Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence  (Read 17330 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 06:46:12 pm »

At the end of the day there are a whole load of things that the government funds which are not essential. A couple of examples from a very long list. Grants for historical buildings, electric cars etc etc. Why should I pay my taxes so that somebody can be subsidised to buy an electric car or have their building repaired?
The licence fee is effectively a tax which is seen to separate the BBC from the government but is none the less effectively a tax.
We all pay for things that we don't use.

Just my opinion.  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 07:12:34 pm »

I think you are mixing things up a bit there.

Grants for electric vehicles are a positive tax incentive to get people to switch from polluting engines to emission free ones in the interests of the health of the nation. (let's leave aside for the moment the upfront pollution issues on manufacturing electric cars etc.) If you are iin the market for either a petrol car for £20k or an electric equivalent at £30k which has a battery which might degenerate into a lifeless brick in five years time which one will you choose? Unless you are a Saint it's a no brainer. A subsidy might change your mind however.

Historical buildings are different. These are effectively national heirlooms which should be preserved for posterity. In the meantime they are in the ownership (custodianship?) of people who will incur much higher than average costs in maintaining them. All buildings need to be maintained but it is a lot cheaper if you can fit replacement UPVC windows instead of Georgian leaded lights or replace the thatched roof with concrete tiles rather than having it re thatched. You can't turn all these places into museums funded from the public purse so it is much more cost effective to financially support those who are willing to take on these money pits to help preserve our historic heritage.

And if you don't recognise that such historic heritage exists then label yourself as a Philistine!

These things are never as simple as people want to believe.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »

The purpose of taxation is primarily to raise revenue. It isn't, as some would have us believe, a payment for the specific services or benefits which we receive on a personal basis. It matters little what the tax/contribution/levy/licence fee/whatever is called, all the money goes into the same pot - to be allocated according to the whims of the party of government at the time. It's therefore meaningless to complain that, for example, motorists are unfairly penalised or that obese people should pay more in tax because they use the NHS more than thin people. I forget who said "from each according to his means; to each according to his needs" but it serves to illustrate the concept very well.

I was a revenue man for over 30 years and I never once met anyone who professed to enjoy paying tax, especially those who worked for the government!

Always bear in mind that there are just three things in life which are inevitable; birth, death and taxes. Get used to it.

DM

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 07:45:34 pm »

I think you are mixing things up a bit there.

Grants for electric vehicles are a positive tax incentive to get people to switch from polluting engines to emission free ones in the interests of the health of the nation. (let's leave aside for the moment the upfront pollution issues on manufacturing electric cars etc.) If you are iin the market for either a petrol car for £20k or an electric equivalent at £30k which has a battery which might degenerate into a lifeless brick in five years time which one will you choose? Unless you are a Saint it's a no brainer. A subsidy might change your mind however.

Historical buildings are different. These are effectively national heirlooms which should be preserved for posterity. In the meantime they are in the ownership (custodianship?) of people who will incur much higher than average costs in maintaining them. All buildings need to be maintained but it is a lot cheaper if you can fit replacement UPVC windows instead of Georgian leaded lights or replace the thatched roof with concrete tiles rather than having it re thatched. You can't turn all these places into museums funded from the public purse so it is much more cost effective to financially support those who are willing to take on these money pits to help preserve our historic heritage.

And if you don't recognise that such historic heritage exists then label yourself as a Philistine!

These things are never as simple as people want to believe.

Colin
Buying any new car is a choice - you don't have to. and yes government money is spent to modify behaviour but it is still me paying for you to buy a car. My taxes your car whilst I go most places on the bus or train.

Historical buildings might be national heirlooms but a lot of people never visit them nor have any particular interest in them but pay for them. They obviously matter to you and you don't have to be a philistine not to be interested in them. Personally I would like to have saved one of the big railway coaling towers but what do I know?

This comes down to what each of us like is essential & "right" but the rest is waste. I doubt if any of us share a definition.

The BBC is just one of a long list. I don't watch much of it but I do regard it as the standard setter and without it I would be concerned about the race to the bottom.

I reckon a fair chunk of what I am taxed for is a waste & a fair chunk of the rest is spent badly - 2 aircraft carriers being a case in point - but I am equally sure that your list would be different. The BBC is a very small part of this.

Agree about death & taxes. There is always someone who thinks that they can spend my money better than I can and claim legitimacy in so doing.

I will be leaving this topic now as there is little hope of a consensus answer.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 08:15:47 pm »

The trouble these days is that everybody wants everything for nothing and if they don't want it they don't see why anybody else should have it.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 08:18:25 pm »

My understanding is that buses and trains are heavily subsidised, I rarely use either but I do recognise the need for it.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 08:44:59 pm »

At the end of the day, on the 1st June
next year, all of us over 75 will roll over
and buy a new licence.  <:(
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »

Just scrap it altogether and go as a paid service if you want it.

