Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jetty project  (Read 10270 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jetty project
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 07:57:10 pm »

Nice work!

Lake looks calm at that hour of the day.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 08:53:03 pm »

Very nice  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
radar upgrade
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 05:11:25 pm »

The adventure continues...

This morning, VERY early, the wind was light, no campers in sight and the pond was clean, sun behind a few clouds so a great morning to sail.

The multi-purpose vessel was seen alongside the telecommunications jetty in order to repair a radar.

Cheers from the pond

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 05:36:28 pm »

Great photos!
That the pond north of Nanaimo this time? Not as windy.

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
Sonar research
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:15 am »

The freelance Coast Guard is tasked with a multitude of missions. Today the Sonar research vessel INTREPID is about to deploy with a submersible to conduct trials on a new hull mounted sonar system.

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
BRYMIR Tug and Barge
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 03:02:00 pm »

Hello once again to all model boat fanatics and those who are curious about what is coming next..LOL

For the next few months Bryons boats will be featured. A few years ago I was discussing Bryon's models in his workshop and he commented that he would enjoy sharing his passion for model boats with fellow modelers. i suggested that he send photos of his models to MODEL BOAT (UK ) magazine for possible publication. That idea resulted in six submissions published, the last a 6 page spread of his two tugs towing a barge with a jetty/ lighthouse combination

Todays post will be the first of two we are calling BRYMIR Tug and BARGE. He has two tugs of similar design that were built to tow a barge. That barge was designed to allow two different cargoes to be installed, ( interchangeable ) one a sawdust barge and part two, a tug named " Lady J " towing a coal barge. Each of the two tugs have different jetty configurations. 

Here is Chris B, part 1 of 2

Enjoy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »

Is there no end to your adventures! I love 'Lobster Heaven' very much  :} I am sure the Lobster went though their contract with Poseidon about being eaten and found no claws covering this  {-)

I'll get my coat  {:-{

Pond weed is your enemy

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 12:14:18 am »

Hello from Canada

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our models and the jetty project.

While i am able to sail any morning at a local campground only 10 minutes from my home, Bryon has a different sailing issue, the
wind at the lake..seldom do we get a chance to sail, when we do it is a rush job to drive the 30 minutes and set up the jettys( ies ) by
6am for an hour. I do not take photos in bright sun light preferring to take advantage of ambient light an hour before the sun rises over the trees in the distance at about 7am. However that is quality time.
Yes there is an end to our adventures ..LOL however that end will not occur until we have posted three more models and jettys...
Pleased you like the lobster shoot, a bit of fun .

If it isn't fun, don't do it

Cheers

John and Bryon

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
New jetty design and super
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 04:47:17 pm »

Hello fellow freelancers

I arrived at the pond at 6am and much to my surprise the campground was empty, not a single camper. That made it much easier to launch my new jetty configuration and the newest super fitted to my 39in hull, a Police Cutter designed for drug interdiction. The new office building is a smaller version of the one built for the long jetty and is unique in that is designed to allow numerous interchangeable name boards which match the model and billboard. They simply clip over the permanent one in seconds. For those of you who follow my posts you may recognize the Police Cutter. It was an ambulance in a previous life...the addition of a RHIB, hydraulic crane and a set of ready use lockers  aft creates what you might call a freelance conversion. My superyacht is the simplest design in my entire fleet but  high on my list of favourites.

Bryon has two more models and jetty designs ready to launch but it may take some time to sail at the lake as wind is an issue most days.
As always, if you have any questions regarding the jetty project do not hesitate to ask, willing to help in any way i can for those interested in creating a jetty project.

Cheers

Bryon and John

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
PT boat conversion
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »

Hi fellow modellers

An update and a request for help

Normally I build a model boat because I have the urge to expand my fleet of freelance boats. However, my current build was not a planned project, rather a case of " necessity is the mother of invention".
The campground I sail at, a short 10 minute drive from home is up for sale and if the new owner chooses to deny me sailing time I will be forced to drive 30 minutes to Long Lake. Up until a few weeks ago Bryon and I would check the web weather report to see if the winds are acceptable for power boats.. We have become frustrated with the inaccuracies of those reports and many one hour return trips were recorded with no sailing. A solution was needed and fast.

