Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Row-Ver  (Read 1403 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Row-Ver
« on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:31 am »

Took me a while to figure out just where to place this post, maybe I ought to have started a new section for Oar/Paddle propelled models?

After building a more detailed than I at first appreciated warship model, a bit of light relief was needed.  So, an idea that has been lurking in the back of my mind for a few years now, was taken out and this time a solution came to me. Like most good ideas, it was obvious, but only after it was figured out.

RC models based on rowing boats keep on appearing from time to time but often incorporate a complex mechanism and/or electronics to produce the rowing action.  In this model a small geared electric motor drives a shaft which carries two arms.  These arms transfer their rotary motion to the inboard ends of the two oars which then cause the oar blades to rotate in and out of the water.  A test rig on the workbench was used to sort out the geometry (and see if it would hold together) before building it into a simple dinghy hull made from liteply and balsa about 24 inches long.

Both oars work together at all times so steering is achieved with a big rudder!  This actually works quite well with a turning circle of around 12-15 feet in diameter.  It also sails and steers in both directions.

The empty dinghy didn't look right with no one rowing so a simple "figure" was added.  Not very convincing close up but OK when rowing across the water.  In fact this model inevitably attracts the attention of spectators when sailing, maybe because it's different but also they can see how it works.

Great fun to sail but only on calm days and the only problem encountered so far has been to remember the oars sticking out of the sides when launching and recovering the damn thing.  Plans just sent off to Model Boats.
Glynn Guest

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Row-Ver
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:13:06 pm »

That's an achievement in itself - simple but effective - I like it!

Well done G.G. :-))

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.