Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which make of radio gear  (Read 6751 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Which make of radio gear
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 04:42:24 pm »

I am a newbie  and am looking at getting a radio system for the scale 1/72 Destroyer that I am attempting to build, so much choice of radio systems in 2.4ghz, seen some good advice so far but yet still to make a decision, looking for about 10-12 channels if I can get them as have lots of things to control

4 servos
3 pumps
7 small motors
4 sets of lights

any recommendations please

HI Im in the same boat as you (pardon the pun intended)as I need  the same as you as im building hms tiger in 1/72 scale an want a lot of working features so I need a tx with a rotrary control on it have your's what you have now bought ?
chris

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
Re: Which make of radio gear
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 03:04:57 pm »

Well a very interesting post which I suspect will have us all reaching for our computers to find out just what these TX/RX combinations can ACTUALLY do and how difficult they are to operate  ok2

I suspect that like most of us I am lost to this world of high tech gizmo jargon and benefits that it can bestow on the user , and like the previous post , I to would have loved the multi gimbal system which appeared to use the old system , whilst I feel happy with the [ in my opinion ] the more secure 2.4 system .
I happened to be at Ron's one day when a pair of dutch lads were using a Fatuba Navel set up which looked brilliant and they seemed to be navigating the towed vessel by tank steering on the tugs twin props , very impressed was I .
I made a few discreet enquiries about the TX   but the price made me gasp  :o ........but I would love to see and try a multi gimbal set up , at a sensible price .
The complexity and 16 channels make me gasp on the Firesky but not being familiar with it or the operating restrictions and compatibility with all my hard earned " Action "  kit would align with it .

Like all modellers I am permanently adapting my kit but getting to the stage now where the applications to model boats by these custom made TX/RX systems , so will stay put .

As far as my Specktrum 6i's [ yes I have a back up set ] go I also had a gimbal issue which Horizon repaired FOC bless them , and apart from trying to be clever in buying a knock down Specktrum RX which cost me my model in very deep water [ which was covered on my home policy insurance thank god ] thats been my only issue to date .

On that occasion I did a range check on the model having just had my repaired TX back from a service check  and all seemed fine , then  as the model went away the throttle went full bore and the rudder went hard to port and my £900.00 model was gone in 5M of ink black water  :o

So Replaced it with a better / bigger model and upon receiving the TX back from Horizon along with a complimentary RX  FOC.  I   learnt my lesson the hard way  and will never buy  " Cheap ? " receivers again , and would advise everyone else to do the same .
Hope this helps others in thinking  twice about what to get , and other than going down the route of multiple switcher units in your model all of which I have tried and lay redundant now , I will stay with what I know and trust , thats always
 assuming we will get back on our preferred bit of water again I'll stick with my 6 channels
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.