Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elderly model boaters  (Read 2502 times)

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Elderly model boaters
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:23:32 pm »

Hi it's John V why is it that most model boat builders are elderly like me .I did say most not all cheers John V

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Elderly model boaters
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:25:50 pm »

Cos there aren't very many young ones anymore.
Average age of Model Boats magazine readership is around 68 and climbing.

Colin

RST

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:32:24 pm »

Because when I grew up I played with toys and models, not iPads and Facebook. I feel young in the hobby at 40 this month by a good 20 years. But it's always been that way for me to be honest. Sometimes the age gap was 30 to 40 years!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »

Time moves slowly in the model boating world.

Last week I dug out my old Caldercraft Cumbrae kit which I reviewed for Model Boats back in 1992. The second SLA battery I had fitted was on the way out but a replacement from Component Shop and a few minor running repairs and the boat is still good to run after 27 years. (I don't think the kit has changed much either!)

Radio is the original Futaba 27meg Steerwheel which continues to work perfectly.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:34 pm »

When I used to attend my local model boat club in my teens, there were no other members my age, everyone else was middle aged, a few in their late thirties, but of course fast forward thirty years and those members are now pensioners or pushing up the daisies.

A lot is blamed on computers, but really the internet and computing on a mass scale didn't really get going until about twenty years ago, and the rot set in long before then.

I think it's a combination of many factors, including lack of practical/craft skills taught in education or handed down from older generations, poor image in the popular media (anoraks etc.) and of course sources of ready made, if ephemeral entertainment.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:40 pm »

Hi it's John V I don't think it's computers because we on mayhem are on them now it's a lack of practical skills and know how .plus interest cheers John V

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:55:04 pm »

Yes, but us on computers tend to use them as tools; web browsing, internet banking, checking on news etc. etc.

Youngsters use computers for games and entertainment. Our entertainment is model making.

Colin

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:19:50 pm »

Hi Colin it's John V you are right all the model boat shows I have been to over a good many years most are elderly .I think will will blame computer games . don't forget our leader Martin is not old we have to be careful now cheers John V

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 09:56:38 pm »

First I have to say - i have had nothing but encouragement from this forum. 

There's a number of factors - some of it comes down to how some of us modelers behave - At the local model show in Elgin (a few years back)- I saw a 11 or 12 year old ask about some of the models on display only to get short shrift from the modeler on the stand and at the same show I saw groups of modelers huddled together like fishwives not engaging with any of the visitors.

Clubs are disappearing - My nearest boat club is 104 miles away (Not counting Culbin), and I have no idea what is going on with the  Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs

Local model shops are rare (Dingwall is very good - but one near where I am spending most of my week is awful)

It's not all bad -

The technology used to build kits is 20-30 years old but we are starting to catch up - 3d printed parts are coming in now, CNC cut and manufactured parts becoming more widely used - however we are 10  years behind planes and helicopters.

Easier kits are now on the market with precut / assembled parts - it make it easier for us with limited time to get on the water quickly.

Forums are out there for support. It is now easier to source kits and parts through the internet - I can buy something from Europe and have it in Inverness in less than a week.

In the late 90's wargaming / boardgaming / RPG's were dying, It was the preserve of a select few with fixed ideas, we hated the evil empires (Games Workshop/WoTC/) - but the companies evolved and things changed

Now, we have a number of new magazines, Prepainted Miniatures get you going quickly, Kickstarter keeps things going and encourages new ideas funded by the community, manufacturing has changed, prototype - to finished model is quicker and cheaper.

Shops (Common Ground Gaming in Stirling / Static in Glasgow) have spaces for modelling and playing games - GW has staff in store to help new players - they offer support and encouragement.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:24:46 pm »

It's difficult for younger people with a family to find the time space and money.
It's definitely a hobby that favours those with kids who've left home and self sufficient.
I could never have entertained what I am able to do now having started at 59 yrs old.

First model I remembered recently was the Eezibilt balsa tug boat I built aged 9 yrs old. I think I did a fair job of it but no recollection of what happened to it.
Kids struggle for parental interest money and somewhere suitable to work.
My grown up kids like my boats but have no interest in trying themselves and the afore mentioned issues apply too.

My Father from a boxing background 360 fights and a fireman after that for 26 yrs never had a skill he could pass on. Crap with his hands other than delivering punches. He taught me to hang wallpaper  {-)

Any ability I have is certainly not from him
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 10:48:03 pm »

It's not just model boats, the whole modelling field is the same.