I am not a sail boat enthusiast so that was a no-go. However when viewing Youtube I happened to stumble onto a large 40in PT boat planing over choppy water. That was a Eureka moment for me. Instead of pushing a displacement hull into the chop i would skip over it. I purchased a 40 in PT boat hull from a friend. i had seen this model perform in the past. It was ready to sail but was updated with a 2.4 Ghz radio and RX. I decided to build a  second freelance Police boat.

I sailed the boat this morning,  however I was surprised to witness a motor cutting out after a minute or so at high speed, after a few seconds DIW back to power. The motor did not appear to be hot. I brought it home and bench checked the power train.  Under no load the motor works fine. It may be a problem of mis-matched components. The motor is a 8.4 volt  Robbe 600/24 running at 18K. The battery is a 7.2 volt pack ( never noticed before because i assumed it was the same as the motor ) and oddly the battery charger is 9.6, another potential problem. The ESC is the old Robbe Green unit.

I assume the proper voltage to the motor would result in more speed but I doubt it would cause the motor to be intermittent. Anyone have a thought on this problem ?

Cheers

John

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
Motor cutting out
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 11:11:47 pm »

Hi guys ( and a few gals )

I have checked all the wiring and all is solid. I have concluded that the motor is drawing more amps than the ESC can handle so I will be installing a 50 amp ESC into the system tomorrow and sailing it once again on Sunday morning to test my assumption  Fingers crossed as this is the most important model in my fleet. I am a modeler accustomed to  SLA batteries and displacement hulls so this electrical system is new to me. i will also be buying a couple of new 8.4 battery packs. to match the motor...should have noticed it before, just took the sellers word on the battery voltage.

[size=78%]Cheers[/size]

John

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 03:17:45 pm »

Hi Guys

My assumption was correct

The model performs well with a 50 amp ESC, planes very quickly...next month I will purchase two new battery packs and connect them in parallel for a longer running time.

Sunday mornings will be a sailing day regardless of he wind conditions

Cheers

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
African Queen
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 08:12:38 pm »

Hi Guys

A few weeks ago I promised an upload that might interest British viewers.

In 1951 a film ( African Queen ) starring Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart was screened with strong British content..however the steam launch used in the movie ended up as famous as the human stars. Countless models both RC and static have been built.  The real boat was a wreck, built in the early 1900's , a hull built from riveted iron. The director wanted a shabby launch to match the storyline and he was successful.

I suggested to Bryon that because a jetty was not seen in the movie I would build a similar jetty to the one in Florida where a Bogart fan offers tours in the actual launch. A new hull frame and boiler were  required to make the launch sea worthy. This jetty is my imagination running wild
and represents a jetty that i would build if the Queen was mine on Long lake.

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Webmaster, Marine Modelers Club of New England
    • Marine Modelers Club of New England
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 02:50:57 am »

I really like your approach- using basic shapes to dress the docks, made from styrene. The clean, neat finish and cleve4 labels really makes them look terrific!

Did I miss the description of how the basic docks themselves are made?  I saw a reference to styrene, but no mention of what makes the docks float.

Is the styrene a skin over a block of foam?
Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 04:12:51 am »

Nice work guys!
Haven't been successful promoting the idea with our club members but it will come.

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 06:06:03 am »

Hi RCboater and Mike

Thank you for taking the time to reply...pleased you enjoy the concept. The jetty is 55 inches long and 11 inches wide. It was built from a single piece of special flotation foam purchased from a foam shop, cost about 18 dollars, two sides of 1/2 in plywood with a piece of plywood on top. A final deck was made from a piece of 3mm Sintra ( PVC material )  The concept requires that all buildings  be made from 1/16 ( .060 ) styrene to ensure weight is kept to a minimum. If I was to build another jetty I would make it a bit wider , perhaps 14 inches as most buildings are built to a scale of 1/35 and it does not provide much room at the front for walkways.

Mike in Victoria

Very sorry to hear about your wife.

John

freelancer

• Full Mayhemer
jetty construction
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 07:20:47 pm »

Hi RC Boater and others

Jetty is simple construction..

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.