Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make 1/4 Circle Strip from Styrene?  (Read 2930 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
How to make 1/4 Circle Strip from Styrene?
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:17 am »

Got a problem - I'm building a WW2 1/72 LSM Landing Ship from styrene sheet - it should be easy because it's almost completely made of flat sheets except for the bilges - which will be about 1/4" radius from bow to stern.

I bought 1/2" styrene tube to try to split into 4 quarters but it's not turning out how I envisaged. It seems not as simple as I thought.

I thought about heat forming flat sheet but I can't get it to smoothly drape over a 1/2" pipe.

Another option is making the bilges 10mm flat 45 degree slabs and gluing the 1/4 tube on top and fillering any discrepancy but that is difficult to form around the bends of the hull.

It's doing my head in.

Anyone got a fool-proof solution to create these parts?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to make 1/4 Circle Strip from Styrene?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:42:41 am »

I will be interested to see the replies of others to this question but if nothing better is suggested I have a tested suggestion. I did this once many years ago for a flat sheet although it was not as long a bend as you might be proposing. I tried it after reading about it in a book or a magazine article.

I used the curved top of some skirting board as the radius - but I cannot see why pipe would not work just as well apart from copper pipe being an extremely good conductor of heat which will not help with the heating. A 1/4" radius dowel might need support to stop it bending.

1. I clamped the styrene between a length of wood and the skirting board in a vice.
2. I also clamped the loose end of the styrene between two pieces of wood so that I could pull evenly along the whole length to be formed.
3. I applied local heat (heat gun) carefully along the area to be bent and pulled the loose end around the skirting board former when the styrene was sufficiently flexible.
4. I Let it cool whilst keeping the tension on the styrene.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 12:51:11 pm »

Just a thought, instead of cutting the tube to make curved sections, keep the tube in one piece. Cut holes in the corners of the formers to take the tube, careful cutting will allow the tube to sit proud just enough to allow the external sheeting to sit flush. The sheeting will need angles at the edge to fit on the rounded tube. It might need some heat to allow the tube to take tighter bends..
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »

Just a thought, instead of cutting the tube to make curved sections, keep the tube in one piece. Cut holes in the corners of the formers to take the tube, careful cutting will allow the tube to sit proud just enough to allow the external sheeting to sit flush. The sheeting will need angles at the edge to fit on the rounded tube. It might need some heat to allow the tube to take tighter bends..
Jim
Tried that - that was plan A - the tube is too rigid to bend around the bow and, being a tube, trying to force it means it wants to kink rather than bend.   Heat just makes it collapse.   

It's all just sitting there teasing me.   This is a pic of the Revell 1/144 model of what I'm building.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »

I would be thinking of using standard plastic strip slightly thicker than the sides and bottom and perhaps 1.5 or 2mm wide and effectively plank the curve (may need extra cross section formers to prevent sagging).  Once everything has fully set, give it a preliminary sand down to smooth out the main irregularities then apply filler and use wet and dry to fair everything in and get a smooth curve.

RST

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:29 pm »

I can only suggest to use quadrant or square section and radius the outer corner to suit afterwards.  That's how I do it anyway. It's more dimensionally stable and bends easier that way. Otherwise you might get inspiration on the tmaiya club forum. Some of them are pure pros at manipulating polystyrene.

Rich

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »

I wanted quadrant styrene but it doesn't come in the size I need - I'll have a look at the Tamiya site

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:18:29 pm »

Could try this, from 4D Models
Regards David

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 02:26:42 pm »

They all only sell up to 2.5mm - I need something around 6mm or 1/4"

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 02:42:55 pm »

I have no idea if you can use/ glue it but 6mm plastic quadrant is sold for edging tiling.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Homelux-6mm-PVC-Quadrant-White-Tile-Trim/p/140746

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 02:53:14 pm »

I looked at this stuff too - but it's PVC so I can't glue the styrene to it.

RST

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46:17 pm »

They all only sell up to 2.5mm - I need something around 6mm or 1/4"

10s google search any good?

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/Maquett-plastic-profiles-and-sheets/402-53-3

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 03:48:58 pm »

10s google search any good?

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/Maquett-plastic-profiles-and-sheets/402-53-3
Perfect - thanks - I didn't find this when I was searching.

Just bought it all - but yet another of those rubbish e-commerce sites that require your doctors aunt's inside leg measurement even though you're paying by Paypal.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:50 pm »

Why so complicated? Build up enough layers of Plastic Sheet at 45 degrees, and then just sand down to the required profile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.