Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence  (Read 17327 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Concessionary Oldies TV Licence
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:54:10 pm »

I have received a notification that our TV licence will no longer be free.  The Licence is in the wife name as she reached the qualifying age first . If I dig my heels in and on principle refuse to pay cos the Con party made an election promise that it would remain free, will they send the fuzz round and take her away ? %)
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 02:16:04 pm »

Probably not but the BBC will probably take you to court. Then you will have to pay the licence plus their costs.
Principles can be expensive! (and politician's promises unenforceable)

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:24:20 pm »

They're not actually stopping the concession (yet), they're changing the qualifying criteria. I don't know yet whether the changes have been ratified and an actual date set🤔

Regards,
Ray.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:38:41 pm »

Probably not but the BBC will probably take you to court. Then you will have to pay the licence plus their costs.
Principles can be expensive! (and politician's promises unenforceable)

Colin

But what do they do if we ALL still refuse to pay the fines, Throw us out of our houses, take all our goods, throw us all on the streets?

And don't forget that you do not have to allow any person including plod, into your home unless they have a warrant to do so.

LB

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:55:11 pm »

Become an MP, you then get a free second home and a free tv licence.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:06:56 pm »

And don't forget that you do not have to allow any person including plod, into your home unless they have a warrant to do so.

You mean like a bailiff appointed by the Court? Good luck with your barrack-room law book when they come knocking.  They never call without legal authority to enter premises and distrain on goods and chattels, and when they do their fees and costs fall to be paid by the 'debtor'.

As to politicians' promises, it would be illuminating to note down all those currently being spouted in a certain leadership contest and then compare them with the list of those which are subsequently followed through. Who was it said that you can easily spot a politician who's lying because it's when his/her lips move? Do we never learn??

Tough old life, innit?

DaveM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 03:23:25 pm »

But what do they do if we ALL still refuse to pay the fines

In your dreams LB! It will never happen.

Politicians have shrugged off the responsibility onto the BBC who are not accountable - clever!

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:43:16 pm »

Crafty Gov Move
Get the populace to
blame Aunty and no
votes lost from the ever
growing oldie populace.
Trouble is, we are the oldies
with a lot more nous than years
ago and know what's happening.
My letter tells me I can watch BBC
repeats for free until end of May
next year, 2 years and 6 months for
free.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 04:28:54 pm »

Timing is about what I have come to expect - just in time for my 75th.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »

go to show the bbc is no long fit for purpose. Time to get rid of it .

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »

You wouldn't neeed a licence then, but neither would there be any programmes. You'd have to spend all your time watching Love Island...... (and the adverts)

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 05:55:38 pm »

John
By what chain of logic from the original subject have you come to that conclusion, and what would you have replace it? If you've ever been to the USA and seen the moronic travesty they have for TV then you'd regret even having thought of abolishing the Beeb. I'd rather pay a TV licence and keep the BBC than put money into Branson's or Murdoch's pocket.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 06:32:24 pm »

I completely agree with Dave, US TV is the ultimate nightmare and our commercial channels are heading in the same direction. Think Bruce Springsteen's song: '57 channels and nothing on!' which sums it up very well.

These days you find that a lot of commercial channel 1 hour programmes have only 40 minutes of subject time. The rest is all adverts and it is getting worse.

Colin

RST

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 06:59:23 pm »

I'm with the sensible others, US TV represents the absolute worst quality broadcasting.  But outside of the UK everything seems to be similar.

I have a love-hate relationship with the BEEB these days.  I used to vehemently defend it, but it's getting worse every time I watch it now. and I don't think it's working well these days.  Making iplayer sign-in only, and finding out the BBC part owns Dave (with adverts) grinds my gears.    It seems too interested in quantity rather than quality these days.  The additional Scottish channel really p***s me off when there's already essentially a Scottish channel, and has been for donkeys years.  The quality of BBC News is slowly sliding sliding downhill and that for me is sacrosanct.

