Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence  (Read 17328 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 12:40:21 pm »

The question remains, however, about how they can tell whether or not you also watch BBC i-player or live TV.
DaveM

It is a legal requirement that all transmitted television is required to include BBC.  So watch SKY Sports and you are doing so with BBC capability, whether you watch BBC or not. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 01:07:46 pm »

The question remains, however, about how they can tell whether or not you also watch BBC i-player or live TV.
Or will you ONLY comply with the law if there is a chance of being caught?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 01:23:57 pm »

You won't believe how aggressive they get if they are aware of an address that doesn't have a TV licence - regardless of whether there is a TV there or not and regardless of whether the address is occupied or not.

Their 99.95% assumption is that you are evading the licence fee.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 01:31:58 pm »

They are probably 80% correct!  :-)) :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 01:52:25 pm »

You won't believe how aggressive they get if they are aware of an address that doesn't have a TV licence - regardless of whether there is a TV there or not and regardless of whether the address is occupied or not.

Agree, a friend who did not have a television for about 5 years after moving into his first house was hounded for years as they just could not believe he did not have one, in the end he let one of the busy bodies in who agreed that it would seem that he had no tv as there was not even an aerial socket on any of the walls, no sign of any outside aerial etc etc.. he was then warned !!! that they would be back if it was found out that he did have one !!!!! 
When I worked for a rental Company we had to pass on all address details of the purchaser of any Tv.

It really is about time that the BBC fell in line with the other channels and go Pay as you view, heck even put ads on.   8) 8)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »

A the end of the day it is a tax on property which the government wants to be seen as having a distance from. Just add it to the Council Tax bill and pass it on just like they do with the police precept, parish council precept etc etc etc. which even allows for those on low incomes who get help to pay it

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 02:56:16 pm »

When I worked for a rental Company we had to pass on all address details of the purchaser of any Tv.

This was also for  HP purchasers reason  they could not confiscate the TV as it was not yours'

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 03:35:42 pm »

Used to be the rule for any TV sale
new or secondhand from a shop.
There was a booklet of forms, one to be
filled in at each purchase.
In the good old days the detector vans
picked up the rfi from the lopt and knew
you were switched on.
Digi is a different kettle of fish, plus
I am on the beach now and not privy to
the devious means of e surveillance
or ecm.
Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 05:55:43 pm »

This was also for  HP purchasers reason  they could not confiscate the TV as it was not yours'

Cash sales as well as we rented and sold..

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 12:45:04 pm »

a friend of mine has a large screen tv that he uses to render digital movies and backgrounds that he creates, he doesnt watch tv and had a visit, when it was pointed out he had a tv set he then pointed out that he didnt have an aerial, or wish to watch tv. he still gets the odd visit from them trying to catch him watching tv.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 12:56:43 pm »

Cash sales as well as we rented and sold..
:}  Same difference they just needed to know if they could take the set.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:20 pm »

Oh just had a nice letter from them telling me all about why my licence runs out next May

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 02:07:21 pm »

We in the RAF (and probably in the entire British armed forces) have to pay a tv licence for our rooms not just for the block/house due to military regulations. When I first joined up we paid a small amount towards the block tv license but it changed so each individual had to have their own. And to add more salt in to the wound the RAF then invited the tv license checkers around the camps to catch anyone who didn’t have a license! The issue I have when I move camps is that the rooms are not postal addresses so trying to create ‘an address ‘ that technically doesn’t exist!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2019, 11:54:06 pm »

How is this fair, I'm a massive R4 fan. When I'm out the country it seems I have full and free access to listen to R4 shows live via BBC internet site, any back dated shows or recordings also. In the UK I'm blocked from both or listening to anything recorded without a "subscription",  and radio doesn't even need a license!!!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2019, 05:31:47 am »

'Fair' doesn't come into it, it's Government sponsored corporate greed at work here.  >:-o
Regards
Kit

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2019, 10:30:30 am »

...it's Government sponsored corporate greed at work here.  >:-o
I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind that statement.
DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2019, 01:56:29 pm »

How is this fair, I'm a massive R4 fan. When I'm out the country it seems I have full and free access to listen to R4 shows live via BBC internet site, any back dated shows or recordings also. In the UK I'm blocked from both or listening to anything recorded without a "subscription",  and radio doesn't even need a license!!!

