Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: notes for club committees  (Read 2567 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
notes for club committees
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:28:18 pm »

over the last couple of years, I have, as club secretary, been updating the way the club runs. after talking to and hearing different problems in clubs, I have tried to mitigate some of the problems that seem to plague clubs. this is by no means a hard and fast list, but it can go someway to helping streamline clubs.
like most clubs, we have problems getting members for the committee. at one point, we had 9 members on it, now run with 4.
so to help out here are a few things we have done.
1. a club only needs a chair, secretary and treasurer.everything else is irrelevant.
2. accounts, make them electronic. I got a free program on excel off a member on here a couple of years ago. makes everything easy.
3. upgrade everything to the computer and store it on a cloud storage site, giving committee members the password.
4. in the event of a hospitalization, incapacity or death of a committee member, the club can still function as everything is on the web.
5. no committee meetings, getting everyone together can be problematic.  we do it all down the lakeside.
6. ensure the club has a website up to date, and if possible Facebook page.
7. use email and texts to keep members up to date
8. keep in contact with those members you dont see often. maybe something has happened to them.
9. actively encourage people to have a go lakeside
10. get younger members to help older members on PCs and phones, in return older members help with younger members models.
11. check your club insurance. there are plenty of deals out there. club insurance is 30%  cheaper than this time last year, according to the insurance companies, so start asking questions.
12. have fun lakeside! being a committee member doesn't mean you dont sail!
13. MOST IMPORTANT keep it simple.  everyone in a MBC is a member. we are in the same hobby. it doesn't matter if you do scale, sail, steam or subs, you are part of the same club. do t divide the club. it fractious and dangerous. no one section is more important than the other. your in a club, in the same hobby pull together. make it s whole not 2 halves.
14. support your local clubs, not just yours. go to open days, open up dialogues with plastic clubs, aero clubs and railway clubs, hell even slot car clubs! you never know what in your area!
15. publish a club magazine, we used to print 4 times a year, but it got too expensive,  we now publish a PDF copy on line.

well that's just a few ideas.  I know some will hate what  I have said,  some won't. take it or leave it. throw in any other ideas, I'm always open to suggestion. this is what has worked in our club over the last 5 years.
PS if anyone want a copy of the accounts package I'm more than willing to pass it on FOC.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: notes for club committees
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:48:18 pm »

Hi Klunk

Completely agree, evolution is necessary to continue the hobby. I especially agree on supporting other clubs- they are not rivals in anyway but sister clubs who are interested in the same hobby.
For a smooth running of a club the three key positions are important but we also have a lake manager who is just as important for the actual sailing ensuring we have a clear lake. He visits almost every other day to ensure the lake is okay and contacts the secretary to organise a clear up team if required.
Other than that, we are here to have fun and committee members sometimes forget that they need to play too! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:34:11 pm »

We have problems getting members for the committee, now run with 4.

1. a club only needs a chair, secretary and treasurer. Everything else is irrelevant.

Question who is the irrelevant forth committee member?  %%

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:08:09 pm »

anyone who volunteers as a general member. we split membership between treasurer and secretary
full time penguin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 10:00:33 am »

The most important ingredients in any group are enthusiasm, commitment and general consensus on how to achieve a common goal.

Sadly it can take just a solitary bad apple to ruin the whole barrel. Seen more than one successful and happy club changed beyond all recognition that way.

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:01 am »

Interesting thoughts put forward by Klunk.  I am the Secretary of the Peterborough Area Model Boat Club and our club structure varies slightly comprising of Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary which seems to work quite well for us.  We operate much as the list in Klunk's notes suggests although I have to say that we do not formally chase up members that haven't been to the lake for a while.  Perhaps something for us to consider. We do not produce a periodic newsletter although I circulate bi-monthly meeting notes by e-mail or letter to the entire membership along with periodic e-mails covering 'matters of the moment' and event reminders etc. 

I would suggest that the following be considered as additions to the club committee notes:

A Club Constitution voted by the membership at a General Meeting.  We hold our Annual General Meeting in June of each year where such things as fees are voted along with any changes to the Constitution.  All club members are given a copy of the Constitution for reference. 

Some sort of safety management system.  Nothing too formal but to ensure that any risks associated with the club's operation are identified and mitigated or highlighted as appropriate.  The production of a Risk Assessment (RA) flows from that and our members are each provided with a copy of the Club RA for our sailing lake.

This year, and for the first time, I generated an annual diary of events covering the dates of our bi-monthly meetings, sailing times, events where we exhibit and events where we attend as visitors or supporters. Previously, I only provided a list of events looking forward about 3 months with reminders sent out nearer the dates. The annual diary was well received by some members but I continue to provide event reminders to the membership as the year progresses.

