Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another one of those Bait Boats  (Read 3505 times)

spookyspaniel

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another one of those Bait Boats
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:19 pm »

Hi Ladies & gents
I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a bait boat build I would like to start. I know some don’t see these as model projects favourably but if i build it will be with the same love and attention as any other builds in the future plus it will help me understand some of the basics before moving onto other projects.
I’m 63 now and enjoy my fishing but casting doesn’t get any easier and I can more or less drive to my swims but as a pensioner cannot afford the luxury of an overpriced mass produced boat, plus as an ex engineer I enjoy tinkering and making my own when I can. Anyways I digress.
The shell measures L68cm x W 48cm .x H22 cm and is of layered fibreglass. I’ve tried to work out what I need but just want to make sure before I ask the missus for extra pocket money…
My shopping list so far is;
X2 Mtroniks 600 6v-12v Electric Motors (brushed)
 X2 WP 1040 60A Waterproof Brushed ESC [/color]X1 Mtroniks v-tail mixer[/size]
[/color]X2 4mm shafts running either 35mm or 40mm 3 blade props[/size]
[/color]Powered by x2 12v 9ah lead acid batteries hopefully given me a running time of approx 1.5 to 2hrs[/size]
[/color]I’m also led to believe I have to buy a pair of props x1cw & x1ccw and reverse the leads on one motor for reverse operation.[/size]
[/color]The receiver and transmitter are not a problem as I have fitted these before but in case you need to know I will purchase a 2.4g set up[/size]
[/color]I’ve only ever built single motor, small speedboats and yachts’ for the kids when younger and so this is all new to me but the ex engineer in me wants to take this to another level if this one goes to plan.[/size]
[/color]Thank you for listening and thank you for taking the time to answer.  [/size]
[/color]Regards[/size]
[/color]Kev[/size]

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Another one of those Bait Boats
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 12:25:14 am »

All looks good except the Mtroniks 600 motors. On 12v the thing will blast across the water like a demented thing for about 10 minutes, when either the battery will give up the ghost, or the speed controls will go pop!
Suggest something like MFA Como Drills RE540LN or maybe Torpedo 800s. The latter maybe a bit big for the job, but both motors are lower revving but with better torque than the Mtroniks 600, which is a bit of a speed demon!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

spookyspaniel

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:17:16 pm »

Thanks for your reply unbuiltnautilus   :-)) I went for the Mtroniks 600 motors. which run @12.0V @15000RPM and thought i could half that and run on 50% [6 or 7.5 volts] because i had read a few reviews on here about the  Como Drill motors eating batteries and not being reliable so i will take that on board as i  want it running sedately and not aquaplaning {-) all over the lake.
i'm also now looking at the possibility of perhaps two 16mm water jet propulsion units running 380 brushed motors as a lot of bought boats appear to have these in themthanks againkev

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:17:21 am »

Does this mean you will be using lower voltage batteries then? I put one of those 600 motors in a Dateline Marine Cherokee Chief deep vee on 7.2v with a 35mm prop on it, it was still planing..maybe you should consider a sedate motor instead?!

spookyspaniel

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 10:31:20 am »

Hi again,Complete re-think after looking at some production boats and I'm definitely going with two 16mm jet type units which i can get for £6 each, running 380 size motors but now i'm scuppered on the batteries to use. Ive only got lead acid in 12v 9ah and 6 volt 7ah that i use in my other boat, but would have no idea as to the size lipo batteries to buy to get a running time of an hour plus [obviously not constant but 5 to 10 mins at a time] i assume ,which isnt always the best thing to do as this is a complete minefield to me, that i will need two 3s 7.4v and a couple of spares if i can afford them but no idea of the mah . I already have the wp1040 60amp esc's and v tail mixer which were  from another project that didnt happen and hopefully they can still be used.Thanks again.Kev

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:49 pm »

With 380 motors don't even think of 11.1v LiPo or 12v gel batteries. These things are ampy enough at lower voltages. You will need to do some fettling to those jet drives to get them running smooth. Used them for a Navy/Schools project earlier in the year, and they shout out £6 quality units! I would suggest hard case buggy LiPos if I was you. They have higher C ratings than most of the soft skin flight packs ( C Rating is how much juice you can suck out of them before buggering them up!. A 20C 2200mAh pack can sustain 20x2200mAh, or about 44 Amps being drawn out of them without damage. A 40C or 50C battery can take much more abuse..just my view ok2 ).
You could still consider big capacity 6V Gel batteries, not ideal for 380 motors, but should be fine for short spurts out and back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.