I model railways, boats, slot race cars and plastic model aircraft and the average age range for all of those is well above 50 these days.  :((
Regards
Kit

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 12:05:42 am »

Hi, anybody put a thought to exactly what age you are to be considered 'Elderly'?
I have two ages the outside one which frequently aches and finds that the water has moved down a bit and the one inside that is still making promises.........
Regards
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 07:55:07 am »

I guess if the majority are drawing their state pension, then you can say it’s a hobby practised primarily by an older generation.

I think it’s very much the case that a persons spirit matters much more than a number, but also important to recognise that none of us have a pass on mortality.

What will be the state of play in 10-20 years from now?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:05 am »

at 59 I am at the younger end of the scale, I started modelling as a child, and through my teens, only really stopping when i got married and started a family, after that there wasnt the time space or cash for a while, so it was only once my now ex left me I had the time space cash and inclination to restart the hobby (amongst others) you do have to catch the kids young, as once they grow up and start relationships the hobbies tend to die back, only to be resumed once the family has flown the nest and you have time and money to start up again. as you say modern kids want the instant gratification that electronics can provide, its up to us as modellers to show them that this gratification can also be obtained through patience and taking time to make something, and of course getting them hooked when they come to shows with something they can have a go at.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:26 am »

Did we not just have survey of our ages recently short memories  oh dear

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:35 am »

Trying to bolt the stable door when the horse is off and over the hill.

Becoming a decent modelmaker takes years of application, some will be better than others, but to achieve a certain level of proficiency takes at least a decade.

Most modellers attend clubs and events for entertainment few wish to become instructors, and if you're specifically aiming at young people these days you have to tread carefully with the law on background checks etc. Another can of worms that didn't have to be considered years ago.

In addition a good teacher is quite a rare thing, plenty of folk about with skills and knowledge, but lousy at passing it on.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:27 am »

I don't agree that it takes a decade to become a good builder  %%  you either have it or you don't and it depends on your background. Some are good straight away and some never will be just like any other job

Then there are those who are on another level
https://www.facebook.com/ko.koster.75/videos/1257659761064502/
ANDY

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:26 am »

I'm considering a complete novice. Some will have a natural flair, that often makes the difference between an average modelmaker and a master. In reality we never stop learning, and often have to go back and revisit areas if they're not regularly practised.

It's all very well to debate semantics, but it doesn't square the circle with regards to arresting a decline in the hobby, which I believe could be past the point of no return.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 10:34:43 am »

It's not a young mans hobby in my mind due to the difficulties mentioned.
Nothing wrong with the numbers starting in later years who have cash time and space. I hope to have another 25yrs of learning  :-))
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:22 am »

Cos there aren't very many young ones anymore.
Average age of Model Boats magazine readership is around 68 and climbing.

Colin
I might start buying it to reduce the average  :-)
ANDY

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 12:22:42 pm »

when  I was young, I did modelling, in my early teens I sarted going to a youth club where an older guy used to sit there and make models, he then started running classes for those who wished, the reason he was there was because his wife ran the badmington in the hall, and he had to drive her., many models were made, I remember a leander class destroyer, a powered plane and a glider. he even managed to get the youth club to go halves with us on radio control gear for the planes (it was a horizon set I recall), he would bring the plans in - several copies and we would all build together, all this was just to while away his time waiting for his wife to finish her badmington, its this sort of dedication to the hobby that is required to get youngsters to join in and start.it lead to me cycling out to the local flying clubs ground to fly my planes, it also lead to us starting up 1/12 car racing (the original mardaves) on a sunday morning at the youth club location, but this one modellers sacrifice of time and teaching us kids probably allowed several new modellers to start up the hobby.

leachim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 12:48:20 pm »

I'm not elderly, although the chap looking back at me in the mirror might disagree! I sail occasionally with MBA Dover and there are a variety of ages there including some youngsters. My 6 year old grandson is very keen and has helped me build a fishing boat ("It's my boat grandad so........" we are still trying to decide on a name for it!). It is very difficult to find time to take him out with it, at 6 his life is filled with all sorts of activities and when he is available the weather has been horrendous! However we will make it out on the lake so he can practice controlling the boat sometime this summer. Getting kids interested isn't the problem, keeping their interest is! especially as they grow up and other interests fill their lives especially when they discover girls! If they haven't got model boating in their blood by then all is probably lost.
However the interest shown by young families as they walk round the lake shows that it isn't a dead hobby and shouldn't be to hard to get a wider range of ages playing with their models on the water. We just need to communicate with everyone, not shut ourselves away behind tables and tape, that way lies failure. Lack of model shops, especially those with marine models doesn't help but I don't think we help ourselves much. People enjoy the regattas at lakes around the country so the interest is there it's just a case of tapping into it.
Mike 8)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.