Sure lineker is worth every penny !!!

Like the £19 pound monthly RIP off line rental  charge which in most cases you must have to have Broadband.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 10:41:04 pm »

At the end of the day, on the 1st June
next year, all of us over 75 will roll over
and buy a new licence.  <:(
Ned

Because we won't have any other option, short of ending up in court and having to pay even more.

And I won't be voting for my current MP in future just because his party reneged on the deal that said they WEREN'T going to do exactly what they have done.
Regards
Kit

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 11:19:00 pm »

Kit
Because we won't have any other option, short of ending up in court and having to pay even more. And I won't be voting for my current MP in future just because his party reneged on the deal that said they WEREN'T going to do exactly what they have done.
I really think you've got the hang of this democracy thing...  8)   Pass that message on!
DaveM

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 02:06:45 pm »

I have heard that they are some honest decent politicians on the planet ; but they are only visiting.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

RST

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 11:03:26 pm »

I worked with someone who didn't have a TV or paid a licence -they exclusively played games and streamed movies.
They had absolutely no clue what was happening around them.  More to the point they didn't care at all as long as facebook and social media was still going.

Bit like "The Donald", they didn't take any news, forecasts, no interest in what was happening local or national.  Minimal interest in anything overseas.  They had pretty much no idea about anything pre-2000 in history, I admire them for movies though -everything was brand new stories, absolutely no such thing as a re-make to them.  But they were the folk killing the high street also, used to order on-line rather than going to a local shop -400m from work on the excuse "not going that way" -WTF, you only had to walk 5mins before seeing the shop!

The BBC needs to keep going but I don't agree with allot of it now.  Neither do I agree with it having to announce presenters pay packets!  This is the UK not Norway.  I really don't blame good presenters for leaving it.  I guess that's a different story.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 01:54:10 pm »

i will not be voting for my mp next time

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 07:15:18 am »

As I have mentioned before on another post, our ABC is fully paid for out of government revenue.
Just no mention of a license fee.
Since i do not earn enough to pay tax my viewing is free.   ;)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2019, 08:45:08 am »

Well yes & no Brian.........

I am in the same earning category, however a few cents from every tank full of petrol goes to pay for our new ABC Boss 'Ita:kiss: :kiss: .....but also for the Federal  :police:  to raid our ABC offices  %)

Reading into the future, I believe 'Ita Butrose' will improve Governance of the ABC which can only help consumers

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »

I guess that the over 75 free TV licence was only bought in to buy votes (paid for by us)?

If you want a real good discussion did you know that a Council tenant can buy the property they are renting and get a discount of getting on for £81k!!! Rather makes the grants towards buying electric vehicles look like small change!

The result being that some Councils have lost large chunks of their housing stock when there are calls for more social housing  - more joined up government thinking, not! I thought that when Labour got in last time, under Blair, that it would be scrapped but no chance.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2019, 10:47:28 pm »

I forget who said "from each according to his means; to each according to his needs"
DM
It was Karl Marx setting out the basis for communism, but as ever with politicians,  those in power always have more needs than the proles they "serve".

RST

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 11:13:20 pm »

i will not be voting for my mp next time

...Fair play.  Can't remember mine but I hate the SNP so not remembering mine is somewhat immaterial.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2019, 03:07:35 am »

Come to Australia, we haven't had TV or radio licences since 18th September 1974 :}

Peter.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2019, 12:23:23 pm »

quote from the sun newspaper  today  page 13 people not buying tv licence  useing nexflix how 

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 04:46:42 pm »

useing nexflix how
Is this a question, Gordon?
DM

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2019, 08:08:34 pm »

yes we had a power cut  will finish question how do people get away with out  paying for a tv  licence

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 09:37:28 am »

quote from the sun newspaper  today  page 13 people not buying tv licence  useing nexflix how
Yes, the Sun, "reliable distributor of accuate facts", or not, depending on what you know, but with big pictures.
The odd times that I have had any involvement with any story (story definitions include fiction) run by the Sun, I have yet to see any actual facts make it to print.  Statements of what the owners would like the facts to be, but not facts.  By extrapolation, this is probably true of the rest of their efforts.  Not saying that they are the only paper to bend facts and truth to fit their own agenda.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 09:53:14 am »

I'm 100% in agreement there, Malcolm, so here's the unadorned facts from the folk who will jump on you if you transgress their rules https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104#
The question remains, however, about how they can tell whether or not you also watch BBC i-player or live TV.
DaveM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.