Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky+ HD box issues - Feed 2 signal lock loss?  (Read 1718 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Sky+ HD box issues - Feed 2 signal lock loss?
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:52 pm »

OK, I know Sky support say 'need a new box, that's nearly 300 quid before we'll send a new one'! Well they would say that because their idea of 'support' is a new box.
Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has had this issue. Since a recent software update which Sky Support also say would 'never cause a box to malfunction' (ho, ho, after a lifetime software testing, I know that statement is totally incorrect!), my HD box has started losing signal lock, mainly of Feed 2. This presents an on screen message that the box isnt getting a signal, similar to when there's a heavy rainstorm. Sometimes the message is displaying as soon as the tv \ Sky is switched on.

Strangely, this signal lock loss only seems to happen between 10.00am and 11.00am which is roughly the time the Sun is shining directly on the dish \ LNB. This could just be co incidence as it is usually around this time the tv \ Sky is switched on.

I would have thought since Feed 1 has a signal lockwhile Feed 2 doesnt, that we'd get a picture but no other channel preview same as in single feed mode but we dont.
If I reboot the box, fully functionality and pictures are restored. So far, signal lock isnt then lost while the box is on.

Im wondering if the issue is with the LNB rather than the box per se. Has anyone had similar loss of signal lock, bought a replacement Sky box and then found they still got the same signal lock loss message? Conversely, anyone had this issue, bought a replacement box and the issue went away?
TIA

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sky+ HD box issues - Feed 2 signal lock loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:53 pm »

Try swopping the LNB leads over on the back of your box. If the fault also moved then it is either the LNB or the cable, but if it stays as a Feed 2 fault then it is the receiver.

Sky normally become much more accommodating if you ask to speak to cancellations (you will need your viewing card or account number) & then tell them that keeping Sky TV isn't worth £300 & you are asking how to cancel - you don't actually have to cancel.

I assume that you have done the standard  turn off at mains, remove card, leave for over one minute, turn on leave for 5 mins, replace card routine.

Finally have you tried forcing it to reinstall its software?

We had a Sky+ box many years ago that started playing up & we couldn't see why. In the end it was when the box was in the sun & it was overheating. Didn't last long after that but we cooled it to watch what was recorded and until the new free box arrived.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:49:18 pm »

Not sure but daft thing is I seem to have read somewhere that regardless of the fact you pay for the equipment you never actually own it !!, which to me suggests you are paying an upfront rental fee..  as per the previous post just ask for cancellations and I am sure it will be sorted..

Further to my post it looks like you lease sky q box but do own the sky HD box !!
Assume they are different. !!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:20:02 pm »

Yes totally different and yes you own a Sky HD box but lease a Sky Q box.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:58:16 pm »

Sky controls your box Mine is forever freezing doing marathon recording (ie not stopping when recording should  finish) or failing to record due Power failure though nowt else has been affected  . Its done to try and get you to upgrade or buy a new box. Think back to the earlier days pre catch up time they used to record  stuff they thought you might like using up storage space  regardless and you were not told.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 07:35:42 am »

Sky controls your box Mine is forever freezing doing marathon recording (ie not stopping when recording should  finish) or failing to record due Power failure though nowt else has been affected  . Its done to try and get you to upgrade or buy a new box. Think back to the earlier days pre catch up time they used to record  stuff they thought you might like using up storage space  regardless and you were not told.

My SkyHD box doesn't do any of that & you can turn off the recording of things that they think might interest you but they still keep the space reserved in case you change your mind.
You have either got very bad settings or your box is faulty.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:52:56 am »

You have either got very bad settings or your box is faulty

You could be correct Tug but there are  Very very many with the same or similar  issues .Where did you learn to be a Remote engineer[/size] :}

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 10:24:23 am »

..................but there are  Very very many with the same or similar  issues :}
But most of us don't which tends to undermine your conspiracy theory.  :}

The only faults with mine - or the other family members that I support is that occasionally it looses a series link - which is often the result of a time, or even channel change - or it starts going mad where a reboot, as I posted above, has always cured it. I set up new boxes in the Engineers Menu.

The only failures we have had is one LNB and 2 boxes that suffered heat failures but all these were 15+ years ago.
We all have SkyHD & thus none of us has SkyQ yet although they have offered it to me for nothing. Trouble is you loose access to everything that you have recorded.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 02:55:45 pm »

i had trouble with my sky box  sky tried to sell me a new one what on my  ss pension cancell my subs i said  two days later  a new box arrived free of charge  try it 

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 04:38:36 pm »

I went out and bought a freesat box then cancelled my sky subscription, freesat box cost just 3 months of sky subscription, and still gets all the channels i want to watch.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »

Moved in 2015 - just found out Sky have not updated my details  >>:-(

It's making it very difficult to upgrade >:-o

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 06:52:07 pm »

Conspiracy  well way back I made the same statement on sky forum on the same topic  ''Freezing'' not actual faults as that was the topic an awful lot get it. Any road not really relevant to the OP

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 01:14:58 pm »

Sadly, Im less than 6 months into an 18 month contract so ditching Sky isnt an option at this point. However, in just over 12 months it will be if they dont give me a further discount to the one I negotiated for this contract. Already using a Roku streaming stick and I'll buy a Now TV day pass for the sport I will want to watch when the time comes.
For now, the loss of signal lock is only a mild irritation and only seems to happen between the times stated and on bright, sunny days.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »

If you talk to Sky and ask the cost
of cancelling you contract, then
the cancellations team have a lot
of leeway on offers.
They may give you a better deal
switching to Q no charge for boxes
and they will change the LNB and
probably the dish if it is more than
a couple of years old. With Q you can
record up to six programmes at once
and you have up to a couple of
terabytes of disc space.
Well worth a phone call and
the threat of going to Vermin
helps.
Mondays are best early as the
guys in retentions have a limited
amount of offers.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 08:33:27 pm »

Sky Digital boxes have loads of known faults - from the fan failing or clogging up with dust so the unit runs hot and also marginal power supplies.   When you are working the hard-drive recording programmes from both inputs and maybe time-lagged a couple of minutes too, the power supply can't hack it so odd faults occur like corruptions, lock ups, sudden power-downs, resets and picture loss.     Things don't get better with age either.

Improving airflow around the box, blowing out all the dust and making sure it's not in direct sunlight makes a happier box.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.