Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless motors  (Read 3902 times)

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Brushless motors
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:24:09 pm »

Hi it's John V anybody now if a Mtroniks mx 600 brushless motor will be better than a torpedo 850 brushed motor cheers John V

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brushless motors
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:17:26 am »

How long exactly is that piece of string you're holding?

I can find no reference to an mtroniks mx600 brushless, they do make a M600 brushed. Also worth considering in motor choice is the fact that torpedo 850 motors are absolute worthless garbage and always have been  %)

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:25:00 am »

Hi John, I can't agree with Andyn about the 850 being useless, they make good ballast.   More seriously, the 850 is not a motor I would recommend. The brushless  you mention, could it be the mx1s 600?. I've never run one of these, and as it's quite expensive you need to be very specific about what it's for and what performance you're aiming at to find out if it's worth it..
     There's a huge choice of brush less motors, the vast range from hobbyking is a popular source, and once you know what performance you need it's very easy to cut the choice to just a few.
  Give the forum more detail, and you'll get some meaningful answers.
Chas

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:40 am »

I suspect this is the motor referred to https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Motors-For-RC-Cars/MX1S600-1900.htm#descriptionOn the basis that even a wound-up rubber band is better in most respects than an 850 then yes - this is "better", but I see there is no current draw information on the website. I'd like to know that detail before shelling out the thick end of ninety quid. A suitable ESC would almost certainly double that price for the pair. Like Chas, I favour Turnigy motors from Hobbyking or alternatively the Leopard range from Component-Shop.
DaveM

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 10:05:36 am »

Hi John
At least Hobbyking motors you can get the specs on voltage, power and ESC required.
These are three motors I have used and are a straight swap to upgrade from or downgrade.
Basically start with a 2 blade 40mm prop, 100Amp ESC (I use the Hobbyking 100Amp car ones(HK-100A) with program card(HK PROG-CARD).
These are for 30 to 40 inch boats.
From slower up:- 3639-750kv(2 to 4S Lipo 3700 to 5800mah) 600Watts.
                          3639-1100kv(2 to 4S) 800Watts.
                           D3548/4-1450kv(3 to 4S) 1600 Watts.
This will give you an underloaded rpm range between 5400 and 21460.

The 3548 on 4S in a MFA Spearfish (37") will get about 37-38 KPH which is dam quick.

Canabus

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:31:22 pm »

Hi it's John V the motor I was going to buy is from Howes models it's a Mtroniks mx1s 600 brushless motor it's £59.99 to buy it's 1400 kv 7.2 V to 14 .8 V would it be better than a 850 mfa torpedo motor

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 03:30:22 pm »

Hi John, the term 'better' doesn't mean much, unless you say what for. Eg, it's no good for most ship models, it's not much use for large heavy planing hulls.
   You must have realised that the 850 is not well thought of from the replies, so let's move on from there.
  No responsible person is going to tell you to go for that brushless motor unless they understand what it is going to be used in, and what you expect from it, there may be better options and possibly much less expensive ones.
  Example, my 1 meter long RTTL, performs extremely well with a 2826 1400 turnigy motor on 9.6 volts. But, it is unusually light weight, and my expectations mean that I want performance a little over scale speed, not silly fast. If I put the same motor in my old aerokits crash tender, a smaller but heavier model it wouldn't be as good..
   Be specific mate, we're trying to help you.
Chas
  Edit.  If it's all the numbers used for these things that bother you, just say so, we've all been there so we'll cut through all that to try and help.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 04:53:42 pm »

Hi it's John V thanks for all your help .I have a better understanding  on motors now cheers John V

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »

Hi John I had an 850 fitted in my Chris Craft 1930 Runabout, which is quite a heavy model, changing to a Turing 3648 1450 completely transformed the boat, I run it on 3s Lipos and rarely go over 60% throttle. A side benefit from the conversion was that the smaller motor is much easier to line up, the 850 was impossible. I took lots of advice from Canabus on this forum.
Good luck and have fun.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:39 pm »

Could you chaps possibly put more info about your power trains, prop sizes etc. please. It’ll certainly help some of us make better decisions..

MHo

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 05:07:22 pm »

Well then, here is mine:

Motor: Hextronik DT700 from Hobbyking: [size=78%]https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hextronik-dt700-brushless-outrunner-700kv.html[/size]
DT750 is identical but has little higher kv value.
D4023 is alike but little stronger and has kv 850.
The reason I have chosen those motors are easy to service and rewind for still lower kv's, lots of torq due to biggish diameter, and price: they are cheap as soap.
If you want the optimum brushless direct drive motor, then look for those big heavy-lift drone outrunners that have plenty of poles: they are designed to swing really big props with rather slow rpm's like helicopter rotors.

ESC is Hobbyking X-CAR 120A: [size=78%]https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-x-car-120a-brushless-car-esc-sensored-sensorless.html[/size]
Setup and parametrisation is done as sensorless rock crawler motor, with multipurpose LED program box by Hobbywing, Hobbyking does not sell those any more.

Battery was 4700 mAh 2s Lipo. Propeller is 50 mm Raboesch WW 1 style prop.

Performance chart tests are run in a bath tub: values are taken from an old Astro Whattmeter connected between ESC and battery, and rpm readings with equally old Astro rpm-meter.

MHo

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 05:18:56 pm »

I screwed with editing my message, sorry.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »

............................ Propeller is 50 mm Raboesch WW 1 style prop....................................

2, 3 or 4 blade?

MHo

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:14 am »

Raboesch 162-22, left handed 3-blader, pitch 44,5 mm. 156-10 is identical but the hub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.