You just have to register. There is no fee, so not a subscription.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2019, 05:03:42 pm »

I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind that statement.
DaveM

The Government have passed the administration of the licence wholly to the BBC, which means it's totally out of any democratic control. The BBC in turn can just demand any amount they feel like, and they are doing just that. If that isn't greed I don't know what is.
Regards
Kit

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2019, 03:05:32 pm »

The Government have passed the administration of the licence wholly to the BBC, which means it's totally out of any democratic control. The BBC in turn can just demand any amount they feel like, and they are doing just that. If that isn't greed I don't know what is.
No they don't, the government still sets the level of the fee: http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/general/licence_fee
"The Government is responsible for setting the level of the licence fee and in 2016 announced that it would rise in line with inflation for five years from 1 April 2017."
The BBC is now lumbered with paying for the over 75's licenses rather than the government. They have decided not to take on this extra bill, possibly because the politicians are still prone to claim they are responsible for what is seen as A Good Thing if they do. Those same politicians aren't quite so keen on taking any responsibility to A Bad Thing.

Local councils have suffered this for years. Government is very good at coming up with half-baked ideas that suddenly become the local authorities problem to deliver, problems that don't normally come with sufficient funding to carry them out, but by that point the politician concerned has lost interest and gone back to fiddling their expenses.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2019, 03:16:43 pm »

No they don't, the government still sets the level of the fee: http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/general/licence_fee
"The Government is responsible for setting the level of the licence fee and in 2016 announced that it would rise in line with inflation for five years from 1 April 2017."
The BBC is now lumbered with paying for the over 75's licenses rather than the government. They have decided not to take on this extra bill, possibly because the politicians are still prone to claim they are responsible for what is seen as A Good Thing if they do. Those same politicians aren't quite so keen on taking any responsibility to A Bad Thing.

Local councils have suffered this for years. Government is very good at coming up with half-baked ideas that suddenly become the local authorities problem to deliver, problems that don't normally come with sufficient funding to carry them out, but by that point the politician concerned has lost interest and gone back to fiddling their expenses.

{-) {-) {-) {-)

(Well, it's that or  <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-( <:( <:( <:( )

And be careful - we're getting dangerously close to politics here -  :police: .

Greg

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2019, 06:03:07 pm »

And be careful - we're getting dangerously close to politics here -  :police: .

That's because it's a political subject.

I don't care who's demanding the money from me, I protest strongly about having such a 'benefit' taken away when I've been enjoying it after years of toil and paying in.
Regards
Kit

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2019, 06:36:52 pm »

I questioned this fee and was told "it is fee for having equipment capable of receiving the transmission signal" nemesis

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »

I don't care who's demanding the money from me, I protest strongly about having such a 'benefit' taken away when I've been enjoying it after years of toil and paying in.
When you're going hunting with a big gun it's always a good idea to identify the right target. You may end up shooting yourself in the foot....and having two of them isn't much of a consolation.   8)
DM

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2019, 12:32:20 am »

It's not so much that the creepies have done it , as the sneaky way they have done it .  Go on ! call another election and give us a chance to express our disgust , dare you   >>:-(
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2019, 06:47:30 pm »

That's because it's a political subject.

You are paying for an ongoing service. Someone has to, presumably that someone ought to be those paying for your pension while compulsory building up their own so the state can abrogate that responsibility in the future, as well as struggling to afford a house (guess who got the cheap housing?) and paying off their student loans (guess who got free education?) and watching all their local services taken away (libraries? Those were things we had when we were kids but not now).

If you really can't afford it, claim benefit and you get it for free.

And I've seen license fee-free TV in Australia and Canada. It's horrible. The BBC may not be perfect, but it's probably the least worst system.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.