I don't like paying my fee these days to be honest but I really believe it should be free for pensioners.  I think BBC's onto a looser now though when there's buffoons like that elderly twit MP on Any Questions the other weekend who insisted free TV and public transport were removed for pensioners.  Despite being challenged 3 times or more, he couldn't acknowledge the fact that just because he was earning a full wage at 75+ years, not everyone else is!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 07:07:25 pm »

but I really believe it should be free for pensioners.

As a pensioner I don't agree with that. I have a decent pension, as do many others, believe it or not, and I can afford the licence fee with no problems. Concessions should depend on low income rather than age. I have no problem with people on low incomes getting free or rebated BBC licences but for many people age doesn't come into it.

People get emotive without thinking these things through. Unfortunately they often also vote on the same principle.

Colin

RST

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 07:28:30 pm »

Don't include me in the group of people on that last comment please!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »

No, it was just a general comment and not aimed at you personally. But there is this sort of assumption that pensioner=poor but the reality is that poor does not necessarily embrace all pensioners by any means.

If there is a concession available then I will take it if I am legally entitled such as my bus pass and winter fuel allowance on the principle that I am probably losing out in other areas but if the law changes in an effort to make things more equitable for those on low incomes then I will not object if I cease to qualify.

The reallity of life is that sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and sometimes you are not so my philosophy is to take it when on offer on the basis that things could soon go in the opposite direction. We all have to do the best we can for ourselves and our dependents and life can be complicated.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 08:44:41 pm »

I
I have a love-hate relationship with the BEEB these days. 

Me also .   I used to have great regard for the BEEB , that was until they utterly disgraced themselves over the Sir Cliff Richard debacle.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 10:55:28 am »

But what do they do if we ALL still refuse to pay the fines, Throw us out of our houses, take all our goods, throw us all on the streets?

LB
Whilst not wishing to sound pedantic, or be annoying  , but the police do not always need a warrant to enter your house . Yes there are times when that is necessary however there are many laws that give a power of entry .
Bart

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:52 am »

LB

You can extend that logic to absolutely any crime/ action you choose. Doesn't sound so good now.

It appears to be happening with Class A drugs if you believe the press.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 11:53:11 am »

As a pensioner I don't agree with that. I have a decent pension, as do many others, believe it or not, and I can afford the licence fee with no problems. Concessions should depend on low income rather than age. I have no problem with people on low incomes getting free or rebated BBC licences but for many people age doesn't come into it.

People get emotive without thinking these things through. Unfortunately they often also vote on the same principle.

Colin
I'm with you Colin.  I've never understood why the free licence kicked in at 75.  Why not pension age if the principle was that pensioners needed the help? But as you say, many of us are fortunate enough not to need it, and I for one will happily continue to pay it for as long as I can.  Having lived in the US for three years, I can only endorse the other comments about TV over there.  There's a reason BBC series are so popular in America, and we should be grateful for the generally high quality output and balanced reporting we get here.
Greg

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »

Greg,

Agree with all of that.

I do support universal pensioner bus passes however. If it wasn't for the large number of pensioners on buses virtually all routes would be uneconomic & very quickly lost. Pensioners, I believe, keep numbers on buses high and thus routes viable.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 03:32:06 pm »

All well and good.
BUT If I do not watch any
BBC channels, why should
I have to subsidise them?
The present tech for digital
TV would allow BBC programmes
to be blocked.
Balanced reporting  %) %)
Psml :D
Ned

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »

BUT If I do not watch any BBC channels, why should I have to subsidise them?
If you applied that logic in its broadest sense then I could reasonably demand a hefty discount on my council tax because I don't personally use schools, libraries, leisure centres, sports pitches, public transport, care homes (yet...), parks, blah blah blah. In fact all seem to I get for my almost three grand a year is street lighting and empty wastebins..... and don't get me started on Income Tax and VAT  >>:-(

You have to pay for a TV Licence because the law says that you must. Blaming the BBC for a political decision which was foisted upon them isn't right. It's as simple as that, Ned.

DaveM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »

Agree Dave.
The Gov did the dirty on
the Beeb, putting the ball in
their court so not taking the
blame. The fact that we all need
schools  and so on are necessary
to life, but TV and Radio have an OFF
switch and are not essential to
everyday life.
Just my tuppence  ;)
Ned
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.