Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 23 Frigate  (Read 1007 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Type 23 Frigate
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:28:55 am »

Many, and I do mean many!, years ago I started a plan to build a series of RC models based on Royal Navy destroyers and cruisers.  Like many projects it started with enthusiasm it then descended into a somewhat intermittent process.  Never actually abandoned but with embarrassingly long gaps between models.

The Covid "lock-downs" gave me more free time than usual and the idea to fill it with another RN destroyer seemed attractive.  To make it last longer I chose to do it the hard way, working mainly from magazine photos with only one small drawing for the basic proportions and layout.

Basing the model on a Type 23 Frigate might seem to be odd but these seem closer to the original destroyer classes of yesteryear.  This was one of the reasons that the "destroyer" series included a model of the Type 21 Frigates.  A Type 23 would also produce a handy size of model in the common scale of 1/144 that I had used for these models.

Whilst building the model, mainly balsa sheets again, was not too hard (my facilities are only just above the proverbial kitchen table level) designing it was more demanding.  The pronounced flare in the hull sides along with the angled superstructure sides poised some degree of "head scratching" before the obvious solutions were hit upon.

The result was reasonable, in that knowledgeable spectators can recognize it as a Type 23, and even the ignorant know it's not based on the Titanic!  Performance is good and the modest SPEED 400 motor can drive its 4 pounds weight at way over dynamic scale speed.  It does look impressive though when storming across the lake to chase down some threat.

One admission though, the bow sonar dome was omitted.  It looked a bit risky for some of the waters (rocks around the edges) I use.  Only one regret though, no scale steering competitions to try it out in...

Glynn Guest     

RST

Re: Type 23 Frigate
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:44:24 pm »

That looks really quite superb Mr Guest!

Rich

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 04:33:09 pm »

Excellent model Glynn! The flare looks really smooth and well defined.

Pond weed is your enemy

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 09:54:18 am »

Yes ballastanksian, getting the hull flare and shear plus the angled superstructure sides made this an "interesting" project.  In the end not a difficult task, but something of a "xxxxx" to figure out how do things in the right way and right sequence.  I guess this is why model plans ought to have decent instructions, although it wouldn't help those who choose not to read them...!

Glynn Guest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.