Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunder and lightning!  (Read 1711 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Thunder and lightning!
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:11:20 am »

My family and I were at the receiving end of a rather unpleasant storm last night whilst camping in Suffolk.
We had seen the flashes of lightning from about 10pm but it must have been miles away as we didn’t hear the thunder. At 1am that changed. The rumbles sounded like a jet going over so we thought if that’s what it’s going to do it’s not too bad... at 1:30am a proper sound of thunder was heard. We’ve been through thunderstorms before whilst camping but at 1:35am a blinding flash followed by a boom that shook the ground. I turned on my torch to see my hairs on my arm rising through static electricity in the air. A rather profuse swear word was uttered, then quite rightly I decided to the abandon tent and find cover. With something that sounded it should have been the main effects from Shakespeare’s The Tempest we endured this barrage for three hours with me trying to calm Bru our dog, my mum looking after my petrified niece, and Dad going around the tents making sure that they weren’t going to be the lightning rod to the storm!
In my 35 years of camping I’ve only ever had to abandon camp twice and the first one was due to a torn canvas in the middle of a rain storm! :embarrassed:
The bolt that made me realise that we were too close for comfort truly scared the hell out of me, hadn’t been that scared for a couple of years since a rather scary trip into a rather nasty war zone.
What did the rest you guys have last night, I know being out in the elements makes it more real but did have any phenomenal storms last night?
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Thunder and lightning!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:46 am »

The forecast Donner und Blitzen never materialised here. You should have stayed home Nick  %) 

PS Glad you and family OK
Don't Assume Check

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:22:41 am »

HI SORRY to hear of your scare but here where I live in Norfolk not a dicky bird but you an you family keep safe
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:40:04 am »

Not nice at all Nick. The storms seem to be isolated cells though. Nothing here so far but that could change later.
Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:49:42 am »

It must  have been a localised storm but it was incredibly violent. I think it endured over our location for so long because there wasn’t much wind to move it on, even when it rained it wasn’t as heavy as expected but the lightning and the thunder were incredibly bright and loud.

Thanks for the support, my niece has learnt the power of nature and now has a healthy respect for it now, Bru has recovered, and mum and dad are just as tired as me for being awake all night! We’re going to visit Felixstowe today to see Languard Fort. Fingers crossed tonight doesn’t bring another!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:39:57 am »

Here in East Sussex it was quite an impressive show, one of the best I've seen for many years.
Watched it move in over the channel and could see the lightning from way off. It slowly moved over the coast and started to get loud by about 10pm. Dogs went wild and the kids even woke up from the bright flashes lighting the rooms up even through the curtains. Kept going at full clap until around 1am and then quietened off slightly but was still audible and visible.

Amazingly it was still going until about 0745 this morning. Have never seen a thunderstorm last so long in my life. Very impressive indeed.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 10:47:02 am »

Nothing that dramatic just some light rain. Holyhead SAR, New Brighton L/B  and Mersey Rescue searching for someone going for a paddle in the Mersey about 0050. Nothing found apparently.

LB

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:02 pm »

it was spread out all the way to kent, it did wake me, but I just rolled over in bed and went back to sleep again.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

Worked in a substation when a localised lightning storm hit....
By the time I got everyone out and accounted for the team were all white with fear
Most hadn’t realised how bad it would get being mostly civil guys not electrical.

We counted 13 hits onto the lines but when I checked the counters they had registered
48!!!

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »

Living a few miles along the coast from Tugcowboy I probably saw what he did. Our first power cut lasted couple of minutes but a second one soon after put us in darkness for an hour. When a tree on our estate got hit and the house shook I decided to disconnect the tv connections.
Suprisingly the rain was about 15 minutes behind the initial lightning and thunder.

Apparently Eastbourne received around 1000 lightning flashes in an hour.
Amazing to watch.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:35 pm »

Remember once going up the Irish Sea, when sitting in the saloon I heard a terrific bang, sounded like a $,% going off outside. Stuck my head out of the porthole, nothing just a lovely quite evening and no storm clouds around. Went up to the bridge, the O/W reported a bang and strange blue light going down the side of the wheelhouse, he asked the watch keeper to go outside to investigate and he refused in language not in the bible. Thought nothing of it until we had a radio survey not long afterwards and found all the earth straps burnt through. Then the penny dropped  Lightening strike. By the way I renamed the watch keeper afterwards "Arkwright".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.