Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A class destroyers  (Read 978 times)

jumpin_jack

• Full Mayhemer
A class destroyers
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:00:27 pm »

Hi all, I'm looking to build Hms Acasta, an A class destroyer built around 1930, I am intending to base it on the Deans kit Hms Vanquisher a V and W class of destroyer from an earlier era.
 This is the closest kit that i can find to match the Acasta, (unless anybody knows any different). The main differences that I can find are that the rear gun platform maybe bigger and the central AA platform between the funnels maybe different.
  Would love to know if anyone has built the Vanquisher kit? and would it be one that I could make the above changes too without upsetting the dynamics of the kit.
Regards
Phil

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: A class destroyers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:08:11 pm »

Hi Phil

I’m looking at three destroyers to help you to compare the different types- obviously HMS Acasta, HMS Vanquisher, and HMS Daring.
To get as close to dimensions of Acasta the Vanquisher will come out a lot smaller than an A class whilst Daring will be a little larger. Deans Marine do the Vanquisher as you say but also do a Daring, both could be converted to be an almost right model one smaller and one a bit larger.
Acasta is 98.5m long and 9.83m wide giving a model length of 1.02m by 0.102m
Vanquisher is 95.1m long and 8.2m wide giving a model length of 0.99m by 0.085m
Daring is 100.3m long and 10.1m wide giving a model length of 1.04m by 0.105m

Daring is probably the better bet as she is closer to an A class as she is inherently based upon these vessels just being a little larger sister.
You could change the bridge superstructure with a bit of modification but a majority of the kit could be used whilst you’d probably waste a lot of the Vanquisher parts.
Just my opinion and others may have further information but I know a modeller in the Shipcraft British Destroyers A-I and Tribal classes by Les Brown did a conversion of the Deans Marine Daring to the F class Faulknor.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

jumpin_jack

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A class destroyers
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:14:43 pm »

Hi Nick, thankyou very much, I'd not considered using Daring as a starting platform. It certainly looks to be better suited to the Acasta.
Many thanks
Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.