v.

I agree with Plastic that a Voltage UBEC controller is a good idea.

--- End quote ---
I have lots of different batteries, all different voltages so the USB psu standardises all that ancillaries to 5v

Skimmer Fan:

Plastic
I am very interested in you post as last week I also tried to convert one of these smokers for a boat.
I cut the wire and fitted a Futaba connector and used a 4.8v battery pack. The wire has a coating on it so after a bit of advice from David48 (grip it between a sheet of fine abrasive paper and  pull  it one way only.) it soldered okay.I have not yet packaged it but used a spray paint top as the water supply just to test it.

Plastic - RIP:
did it work ok?    I work on the theory that the big boat battery is my main power source so the DC-DC/USB converter sorts it out for the vaporiser and its fan.   The USB power supplies are so cheap that any other solution will cost you more money & hassle - like trying to solder nasty cheap Chinese wire.  ;)

Skimmer Fan:

Plastic
It worked fine.
I bought 2 of these units to play with so I will have a go at your system which does look better.

Davy1:
A bit of a failed experiment for my intended use in submarines but could be useful for anyone wanting a cheap, simple smoke/steam unit: [/color][/size][/font][/size][/color]https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t1908-smoke-or-steam-generator-for-submarine-models#11428[/font][/font][/size]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version