We take part in the local Scale Model Club Show, Intermodellbau at Dortmund, although we missed this year as a couple of the key players were unavailable, a Classic Transport Day at the local Heritage Railway, Model Boat Mayhem at Wicksteed and all of the Dean's Marine events through the year. In addition, we visit Mobile Marine Models Open Days, Wings and Wheels, the International Model Boat Show and attend some of the nearer model boat club shows where, most recently, 2 of our members were awarded prizes for the their models at the Northampton & District Model Boat Club Open Day.

It is not all rosy in the garden though as we are struggling with the unprecedented weed growth on our sailing lake this year.  Something we, as the Committee, are trying to deal with but which gets harder each year as the membership all grow older.

The final thing I would add, is the occasional need to remind some club members that the Committee are all unpaid volunteers and not employees of the club !!

Just my perspective after 8 years as Club Secretary.

Firefly (Mick)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:57:08 am »

Planting 10-15% of the pond with Norfolk reed is a proven natural way to reduce weed to a minimum, and has been used successfully on a number of man-made ponds which lack a flow of water through them. The reed absorbs any nutrients in the water, starving any weed. Understandably most model boaters don't wish to lose access to a one side the pond, plus the area set aside for reed. The only viable alternative seems to be regular cleaning, especially important if there are an abundance of deciduous trees surrounding a pond.

My local pond at Broomfield Park has been suffering for the last three or four years with algae and weed infestation. Traditionally it was annually drained and swept out, but a problem with collapsed pipes used to fill and drain the pond has meant this hasn't taken place, and council cuts have put repairs well down the list of priorities.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:07 pm »

2. accounts, make them electronic. I got a free program on excel off a member on here a couple of years ago. makes everything easy.
3. upgrade everything to the computer and store it on a cloud storage site, giving committee members the password.

Absolutely a good idea PROVIDED that someone has a regular local back up for when, not if, the cloud fails you.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 09:57:57 pm »

I have back ups of all club stuff on a seperate hard drive plus 2 extra off site locations. that's me being paranoid.
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:09 pm »

Not paranoid - just sensible!
Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:57 pm »

4. in the event of a hospitalization, incapacity or death of a committee member, the club can still function as everything is on the web.

Make absolutely sure this information does not include any bank details and, for names and addresses, ensure you're aware of the legal situation with regards to younger members.

5. no committee meetings, getting everyone together can be problematic.  we do it all down the lakeside.
6. ensure the club has a website up to date, and if possible Facebook page.
7. use email and texts to keep members up to date.

WhatsApp is great for near-instant small-group news and chat. Regarding websites? Great for businesses, never fresh enough for an active club, unless the web-guru is seriously on the ball.

Final suggestion: all groups have schisms. Eventually. Just ask major churches. If the group decides to take off in directions new (and not something others are keen on) wish 'em well!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 10:44:22 pm »

I am a member of a non-member group up in the Vancouver, BC area.  They still keep me in touch by email even though I moved to Texas 4 years ago.  No officers, no dues, no bylaws or rules.  Email is the main communication tool.  We recruit from people who walk by the lakeside.  Sailboats, tugs, police boats, etc. all welcome.  Some are even bi-boateral, sail and power.  O0

[/size]This non-club has been together for 15 or 20 years or more, with people coming and going.  Always a friendly group, willing to help one another.[size=78%][/size][size=78%]  [/size]

The best part is that after a Sunday morning sail, we meet at the local pub for coffee, or beer, or breakfast.  It really cements friendships.

I have also been a member of clubs with all the officers, formal newsletters, etc.  That works too.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 11:21:00 pm »

Make absolutely sure this information does not include any bank details and, for names and addresses, ensure you're aware of the legal situation with regards to younger members.

WhatsApp is great for near-instant small-group news and chat. Regarding websites? Great for businesses, never fresh enough for an active club, unless the web-guru is seriously on the ball.

Final suggestion: all groups have schisms. Eventually. Just ask major churches. If the group decides to take off in directions new (and not something others are keen on) wish 'em well!

Andy

Andy, whilst taking onboard what you say, everything is in secured folders. no bank details are stored here at all. names and addresses are not available to any members and only 2 committee members, with the relevant passwords. much is made of current regulations regarding peoples info, but if someone is really desperate for that info, then nothing will really stopping  them, as has been seen when major institutions have been hacked. most computer security is retrospective, and as a small club we do not have the resources to mitigate this. even a membership book kept under your bed can be mislaid or stolen!
full time penguin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 11:29:04 pm »

Andy, whilst taking onboard what you say, everything is in secured folders...

:-))
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.